New iMacs plagued by interface freezing issues

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 138
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haveyoumetmark View Post

I was looking forward to a new 24" iMac sometime this week. This can't be serious.... I don't expect a flawless machine, but from what I've heard "It just works."....

I really want to switch, and I have no will power. I will probably end up impulse buying this machine and I really don't want to be upset.

I have a good feeling this is happening on a very small percentage of machines, and we all know it can be fixed via software update anyway. It seems to be related to Quicktime in some way, rest assured it will be patched. I'm worried too, as my 24" iMac is arriving this Monday, and I need it to be reliable. There's never any guarantees, but I've been fortunate to never have any problems with any iMacs I've owned, and this new one will be my third. Don't let this put you off, go for it.

Apple's iMacs rock! Their mice suck big time though.
  • Reply 122 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I have a good feeling this is happening on a very small percentage of machines, and we all know it can be fixed via software update anyway. It seems to be related to Quicktime in some way, rest assured it will be patched. I'm worried too, as my 24" iMac is arriving this Monday, and I need it to be reliable. There's never any guarantees, but I've been fortunate to never have any problems with any iMacs I've owned, and this new one will be my third. Don't let this put you off, go for it.

Apple's iMacs rock! Their mice suck big time though.

Ireland let me ask you a question good sir. What are the chances of going to the Apple Store and getting three iMacs with vastly different serial numbers and having them all frezing up on you? I do beleive this problem is more widespread than Apple or anyone else thinks it is. This is not the only forum where people are discussing this major issue. Type "New iMac Freeze" into google and see the disgusting truth. I have come to several conclusions on why iMac users are having these dreaded problems.

1- To many resources were diverted to production of the iPhone and iMac suffered.

2- ATI are a bunch of morons stuck in denial actually thinking they are incapable of manufacturing defective computer components.

3- Less expensive parts were used to construct the new iMac in order to reduce price and increasing customer demand resulting in lower quality.

Have you noticed the trend? The more Apple uses parts primarily used on PeeCee's then for Apple products there always seems to be a problem of some sort.
  • Reply 123 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

...and whilst you are at it burn down the house, neuter the cat and dump your car in the nearest swamp.

If nothing else it will keep you busy whilst Apple stays in denial.

There definitely was a strong citrus smell about these latest iMacs.

That is hillarious gastroboy.
  • Reply 124 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

By the looks of it its a Quicktime problem then, no doubt Apple's scrambling fix. Thank God it's a software issue, I need this machine to run smoothly for me when it comes next week.

I'm not sure about the validity of that claim Ireland. You see I can be on my desktop doing nothing, using my RSS Feed screensaver (Maybe it can't handle all the bad news on CNN these days?), or scrolling through the dock and it will freeze. It's getting worse everyday I use it. I wish I could tell you that your new machine will be flawless but I've gone through three of them. I mean do you want me to tell you the truth or lie to you? Then again I'm just going by my experiences and from about 800 other peoples experiences that I've read. Maybe you'll get lucky at least I hope you do.
  • Reply 125 of 138
    I don't own a new iMac, but I'm scaried it's actually a heat engineering problem. Apple designs great looking computers, but sometimes they press the limit too much (such as the cube plastic cracking issue).
  • Reply 126 of 138
    Apparently, Apple has released a fix for the freezing thing:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/11...date/index.php

I hope it works!
  • Reply 127 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jApple View Post

I don't own a new iMac, but I'm scaried it's actually a heat engineering problem. Apple designs great looking computers, but sometimes they press the limit too much (such as the cube plastic cracking issue).

There is an adage that there is no such thing as too thin.

Unfortunately I think Steve Job's obsession with making a measurable dimensional "improvement" is having an adverse effect on stability and reliability.

I have been 3 things in my life, architect, designer and computer support, and in all of those I have found that it is best to give everything room to "breathe".

The iMac's corsets are on too tight and I'd put money on them not getting enough ventilation flow around the graphics card, which is really getting a major work out with today's systems and applications.

