Will OSX ever be shipped for general PC's?

iroiro
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'd love to build my own system and install OSX instead of xp/vista.

its the hardware locking that ties me to windows and keeps me away from an apple desktop, though i love their laptops

it seems to me that this would be a massive step for apple and would make them more money than any other mac focused strategy.

The fact that it would work if they didnt lock the software down is just so damn frustrating. I would guess that part of their co-operative agreement with microsoft entails that apple will not challenge windows in the pc market. Its the only real reason for why this doesn't happen in my eyes - mac user snobbishness aside

what wouild it hurt to offer a universal pc version of the OSX?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    This is been discussed to death here. Try searching for some of the previous discussions here and we can probably avoid a "do-over".
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iro View Post

I'd love to build my own system and install OSX instead of xp/vista.

its the hardware locking that ties me to windows and keeps me away from an apple desktop, though i love their laptops

it seems to me that this would be a massive step for apple and would make them more money than any other mac focused strategy.

The fact that it would work if they didnt lock the software down is just so damn frustrating. I would guess that part of their co-operative agreement with microsoft entails that apple will not challenge windows in the pc market. Its the only real reason for why this doesn't happen in my eyes - mac user snobbishness aside

what wouild it hurt to offer a universal pc version of the OSX?

Software sales drives Apple hardware sales. End of story. OS X and the Hardware make both appealing for consumers to try Apple.

Apple's bottom-line from past experience has been to see it get cannibalized by OEMs.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Software sales drives Apple hardware sales. End of story. OS X and the Hardware make both appealing for consumers to try Apple.

Apple's bottom-line from past experience has been to see it get cannibalized by OEMs.

Perhaps we should put mdriftmeyer's perfect answer in an auto-reply bot that read thread titles and automatically answers to the ones that contain the words 'OS X' 'for' 'PC'.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    better yet a sticky.

Bottomline If you have a PC go get your Vista.

Apple is offering a different solution, they offer a solution that gives people a completely supported product HW/OS that are validated to work together and no fingerprinting if you ever need support.

It is not as simple as Apple releasing OS X to the masses, If they did they would have to support every single iteration possible out there and there is a shitload of possible configurations. Then Apple will spend so much time trying maintaining that mess and they would not have the time to add the features they do today. Why do you think Vista took 6 years to get closer to what OS X offers? And look at all the issues related to drivers,bluescreens,bugs,etc.

Apple is doing the right thing maintaining control of the Hardware platform and operating system and the end results is a superior end user experience and this is why people are now looking at Macintosh computers.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Another point. Analysts believe OS X Leopard will make Apple $92 million this quarter. Hardware made Apple $5 BILLION. Putting OS X to the white boxes wouldn't get Apple to anywhere near that hardware number.