Apple releases iMac freezing fix, MacBook Pro software update

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple really did it. It's a miracle. Nuff said. If it works I'll retract all griping about Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post

Apple really did it. It's a miracle. Nuff said. If it works I'll retract all griping about Apple.

Where did you see that? Software? What does the upgrade do?
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Alleviates all freezing issues for new aluminum iMacs. Works like a charm for me.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:

Alleviates all freezing issues for new aluminum iMacs. Works like a charm for me.

Thanks for telling us! It's such a great news for me because my iMac is coming in couple of days and was worrying what to do with freezes
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Quote:

Does it also magically remove the condensation in the right corner of the screen?
  • Reply 5 of 43
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple late Thursday released a software update for owners of its new aluminum iMac line who have been experiencing intermittent freezing issues, though the patch has produced mixed results. Meanwhile, the company also released a software update for its newest MacBook Pro notebooks.

iMac Software Update 1.2 and 1.3

As was first report by AppleInsider last month and than subsequently acknowledged as a known issue by Apple, owners of new aluminum iMacs have been suffering from a flaw that randomly locks up the interface, rendering the all-in-one systems all but inert until a reboot.

On Thursday, Apple released two small software updates that were intended to remedy the issue -- iMac Software Update 1.2 [13.3MB] for users running Tiger and iMac Software Update 1.3 [21.6MB] for those running Leopard.

While some members of the AppleInsider forums are reporting that updates alleviate the freezing issues, others say it has had no effect on their iMacs, which continue to experience random freezes.

MacBook Pro Software Update 1.2

Meanwhile, Apple also released MacBook Pro Software Update 1.2 [14.4MB], which improves graphics stability and is recommended for all 2.2/2.4GHz MacBook Pro models running Tiger.

Login & Keychain Update 1.0

Earlier this week, the company released Login & Keychain Update 1.0 [22MB] for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, which it recommendeds for all Leopard installations.

The update addresses issues users may encounter when:

Logging in with an account originally created in Mac OS X 10.1 or earlier that has a password of 8 or more characters.Connecting to some 802.11b/g wireless networks.Changing the password of a FileVault-protected account.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Hey, does anyone know a good website out there which tracks known issues with Apple products? I've seen one-off's which track particular issues (i.e. RSS http://www.macbookrandomshutdown.com/) but nothing which tracks and categorizes issues by product. I'll be getting an iMac soon but I want to know what issues people are having before I purchase...
  • Reply 7 of 43
    That's all fine and dandy, but what about those of us with a Late 2006 White iMac (20" 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB ram, Radeon 256MB x1900, 500gb HDD).

Seriously, it locks up almost daily, and it's gotten to the point where 1 in ever 5 lockups corrupts the drive. I've called tech support, they're at a loss as to the cause, and I can't really afford to give her up for 2-3 weeks (graphic art on a notebook = suck).
  • Reply 8 of 43
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Hopefully the macbook fix means no more low frame rates in world of warcraft...
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Sometimes when I put my iMac to sleep, the screen will go black like it normally should do but when I come back a few hours later, the screen is lit with just a plain dark gray screen. I have to push the power button and then it goes black like if it's asleep. Has anyone experienced this?
  • Reply 10 of 43
    This patch fixed nothing. If anything, it made the problem even worse.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themachines04 View Post

Sometimes when I put my iMac to sleep, the screen will go black like it normally should do but when I come back a few hours later, the screen is lit with just a plain dark gray screen. I have to push the power button and then it goes black like if it's asleep. Has anyone experienced this?

I am having the same problems, and spent 5 hours on the phone with Apple yesterday.They do not even acknowledge there is a problem, did not mention a fix. I installed the fix this morning and still have the same problem. I am truly disappointed. No problems on my new MacBook though.

• Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

That's all fine and dandy, but what about those of us with a Late 2006 White iMac (20" 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB ram, Radeon 256MB x1900, 500gb HDD).