Unfortunately smelling salts are not going to be enough to keep these babes up on their feet and pouting at the punters. I expect a lot of them will be lifting their heavily perspiration stained skirts on eBay and local car boot sales.
  • Reply 128 of 138
    siamsiam Posts: 8member
    Hi gastroboy , As a potential First time Apple iMac buyer, I just wondered about your commens..

( The iMac's corsets are on too tight and I'd put money on them not getting enough ventilation flow around the graphics card, which is really getting a major work out with today's systems and applications. )

just looking at the photos of a disassembled iMac , I wonder about the ventilation aspect too there seems to be several small colling fan units ...?

disassembled iMac photos at ....

http://www.kodawarisan.com/imac_2007...07_mid_02.html

siam
  • Reply 129 of 138
    Siam I have been a Mac user since the very first Mac so I would encourage you to buy one, just not this one. I've seen them all and by now I can pick the lemons.

I am personally waiting for the next model which may fix some of the problems in this one, or to get a good deal on the iMac models just before this one (the white ones) which were excellent computers, especially the 24" model.

Just now is a time of major transition because Leopard is out and still has teething issues, on top of the glare and videocard problems of the aluminium range.

It all really comes down to the right computer at the right time at the right price. My current iMac is the last of the G5 iMacs (just before Apple switched to intel chips). Common sense said not to buy a model that was about to be superceded but honestly it is the best damn computer ever and I got it at a knock down price.

And I have been loving it for the last 2 years. So if you can get one of the older models at the right price, jump at it. Otherwise wait for the next model.
  • Reply 130 of 138
    Thanks for your reply gastroboy ...

Its ironic for years now ive sat on the side lines and watch all the Mac's cruise by

thinking '' should I buy ..? '' and then for several reasons, one mainly being that

from what I can gather, here in Thailand the ''Apple'' customer service Experience is not what

you would think you would normally associate with Apple. The word customer service

here in Thailand has no evidence of having any meaning ( not only associated with Apple )

so the thought of having to take a Mac into an Official Apple service center was just too much

to contemplate.

So and here?s the ironic part , Leopard was released along with the new Aluminum iMac's

I thought well what a combination, and reading past comments like yours...

so I would encourage you to buy one, just not this one ....

Along with many, many other recommendations from happy long term Apple users, I thought

well now's the time to take the plunge into the wonderful clear calm waters of the Apple's

Happy world. So now ive made my mind up, been to the bank, and..Well what a let down

As I say ive never owned an Apple Mac, but even so I feel so disappointed.. My ??faith ''

in the shining Knight in White and Aluminum amour has been dented.

So where do I go from here ... try a new Gate way iMac look a like ( New Gateway Desktop Takes on Look of iMac, but Can't Match It )

at ...http://www.abcnews.go.com/Technology...3811482&page=1

This comment for some reason stood out , or should I say shouted out ...It also is noisier than the iMac, and lacks a built-in Web camera. Plus, twice during my few days of testing, it crashed with a blue screen, losing all open data.

So No Thanks Gateway .., I still now , as ive worked my self up into a Mac frenzy want to buy an iMac, but where to go / what to do now

like you say ( So if you can get one of the older models at the right price, jump at it. Otherwise wait for the next model.)

The world older seems to be going backwards ..?, and the next model may keep me in suspended animation

constantly scouring the new's media for signs of a new some thing popping up, so bottom line .... what?s the chances of Apple totally

sorting out all the problems with the current iMac and Leopard, and using your crystal ball can you offer me some glimmer of hope for a '' new'' iMac being rolled out problem free .

thanks ??. may be one day a Mac Man ( siam )
  • Reply 131 of 138
    Like I said the older white iMacs are an excellent buy. Apple has reduced their price so that they are cheaper than the newer models, but they were snapped up very quickly by those in the know especially graphic designers.

For one they didn't have the glass over the screen which has caused the glare and condensation problems (the last would definitely be a problem in Thailand). They reportedly don't have the video freezing problem and in fact have a superior video card to the newer model. Their CPUs are slightly slower and the memory was put in both RAM slots so an after purchase upgrade would cost more because one or both would need to be removed to increase the RAM.

Otherwise I think they are a vastly superior looking machine. The white carbonate, excellent non-glare screen, particularly on the 24", is stunning. Little touches like the glowing internal light behind the translucent front panel when it is asleep were master touches of Jonathan Ives' design skills.

If you are looking to non-iMac the Macbook is even more beautiful in its design. My wife (who is an IT manager and uses PCs) has just bought one and I am so jealous!!!!!

Definitely don't get a Gateway, slight similarities don't make a match to the Macs and the whole point of Macs is Apple's (usual) high quality and OSX. Tiger is very mature and very easy to use. Leopard once it gets to 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 (the upgrades are all free between major versions) will no doubt be an improvement. Meanwhile let others work out the bugs for you.

You will not regret the move, the iLife and iWork software suites are superb and very cheap, as are most of the many excellent 3rd party programs that use the surprising technologies built into Mac OSX. My Word Processor of choice, iText Express, for example is amazingly powerful and is free and there is no shortage of top quality and easy, good looking, polished software available for virtually every task.

If you need help at all on any question ask any of the friendly Mac people here or in the many forums. Like I said you will not regret it. Imagine an unbelievably stable, fast, pleasant and lovely to look at system without any of the virii and spyware and other nasties of Windows. Ease of installation use and mangement of software is a breeze. No registry problems, etc.

I could just go on, but I think you know what you see and want.

I can't predict Apple's every move, but I think the aluminium iMacs were a glitch and Apple will fix the problems and move on to the next greatest thing.
  • Reply 132 of 138
    btw Mac OSX's language support is superb, Thai is well covered, but and this is a big But, check out it's support for Thai dictionaries and the problem of word wrap in Thai. The fact you don't have wordspaces has always been a problem for western software.

Microsoft has usually given top support in its MsOffice suite to languages such as yours and being as big as it is has given even smaller languages their full attention. There is MsOffice for the Mac but check that it offers Thai users the same full support as the Windows version.

You do know that the Mac can use the same fonts as PCs? I think dictionaries however may be an issue.
  • Reply 133 of 138
    the new patch did not help my freezing problem. imac stopped responding on three separate programs, mail, safari on a particular website and camera. I even installed Leopard this evening and still had the problems. Going to trade it in this weekend and try other machine
  • Reply 134 of 138
    Is everyone still having this issue?
  • Reply 135 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Omikronz View Post

Is everyone still having this issue?

I stopped having freezes in WinXP Bootcamp when I manually updated the video card drivers using the work-around that I posted earlier on this thread months ago (#102).

Also, at one point I had two mice plugged into a usb hub so I could rotate/pivot the iMac around and sit on the other side of it and have a mouse there too, I unplugged the second mouse and just reach over for the one mouse now. I don't know if two mice could have caused a conflict that contributed to the lockups, but I'm just listing all changes that I have made between then and now since I don't have lockups now.. And of course the usual updates and patches since then have all been loaded.
  • Reply 136 of 138
    Yeah, problem is mine has started locking up for the 1st time since I got it in October. In OSX though, not Windows.
  • Reply 137 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Omikronz View Post

Yeah, problem is mine has started locking up for the 1st time since I got it in October. In OSX though, not Windows.

Run all Apple Updates and run Disk Utility found on the hard drive in Applications < Utilitites < DiskUtility < Select drive < First Aid < Repair.

Also clear out your browser cache, cookies, and history.

If you have the 3 year service plan, it came with a little box with a CD in it with more advanced tools to run to clean errors.
  • Reply 138 of 138
    I got it on 8-18 and if I can I will return it to B&H. It has frozen several times a day since I got it, always when using the mouse. This has happened in Mac Mail, Thunderbird, Safari and iphoto. It has happened with the Apple mouse and my Logitech mouse that I've used for years. I tried to do the extended test (Restart while holding D key to get to test menu) and it has frozen up there twice. In the applications I can get out of the frozen state by doing a Force Quit on that particular application. In the Test utility I have to turn off the computer to escape. I just switched from a PC for more stability so this is a huge disappointment. Is anyone else having this problem with a brand-new machine like this? Any advice? Thank you.