Questions about Macbook Pro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi everyone, im relatively new to apple products other than a recent purchase of the iphone which I love! I currently a college student thats dealing with a Dell Inspiron 1520 with Windows Vista on it. I am not too happy with it and am in the market for an apple laptop. I really am looking into the macbook pro after I sell my brother my Dell, then I'm moving over to Apple! The biggest things I used with my Dell was some minor gaming, documents, and just normal internet usage.

I know that the Macbook and Macbook pro have some very distinct differences and I understand that, but from what I will do with the laptop, will I benefit more from the Macbook Pro? Also, I hear speculation that a new updated macbook pro is possible in the future, do you think it will be a good choice making a purchase on a macbook or macbook pro within the next 2-3 weeks? I do have one other quick question, does anyone know if there is a big difference between the 128MB and 256MB 8600gt card? I am really excited to get away from vista and just get involved with apple and then just run xp pro in boot camp. If you could help me out please feel free to give me some advice and I will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iceman33 View Post

Hi everyone, im relatively new to apple products other than a recent purchase of the iphone which I love! I currently a college student thats dealing with a Dell Inspiron 1520 with Windows Vista on it. I am not too happy with it and am in the market for an apple laptop. I really am looking into the macbook pro after I sell my brother my Dell, then I'm moving over to Apple! The biggest things I used with my Dell was some minor gaming, documents, and just normal internet usage.

I know that the Macbook and Macbook pro have some very distinct differences and I understand that, but from what I will do with the laptop, will I benefit more from the Macbook Pro? Also, I hear speculation that a new updated macbook pro is possible in the future, do you think it will be a good choice making a purchase on a macbook or macbook pro within the next 2-3 weeks? I do have one other quick question, does anyone know if there is a big difference between the 128MB and 256MB 8600gt card? I am really excited to get away from vista and just get involved with apple and then just run xp pro in boot camp. If you could help me out please feel free to give me some advice and I will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jeff

do you plan on just running xp?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    No actually, moreso the Leopard os, but I just want xp professional on there just for like office, but once I get used to the apple operating systems, then I would like just to use Apple. This is only because I never used an apple computer before. Thanks for the help!

Jeff
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

No actually, moreso the Leopard os, but I just want xp professional on there just for like office, but once I get used to the apple operating systems, then I would like just to use Apple. This is only because I never used an apple computer before. Thanks for the help!

Jeff

aww, if you were to say just run xp, i was going to say you don't deserve a mac. If you want a macbook pro get it. It's one of the best laptops and fastest laptops you will ever use. There is no point in xp though unless you play games because they have office on mac.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    The second standard model (15" Dual-Core 2.4GHz, 2GB Ram, 8600M GT 256MB) is amazing. If you're into 1st person shooters the 256MB is worth it over the 128MB. Also make sure you have no less than 2GB of ram. That's my recommendation.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Thanks for the info guys, I know if was gunna use a windows os on a mac system I might as well not even buy a mac at all. But I know for sure I am really starting to get into Apple because I am sick of vista and I would just keep xp on there until I know for sure I'm comfortable with the Mac OS. But I think the biggest thing I am wondering if the extra money for the 256MB or 128MB will suffice for me. But other than that I am ready to go with getting a Macbook pro, but it will either be soon within the next 2 weeks or wait until January when they release a new update of the macbook pro. Well I appreciate the help and I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Jeff
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Thanks for the info guys, I know if was gunna use a windows os on a mac system I might as well not even buy a mac at all. But I know for sure I am really starting to get into Apple because I am sick of vista and I would just keep xp on there until I know for sure I'm comfortable with the Mac OS. But I think the biggest thing I am wondering if the extra money for the 256MB or 128MB will suffice for me. But other than that I am ready to go with getting a Macbook pro, but it will either be soon within the next 2 weeks or wait until January when they release a new update of the macbook pro. Well I appreciate the help and I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Jeff

i have the 128mb one and the graphics are very nice on it while playing cs:source and wc3.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Thanks for the info guys, I know if was gunna use a windows os on a mac system I might as well not even buy a mac at all.

Jeff

Not true. A *big* advantage is being able to run both osx or windows(or even linux) if you need or desire to. I don't find that I need windows, as I can find a Mac app for everything I need. The Mac apps are usually better than the windows equivalent IMO.

But knowing that if MS drops office for the Mac, I could just run it under windows on my Mac is very reassuring. I find that the Mac platform is now more powerful and flexible than windows machines.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I second the notion of 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, 8600mgt 256mb MacBookPro . You get to cover all your bases.

I would say don't wait, because you've suffered long enough with Dell and Vista. Honestly.

You can enjoy some Mac games, otherwise Bootcamp WinXP2Pro (don't use Vista!!!) for PC gaming enjoyment.

For Office, etc. use Parallels WinXP2Pro in Leopard.

Leopard is very nice.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

But other than that I am ready to go with getting a Macbook pro, but it will either be soon within the next 2 weeks or wait until January when they release a new update of the macbook pro. Well I appreciate the help and I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Jeff

I was curious about this as well, i have a Macbook pro 2.2 in the mail right now, havn't recieved it yet but I am psyched To be a mac user instead of pc, but should I have waited a month or two for an updated version?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    It seems like the most recent MacBookPro "update" is that it is now offered with 2.6ghz custom order.

My two cents is no MacBookPro update until Penryn (45nm) around late Winter/Spring
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I appreciate the posts guys, but I hear you on I suffered long enough. I can't wait to sell my brother my Dell and go straight down to my nearest Apple store which is like an hour away and making a purchase on this, but I am really debating this 2.2GHz with 128MB for the vid card and then upgrading to the 2.4GHz with 256MB graphics card. I really don't believe I will use this as a gaming machine because I have my 360 for that. But I just don't really wish to pay an extra money for the upgrade. If you could just upgrade a graphics card and keep that processor, but I am just a college student now just getting into Apple and I will definitely be a faithful after that. So this is just something that will get my foot in the door, but also something that will not be sluggish because my major in college is IST so I deal with computers everyday! But the only other questions I have is what other things should I add to this Macbook Pro that will be useful to me. I am not getting into any movie editing yet and not too much web design yet as well. The final question is since I am going to an Apple store is there anything I should ask about or do you guys think the service plan for the the laptop will be a good idea to get? I really appreciate all the help!

Thanks!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Service plan: honestly yes, 3 years free phone support, tech support, hardware, software support. If you are new to Mac.

Next: sounds like 2.2ghz 2gb 128vram will be enough for you. Since you are not seriously into gaming on the machine.