Apple bumps MacBooks to Santa Rosa; offers 2.6GHz MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 41 of 162
    Ah, the Black Tax lives on, though at this point I shouldn't be surprised anymore.

-Clive
  • Reply 42 of 162
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clockworks View Post

If I buy from Amazon, how do I know if I'm getting a "new" MacBook with Santa Rosa and Leopard?

from the Model No and CPU Clock frequency you can find out ...
  • Reply 43 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Ah, the Black Tax lives on, though at this point I shouldn't be surprised anymore.

-Clive

and it is heft one, i think we should start filing petition on this one, it does not look good this marketing strategy for two over years ... apple fans taken for granted i guess
  • Reply 44 of 162
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

and it is heft one, i think we should start filing petition on this one, it does not look good this marketing strategy for two over years ... apple fans taken for granted i guess

No one forces you to buy a black model over a white one. If you don't think the black is worth the extra money, simple - don't buy it!
  • Reply 45 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdcat View Post

I was wondering: can a resident of Canada just have an order shipped to him/her from Apple's US website? Does Apple refuse to do so?

I presume it's possible to alter the default language to Canadian English or French.

I wish I could order from the US store but they won't accept Canadian credit cards (beatable, I know) or addresses (only beatable if I want to put up a fake address in the US... which I don't).

Same problem with iTunes music store... "I'm sorry but that selection is not available in your local iTunes store. Please click here and go away".
  • Reply 46 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

It's a real shame that the base model still has only a combo drive and an 80 GB HDD. Why don't they use a slower and cheaper 1.8 GHz Core 2 and use the money saved to increase the HDD and Optical drive without sacrificing their precious margins?

I'm sure that most people would choose

1.8 GHz

Double-layer DVD burner

120 GB HDD

at $1099

over

2.0 GHz

Combo drive

80 GB HDD

at $1099.

is this you Mr. H?

anyway i donot care, i have MBB version i feel for the who wants a BlackVersion just have to top up $200 for that variant ...
  • Reply 47 of 162
    Does anyone know how long it usually takes amazon and/or CDW to start offering new macs after they're released?
  • Reply 48 of 162
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

The MacBook is extremely sturdy - lots of internal metal plates and bracing.

All LCDs have glass in them so you're SOL on that one.

If it's extremely sturdy that's great. But I've heard more people having problems with MacBooks than with PowerBook G4 12". And the MacBook isn't compact. I'll wait a little longer. But it's good to know that it's sturdy though.
  • Reply 49 of 162
    Doesn't Apple usually quietly release updates prior to a major redesign as a way to hold people over?
  • Reply 50 of 162
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I know profit margins are nearly everything with Apple, but come on now.

Yeah. What kind of evil corp goes around trying to make money. Apple should be focused on my personal happiness.

A new MBP delivered free to my door might help my image of them...
  • Reply 51 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Restalot View Post

I wish I could order from the US store but they won't accept Canadian credit cards (beatable, I know) or addresses (only beatable if I want to put up a fake address in the US... which I don't).

Same problem with iTunes music store... "I'm sorry but that selection is not available in your local iTunes store. Please click here and go away".

Sounds like an opportunity for someone to open up a "gray market" store, transshipping orders to Canada.

I did business once with a Canadian in B.C. who simply drove over the border and mailed his orders to US customers from a US Post Office to save time and customs hassles
  • Reply 52 of 162
    sweeeet... so that means: increased front side bus, more cache, the ability to upgrade your macbook to 4gb ram (true ?), and a "new" gpu... not too bad.

still i find it funny how some people in the forums go on about: "if apple adds this or that to their macbook, i'm going to buy one"... yeah, so when the day comes that apple finally puts a blueray drive in their macbooks or an led back lit screen or a gpu you can play games with - I'm SOOO in the market... hehe - which means you could also wait forever... apple would be stupid to give it to big updates. it would cannibalize the mbp. must be a blow to all those rumors and speculations of the last month' . aaaah... lets just wait a few days and someone comes up with the ultra-slim macbook again...
  • Reply 53 of 162
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    I just ordered my MacBook Pro 2.4 on Monday
  • Reply 54 of 162
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Intel GMA X3100 w/ 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM

So, the X3100 has 144MB of dedicated memory? I thought it was shared, or has Intel taken Nvidia's and ATI's route of providing some dedicated memory, then taking what else is required from system RAM?

144MB, quite an odd amount...

I'll have to Google this!
  • Reply 55 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

there's a 2 week return policy if there was an upgrade. you can give it back and order the 2.6 if you want.
  • Reply 56 of 162
    Quote:

So why the grim face? Change your order.
  • Reply 57 of 162
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

is there that much difference between GMA950 and GMAx3100?

In simple terms yes! The problem is you need drivers and it depends on exactly what features make a difference to you. Intel hasn't been real quick on th windows side for drivers, I'm not sure how this impacts OS/X.

As a side note the GMA driver for Linux has actually been in better shape than the windows driver for some time feature wise. Of course Linux has a develop as you go model but it is worth noting the condition of the windows driver has not been good. The question then becomes who is developing the Mac driver.

In a nut shell this has the POTENTIAL to be a very good thing for the MacBook.

Dave
  • Reply 58 of 162
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

So why the grim face? Change your order.

It already shipped from China and should be here Monday but I think I will return it for the 2.6 if they can get me the new one before Friday the 9th.
  • Reply 59 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdcat View Post

Sounds like an opportunity for someone to open up a "gray market" store, transshipping orders to Canada.

I did business once with a Canadian in B.C. who simply drove over the border and mailed his orders to US customers from a US Post Office to save time and customs hassles

Or order from an American online store.

Or perhaps better yet, for those living in southern Ontario you could cross the border, buy a Macbook Pro, take in a Sabres/Red Wings or Bills/Lions game and have more than enough change to slug a few brew.

Worse case scenario, you would be lowering your drinking standards.
  • Reply 60 of 162
    Quote:

It already shipped from China and should be here Monday but I think I will return it for the 2.6 if they can get me the new one before Friday the 9th.

Don't open the box!