"Server Busy"

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Canadians screwed on price:

US Store: $1099

Canadian Store: $1249

I thought the refresh would have brought about price parity on the MacBook. Guess not.

At today's (noon) nominal exhange rate of 1.0527, it should be $1044. Heh.

(Of course, the nominal rate is always a few points higher than what is offered to the consumer. So, an even price would be fair.)

Since you're here, and to get off the subject for a bit, are you guys planning to do something about this constant "server busy" situation? Sometimes I can't get in for minutes, sometimes for much longer. What gives? I don't see this problem anywhere else.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Since you're here, and to get off the subject for a bit, are you guys planning to do something about this constant "server busy" situation? Sometimes I can't get in for minutes, sometimes for much longer. What gives? I don't see this problem anywhere else.

Strange. It could be an issue with the load-balancing but I haven't seen that occur at all.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Quote:

Strange. It could be an issue with the load-balancing but I haven't seen that occur at all.

I've seen it too...
  • Reply 3 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

That's odd. There have been times when the server wasn't accessable for half a day. It can't be just me. I haven't had the problem with any other site. I remember having discussions with other members about this over time.

I get it a lot when I click the e-mail link to the site, and when submitting a post reply.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Quote:

That's odd. There have been times when the server wasn't accessable for half a day. It can't be just me. I haven't had the problem with any other site. I remember having discussions with other members about this over time.

I get it a lot when I click the e-mail link to the site, and when submitting a post reply.

When was the last time it happened?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:

About 20 minutes ago.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

About 20 minutes ago.

Very odd.

I've been browsing around and posting for the past hour without a problem.

(I'm going to move these posts to the Feedback forum in a new thread, btw.)
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwaidan View Post

Australian Apple store is still showing the old MacBooks for sale even though the new ones are described in the main Apple Australia website. Guess if they keep quiet about the upgrade then it won't alert the suckers who will buy the outdated models clogging the retail channels...

I noticed yesterday that the Mac Mini still listed as being shipped with Leopard in the store, and on certain areas of its info page. Clearly it takes Apple a few days to catch up

Speaking of the Mini, it's a huge shame that they didn't quietly upgrade it, as I'm about three days out from replacing my knackered G4 Mini at the office with a new one.

Quote:

Happened about 15 minutes ago for me as well. I host a vBulletin site too and have never seen this error (although on average, we probably get about 20% of the visitors that AI gets, even if we do have some peak times that come close).
  • Reply 8 of 26
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    I've been getting that message too in the last few days.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    AI's been unreachable with "Server Busy" at least five separate times in the last day for me.

It seems to take at least minutes to come back up. Occasionally goes right out again.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Can you post the time/frequency when you experience this?
  • Reply 11 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Happening for me too. It has been more frequent lately but about twice a day. Sometimes in the middle of a post, which is pretty annoying.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    I made some server tweaks, so let me know if you still see these issues (10:44 am PT)
  • Reply 13 of 26
    I couldnt get on at all yesterday i tried at least a dozen times throughout the day.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Just got another one about half an hour ago. Didn't last very long though.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Still happening for me too - if anything it's worse... also could not get in for several hours yesterday.

Several hours? Can you be more specific about the times? I was on the site(s) all day without any problems. Is anyone else having these issues?
  • Reply 16 of 26
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    Happende last night 2:21AM CST. Email to admin bounced too it said "no mailbox"
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

It just now happened as I clicked on a post:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...9&goto=newpost

It took four tries, and 4 minutes to get in.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    from my last post in this thread until now i was getting the server busy message. I wasnt able to read/post anything.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Ok, we tracked down the issue to a unsecure mail form/script on Kasper's team that was trying to deliver 127K spam messages on each machine. While that was most of it, we are continuing to monitor things and make additional optimizations.

On the plus side, we also implemented some other new optimizations (gzip, memcached) that should help speed of everything.

Thanks for your responses and help.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Well, good!

I'm happy I caught you guys. I'm just surprised it wasn't noticed by someone from the site.