Leopard: problem with home network

xmsxms
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, I've made a clean install of leopard but since putting back together my home network I'm experiencing seriously slow speeds, that make it impossible to stream music or video from the xp machine (it starts, stops and the lockup).

The network runs wired with cat6 cables and gigabit router.

Needless to say, under Tiger speed was always excellent.

I tried disabling the firewall on both ends, resetting nics but no luck.

Anybody with a wired network experiencing any of this? thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Does a reboot help?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    xmsxms Posts: 12member
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that...I've rebooted several times the pc, mac, router and cable modem.

Internet connection, through ethernet, works without problems on both computers.

• Reply 3 of 20
    Although I'm a total novice with networking, is there such thing as a CAT6 cable? I've only ever heard of a CAT5; so I was wondering, if there is such a thing, whether Leopard supports it or not....?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mambo06 View Post

...is there such thing as a CAT6 cable?

yes there is - but it's backward compatible to cat 5

the problem sounds like a messed up router.

i would check if the settings on the router are ok (like the "full-duplex-thing").
  • Reply 5 of 20
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peve View Post

the problem sounds like a messed up router.

i would check if the settings on the router are ok (like the "full-duplex-thing").

I would say that sadly, it does not "sound like a messed up router". Given that the only thing changed was Tiger --> Leopard, it sounds like a messed-up Leopard.

To the O/P: what, if any, third party applications do you have installed in OS X?

How many machines do you have on the network and what OSes are they running?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    After the clean install of leopard I just installed, iwork 08, ilife08, camino browser and the divx codec.

On the lan I have one xp pro sp2, one xp home sp2 and one leopard.

I thought it could be a problem with leopard but around the boards I just keep reading about wireless problems. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if something comes up with leopards updates.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xms View Post

I thought it could be a problem with leopard but around the boards I just keep reading about wireless problems.

I thought you said you were using a wired connection?

Can you verify the speed of the network by copying files from one of the PCs to the other?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Given that the only thing changed was Tiger --> Leopard, it sounds like a messed-up Leopard.

allmost every time apple releases a new os (or even an update), they make small (undocumented) changes that can effect stuff like this.

just my 2 cents
  • Reply 9 of 20
    how is network speed between the two xp boxes?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    same problem here.

macbook pro with aiport extreme (802.11n) router trying to stream from mac mini, both leopard upgraded.

slow as hell.

macbookpro via wireless and mini is wired

btw, do you know how do you connect to you shares (smb?)
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I thought you said you were using a wired connection?

Can you verify the speed of the network by copying files from one of the PCs to the other?

Yes I am on a wired lan, but browsing for similare network problems I could only come up with wireless related issues.

Copying files between xp boxes is fast with no lockups.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    my leopard computer doesn't show up on my parents vista computer, i also don't see their computer on mine. When i was at school though i saw windows computers and macs. Must be something funky between leopard and vista.

I could connect by using ftp though, but i can't connect via ethernet cable or just plain finding an icon and connecting wirelessly, just ftp wirelessly. gay.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    I have a macbook pro which i recently upgraded to leopard and which is normally connected via an Airport extreme. Even with the latest updates installed i would say that networking performance is by far worse than it was with tiger.

that being said, i got a new imac yesterday which shipped with tiger and leopard on an update dvd. i first booted it up and played a bit around with tiger and got good wifi and wired gigabit speeds. i then upgraded to leopard and i got the same problems: wifi speed is decreased and even worse, gigabit ethernet is really, and i mean really really slow! and no, its not the rest of my gear, as it works fine and worked fine before the update. so anyone having a solution for that? i am getting an average of 3mb over wired gigabit... and i should see an average of 30mb to my nas and other computers....
  • Reply 14 of 20
    I have also experienced a slowness with the addition of Leopard. I am still trying to figure out why.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Have any of you experimented with turning IP v 6 on/off?
  • Reply 16 of 20
    i tried a couple of things:

ipV6 off, flow control off (gigabit eth0), jumbo packets etc. all without any luck.

I came across a problem reported with regard to tiger, some ack packets not being handled by some nics and therefore causing problems. it seems that those smb.conf settings used for tiger are no longer correct on leopard? i tried that and i can confirm that nothing has changed - unfortunately.

just for the record: other xp boxes get stellar speed of the wired and wireless network - no problems there and as i said, it was working fine with tiger before - the network configuration hasn't changed.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al7409 View Post

i tried a couple of things:

ipV6 off, flow control off (gigabit eth0), jumbo packets etc. all without any luck.

I came across a problem reported with regard to tiger, some ack packets not being handled by some nics and therefore causing problems. it seems that those smb.conf settings used for tiger are no longer correct on leopard? i tried that and i can confirm that nothing has changed - unfortunately.

just for the record: other xp boxes get stellar speed of the wired and wireless network - no problems there and as i said, it was working fine with tiger before - the network configuration hasn't changed.

I read reports of various Windows networking settings not sticking properly in OS X's default "automatic" network location. If you create a new location, and make sure stuff like the Workgroup is set correctly, does this make any difference?

Do you live near an Apple Store so you can go and speak to a genius?

Also, you could try the macosxhints forums to see if anyone over there has any bright ideas.

Please keep us posted with any progress you do/don't make.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Yes it is correct that OSX does not stick to settings you make on the default location. The new location however didn't do much better for me.

I would say it is a mix of a crappy cifs/smb AND network driver implemention. Here is why:

if i connect to my NAS (keep in mind that this worked with tiger flawlessly) via SMB or cifs i get very poor performance - something around 3-4mb average, maybe, on wired gigabit. If i connect to the same nas via the same physical connection through AFP, i get an average of 12-15 mb/s...3-4 times faster! i did that a few weeks ago when still on tiger and i noticed an increase in speed as well... from 30 mb/s average to 32mb/s... no big deal.

So that tells me that

a) afp works better or is better implemented - dramatically better on leopard than smb

b) if i compare the same hardware performance on tiger and leopard under similar circumstances, then tiger is about 10 times faster on a gigabit ethernet than leopard is right now (on smb that is).

so there is something going on... and i can only hope that Apple gets their stuff together soon.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    I too have had a similar experience with Leopard. My home network worked almost perfectly with Tiger, and is wired into the router. It has disappeared since installing Leopard. After a couple of weeks of this, I made some administrative changes on an XP computer and got that computer working with Leopard for half a day, but it mysteriously disappeared and I have not been able to get it working again. I have had nothing but problems with Leopard since installing it, and also found that it doesn't work with Line6 online subscription service. In my opinion, it is a mess and an unpleasant experience. I had very little problems with Tiger.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    I had this same problem. I fixed mine by rolling back the Network Adapter driver on my XP machine. Transfer speed improved greatly.