vista on leopard.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I want to put some form of windows on my macbook pro so i can game but i dont know whether i should get xp or vista. I wouldnt dare use windows for anything else but that because i hate it, but xp costs just as much as vista. Is vista fine on leopard or on macs at all? im assuming so but i figured id ask to see if anyone has any feedback.

Thanks,

Cato

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post

I want to put some form of windows on my macbook pro so i can game but i dont know whether i should get xp or vista. I wouldnt dare use windows for anything else but that because i hate it, but xp costs just as much as vista. Is vista fine on leopard or on macs at all? im assuming so but i figured id ask to see if anyone has any feedback.

Thanks,

Cato

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html
  • Reply 2 of 7
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post

I want to put some form of windows on my macbook pro so i can game but i dont know whether i should get xp or vista. I wouldnt dare use windows for anything else but that because i hate it, but xp costs just as much as vista.

Are you sure? Perhaps on ebay you would have more luck. But personally I would go with XP because it is much more mature and tried and certainly less heavy than Vista. This is important while playing games. Moreover, it will be supported for a long time by developers.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    I am new to Mac and therefore have a question about Windows on Mac, too. If I install Windows on a Mac, do I also need to install antivirus software? What if the Windows got virused? Will it affect Tiger/Leopard too? Thanks a lot for any advice
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    thanks PB... it would be great if you could explain some more. Everywhere i look (Ebay, Amazon) XP seems to be around 200 bucks
  • Reply 5 of 7
    lennylenny Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

I am new to Mac and therefore have a question about Windows on Mac, too. If I install Windows on a Mac, do I also need to install antivirus software? What if the Windows got virused? Will it affect Tiger/Leopard too? Thanks a lot for any advice

If you install Windows on a Mac, your Mac will become a PC and therefore will be vulnerable to all the viruses out there (when you run Windows of course). Your Mac partion WILL NOT be affected!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post

If you install Windows on a Mac, your Mac will become a PC and therefore will be vulnerable to all the viruses out there (when you run Windows of course). Your Mac partion WILL NOT be affected!

It's also the same when I run Windows via VMware? Crap Windows T_T

Thanks for the help : )
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Okay, to clear things up a bit...

To those who aren't quite aware of why Macs aren't affected by viri.

Since the new Intel Mac's are now running on the same hardware as Windows, there is nothing seperating them from generic PC's aside from the software. So in that respect Intel Macs might (in theory) be more vernerable to viruses than their Power PC counterparts. Here's why...

The architecture of the hardware in those old PPC machines, mainly the CPU, was vastly different than anything Windows was running on at the time. And hackers didn't want to go way out of their way to significantly alter their code to run on Macs running PPC's because it was a lot of work that only affected a "few" users.

Now with the new Intel Macs, which run on the same CPU, not quite as much altering is needed to be done. They'd only need to change the parts that would affect the software. From affecting a hook looking for a .exe, to a .app, for example.

Now, Macs can still "get" viruses in terms that if you clicked on a malicious or untrustworthy link. If OS X didn't have all the security messures that is does, the virus code embeded in the website could still download to your Mac, it just wouldn't affect anything because the virus is looking for software that isn't there. It could however still spread to any Windows machine linked to that Mac.

But as long as you have OS X's firewall up which closes any ports you don't use, and be careful about where you go on the internet, you're fine.

Windows however, isn't. Viruses that spread by other means, the ones that seek out and hunt your PC without any action from you, will still hurt you if you're running Windows on Mac hardware. USE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE!

Mac's may get viruses in the future as they become more popular, but at the moment Apple's on top of things. They're even ramping up security BEFORE the first big attack, rather than letting it hit and fixing it then. I don't mean to scare anyone. OS X has lots and lots of security messures to keep you and your Mac safe. No need to worry about viruses or anything of the sort.

Sorry for the length of the post. Just wanted to be thorough.