Seriously, it locks up almost daily, and it's gotten to the point where 1 in ever 5 lockups corrupts the drive. I've called tech support, they're at a loss as to the cause, and I can't really afford to give her up for 2-3 weeks (graphic art on a notebook = suck).

I support Macs for a county, and Apple's turn-around on portable repairs is seldom more than a week. The iMac uses many portable parts. Call in your case, see if they'll ship you a box to return your Mac, or recommend you take it to a local Apple store. They'll return it overnight (if you ship it to them) when it's fixed. Don't forget to backup before you turn it over for repair.

Lock-ups are usually a hardware issue, most commonly third party installed memory whose timing is slightly out of sync with the Mac's logic board. If you've done that, put your old memory back in to test it. If your old memory works, return your memory upgrade to your source for a replacement.

Crucial and OWC guarantee their memory, so it shouldn't cost you more than the temporary addition to your credit card while they ship you the replacement, and confirm your return to credit your card back.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    I have the same freezing problem on my Macbook Pro. Although as of late it is not as much a problem and so far I have not seen it on Tiger. Maybe it was fixed?
  • Reply 14 of 43
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lore1701 View Post

This patch fixed nothing. If anything, it made the problem even worse.

Lore! Please explain what happened? did you apply the patch and it didn't resolve your freezing issue? If you want help you"ll have to explain what's happening and we might help you solve it..

Welcome to AI.

• Reply 15 of 43
    I have the 24" alu Core2 Extreme 2.8ghz. I Have never experienced the lockup problem in OSX but once in Bootcamp windows. I use OSX 99% of the time, should I install this new patch?
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soonlar View Post

I have the 24" alu Core2 Extreme 2.8ghz. I Have never experienced the lockup problem in OSX but once in Bootcamp windows. I use OSX 99% of the time, should I install this new patch?

Please do, and let us know how it works, especially if you notice any differences. Since you have a stable iMac, it would be good to know that the update, which is recommended by Apple, is OK for iMacs not having the video card hardware issue. New drivers to better take advantage of the ATI card's features would be very welcome.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soonlar View Post

I have the same machine (Core2 Extreme 2.8ghz with 4Gig of Ram) and hadn't ever had a freeze UNTIL I downloaded the patch. When I came back to check on my iMac, the computer had become FROZEN and the screen image COMPLETELY GARBLED. I haven't had time to use the machine much since rebooting but I am ... concerned.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post

I support Macs for a county, and Apple's turn-around on portable repairs is seldom more than a week. The iMac uses many portable parts. Call in your case, see if they'll ship you a box to return your Mac, or recommend you take it to a local Apple store. They'll return it overnight (if you ship it to them) when it's fixed. Don't forget to backup before you turn it over for repair.

Lock-ups are usually a hardware issue, most commonly third party installed memory whose timing is slightly out of sync with the Mac's logic board. If you've done that, put your old memory back in to test it. If your old memory works, return your memory upgrade to your source for a replacement.

Crucial and OWC guarantee their memory, so it shouldn't cost you more than the temporary addition to your credit card while they ship you the replacement, and confirm your return to credit your card back.

It shouldn't be the memory, it's not 3rd Party, I got the 3GB directly from Apple when I ordered her. I would have responded earlier, but I had to reinstall OSX again (the lock up earlier today corrupted my drive beyond what AHT could fix.)
  • Reply 19 of 43
    they problem is far from fixed, it's crashed 4 times since thursday, better than before but not much.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    buccibucci Posts: 100member
    I've been having a lot of crashes recently as well. I thought it may be heat related so I got a temperature widget. Turns out my video card was getting up to 67C (152.6F) and the CPU was 55C (131F)! Since then I've downloaded a program called smcFanControl and bumped up the CPU fan from a default of 1000rpms to 2700rpms. It's a little louder, but I haven't had any crashes since. Temperatures now average at 38C for CPU and 46C video.

It looks like there is some sort of disconnect from the heat sensors to the fan controls. That's my guess at least.

http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eidac/