What are you least happy about with Apple?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I see a lot of issues with many of the computers in the Mac line. I just want to know what problems people are most concerned with.

Also, I understand that most of this is just opinionated or anecdotal, but I do support Apple and I enjoy their line of computers. They produce fine products, but there are definitely places they can improve upon. Please comment and leave an idea of where they could possibly go next.

This is all about constructive criticism.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Don't get me started...

The decline in quality has been there, but is quickening now they they are getting richer. They care about money only, it would seem.

Apple Japan: delete it and start over. They are complete crap.

Lying: call center said they were unaware of an issue a Genius said many customers had complained about for weeks, and he had received people referred by the call center.

I am so fed up with Apple at the moment I decided not to upgrade my home machine until next year (normally I would update this month) and went to look at PCs for the first time ever. My wife started teaching me how to use Windows last night.

Just noticed this is to be constructive: care more about your end customer. The product ideas are very good, not excellent, but very good. It is sad that the low quality of the assembly hurts the value of the original idea.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Don't get me started...

The decline in quality has been there, but is quickening now they they are getting richer. They care about money only, it would seem.

Apple Japan: delete it and start over. They are complete crap.

Hi Bergermeister, I really empathise with your situation. As I said before, Apple should put you in charge of Apple Japan.

Have you considered getting a PC and buying Leopard separately to install on it?
  • Reply 3 of 27
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    I dislike the lack of options. No carrier options with the iphone, no non-glossy options for the iMac or Macbook, though the iMac is a slight exception. No mid-range headless machine, no choice of really good GPUs in the Mac Pro, no theme choices for OS X.

The decline in quality IMO has to have something to do with the decline in price. Macs today are pretty cheap considering what they used to be so I don't have much of an issue with that. It's hard to ensure quality no matter how much resources you pile into the task so I figure that as long as the prices remain low, a defect here and there is ok as long it isn't widespread. I doubt Apple's defects are worse than say Dell's and the prices aren't far off comparing the same hardware spec.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Hi Bergermeister, I really empathise with your situation. As I said before, Apple should put you in charge of Apple Japan.

Have you considered getting a PC and buying Leopard separately to install on it?

I have enough invested in Mac to require me to continue using it for a couple of years, can't afford to change just yet. I am just sick and tired of getting the run around from Apple and the nano and the Apple Store experience this past month were the last straw. At the moment, I don't know if I will stay with Apple at all over the long run; they simply do not seem to care about their customers at all.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I dislike the lack of options. No carrier options with the iphone...

I think this is one of their biggest problems. I don't think they should have just sided with AT&T. I think they should have just worked out deals for every company and instead of Apple selling around 600,000 phones opening week they would have sold more like 6 million phones.

Quote:

The decline in quality IMO has to have something to do with the decline in price. Macs today are pretty cheap considering what they used to be so I don't have much of an issue with that. It's hard to ensure quality no matter how much resources you pile into the task so I figure that as long as the prices remain low, a defect here and there is ok as long it isn't widespread. I doubt Apple's defects are worse than say Dell's and the prices aren't far off comparing the same hardware spec.

That is very true and I don't think a company should ever sacrifice quality. I would rather have bought a computer that was overpriced but works every time than a cheap computer that will constantly break down month after month (by the way, don't buy a Dell laptop).
  • Reply 6 of 27
    I am highly alergic to apples
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Where's the "N/A" option?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    The thing I've noticed with Macs is every model seems to have a weak GPU for their segment. Ever since I started buying Apples in 2001 the weak GPU issue has been there in every model except maybe the first 15" AlBook that had the Radeon 9600 GPU. Every other model seems to skimp (sometimes severely) on this increasingly important piece of silicon.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    I just want my qfx5600. (offer two of them just for good measure. Everyone needs 3gb video card memory in their computer, even if it will set you back 6k or so.)

If one isnt in the next mac pro, i may just flip out.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    by far the worst poll that has ever surfaced on AI. the choice limitations are embarrassing.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

by far the worst poll that has ever surfaced on AI. the choice limitations are embarrassing.

THere have been some that were far worse. Can't be bothered to go find them.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

In the end I win because you wasted your time posting!
  • Reply 13 of 27
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

The thing I've noticed with Macs is every model seems to have a weak GPU for their segment.

Seconded.

A $40 GF7300GT as the stock card in a $2500 desktop? They should be ashamed to let it out the door. Not everyone is a gamer, true, but the BTO options aren't much better, and way over priced. Don't even get me started on their laptop GPUs.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    As posted elsewhere--differential pricing outside US is very inflated, especially when considering currency exchange rates. No explanations available from apple.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flyingsolo View Post

As posted elsewhere--differential pricing outside US is very inflated, especially when considering currency exchange rates. No explanations available from apple.

Quote:

they simply do not seem to care about their customers at all.

Quote:

I dislike the lack of options.

I am allergic to Apples.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    I just bought a macbook, should I be scared?
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Make sure you get Apple Care for it.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    the mighty mouse. great at first. then a let down a few months later when it stops scrolling down.

• Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iamjustin View Post

the mighty mouse. great at first. then a let down a few months later when it stops scrolling down.

3 was my limit; 2 of them were bought at the same time, one a little later.

It is incredible how many of these have failed and they have done nothing about it. Shame on Apple, again.

Have had a Microsoft Mouse for over three years and it is still working great, and it was much cheaper than the dratted MightyMouse.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:

3Have had a Microsoft Mouse for over three years and it is still working great, and it was much cheaper than the dratted MightyMouse.

Same here, I now buy nothing but Microsoft mice. They are also designed better both aesthetically and practically.

There was a thread about Apple buyouts before, maybe Apple should buy out Logitech. That way we get games controllers, webcams, mice, keyboards, headsets, universal remotes and so on.

Imagine this bundled with a Mac:

instead of: