What does Apple have lined up for the Macworld Expo in January?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone have any thoughts/ideas? I'm hoping for a different video card option in the iMac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    The iMac was recently updated, so I don't expect it to be updated again before Montevina ships next summer. Updates seem to be immanent over the next four months for products including: MacBook Pro, Xserve, Mac Pro, and the new Mac Nano to replace the Mac Mini.
  • Reply 2 of 78
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Hmmm let's see.

1. Perhaps a sub notebook using an 11 inch screen and a LV Intel proc.

2. Apple TV II and iTunes 8 now with HD Download/Rentals

3. iPhone II with 16GB options and 3GB support. GPS coming.

4. Mac mini (Santa Rosa)

5. Mac Pro (Penryn procs new GPU options)

6.New Cinema Displays

Xserve, Xserve RAID will be updated along with XSAN in the spring time before NAB.
  • Reply 3 of 78
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    • Mac Pro will be the showcase IMO, hopefully some blistering graphics will be available to make the machine look respectable again.

• Cinema Displays

• iPhone 2 seems on track. Hopefully 3G - 16 GB - could be a one more thing.

- I don't think they will announce a Semi-Pro Mac with the Mac Pro. I think they would separate the announcements if they have decided to accommodate the growing user base. It could be a one more thing announcement.

• Mac mini - should be updated maybe with far better integrated graphics, and a faster processor.

- Apple TV - needs a serious strategy shift. If Apple intends this product to stay alive it will need a new strategy. It may fall off the map. Right now it's headed towards discontinuation IMO.
  • Reply 4 of 78
    the only concern in Macworld Expo in January for me is the new ACD. I hope Apple can offer 24" module without change the LCD panel.
  • Reply 5 of 78
    what hmurchison said!
  • Reply 6 of 78
    I see this happening (but what do I know?)

1. iTunes 8: HD 480p video downloads, added interfacing for iPhone GPS functionality.

2. Santa-Rosa-based Mac Mini, w/ equivalent hardware specs to the macbook.

3. 100/160GB Apple TV: Use as a wireless HD for Time Machine backups.

4. New Aluminum & Glass ACDs.

5. Enhancements to iPhone: GPS functionality & increased memory, new apps, video-capable camera (?)

6. Enhancement to iPod Touch & iPhone: iTunes Visualizer?

7. Proccessor & GPU enhancements to Mac Pros.

my two cents,

-J
  • Reply 7 of 78
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    My predictions:

? iPhone 2.0 gps, 16gig and hopefully 3G.

? Mac Mini or Mac Nano

? Ultra-portable

? AppleTV 2.0 larger HD, support to 720p(at least) and 5.1 audio, iTunes movie downloads with 720p and movie rentals. DVR would be nice, but I doubt.

MacPro and displays I still think is going to happen this year keeping the same design. A new design for the same might come next year around WWDC.

We'll see.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    I don't think 3G iPhones are coming at MWSF. I think this is especially true given AT&T's recent investment in the 850 MHz spectrum. Apple is probably going to hold out on 3G until AT&T establishes data service in this spectrum.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Mac

1. MacBooks in Grey & Black @ $1099 && $1299

2. 15" MacBook Grey & Black $1499

3. Mac Mini Updates

4. MacPro will be updated coming weeks.

5. $2299 iMac becomes $2099

iPod

1. Storage upgarde in iPod touch, iPod Nano - worst case april time frame

iPhone

1. 3G iPhone with more storage

OS X

nothing fantastic, i guess 2008 more of a Upgrade year!
  • Reply 10 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

I don't think 3G iPhones are coming at MWSF. I think this is especially true given AT&T's recent investment in the 850 MHz spectrum. Apple is probably going to hold out on 3G until AT&T establishes data service in this spectrum.

Well WTF is taking them? Nobody is going to buy an updated iPhone without 3G. I have the first one from the first day, and I new it was edge, but I expected 3G with the second coming so I could upgrade.

Sorry. Off Topic.

[EDIT] I just checked AT&T phone site. They sell all kinds of phones. This gif is from their site. It doesn't appear they are going to stop expanding their 3G spectrum and just let it pass them by.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    does anyone know if there any upgrade for macbook pro in macworld expo
  • Reply 12 of 78
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    There is a lot of potential for new devices at Mac World not to mention stuff that sorely needs updating. So here are my prdictions.

A Nano like Cell Phone/Ipod. This device will be for the low end and not come with all the PDA functions that iPhone comes with. The target would be the sub $200 range.

Current iPhone gets a simple rev to a lot more memory. We are talking like 32 GB. The 8 GB model may stay around for a bit as a $250 phone.

A new high end iPhone comes out. It will be physically a larger device with a very high resolution screen. It will be 3G capable, have GPS and possibly WiMax. This device will also be a high capacity storage device topping out at 64 GB. The new screen will be HD capable by the way and the GPS functionality will completely support that screen size.

Apple announces a GPS software package that combines locally stored maps with Google on line data. This package will be multi platform, working on 'i' devices and laptops.

Apple will release an ultra portable that is just the nuts. It will redefine the product category. The unit will have GPS capability, cell capability along with the traditional laptop communications hardware. The screen will be high resolution but it will also come with integrated projection capability. Since the unit is ultra portable the projection facility will provide for a much larger viewing area. There will be no CDROM and those complaining about such will be visited by black helicopters. Solid state HD replacement of course.

The Mac Mini is executed not to be replaced.

Apple wises up about Apple TV and realizes that what people want is a media PC that is accessible to the software that they have on hand. So Apple delivers a small form factor machine that can function in place of the missing Mini and Apple TV. This will be a slightly larger device than either of the other older machines. This to support at least one expansion card and room for another disk. XMac.

If it hasn't happened already the Mac Pro gets updated to Penryn. It is of course fast but everybody complains about the supplied video card. This new machine comes with more bays for harddrives. It is otherwise a run of the mill Pro machine.

Apple introduces a low cost machine on the Mac Pro frame that allows them to answer the low cost crowd. This is a single socket machine based on a ATX form factor motherboard. Still we get 4 cores.

Apple expands its iPod line up. Specifically a large format Touch. The idea being to support HD video natively. This will be the first Touch device that drives demand for PDA software also. It will be a dual core platform with a fast (1GHz) processor. The LCD screen will be innovative in that the screen will also function as a solar panel. Thus the unit will have class leading battery life. This guy will have a huge secondary store, up to 128 GB and BlueTooth and other connectivity hardware. It will sort of be like a larger pocketable iPod or a small tablet depending on your point of view. The goal is to remain portable while delivering full 720 HD video to the user. The larger size screen will really open the device to third party apps.

Apple teams up with Nikon to offer up an enhanced DSLR camera. The device will have built in iPod functionality especially with respect to recording and WiFi ease of use. The whole idea is that Apple simplifies the daily operation of a DSLR, in effect they deliver an iPod with a really big lens. The operation of the camera becomes iPod centric instead of Camera centric. To put it another way instead of an embedded device with a user interface tacked on we end up with an "i" computer with a camera tacked on.

Apple announces its first Audio product. It will be a Stereo amplifier designed to work with the iPod. It will lead the market as a class D, 100 watt Amplifier. The form factor will be the same as #7 above. That is Apple will try to deliver a family of audio and computer component on a common foot print. The innovation will come from the integration with current Apple equipment.

Apple introduces an hardened iPhone. This will be an iPhone contained in a water proof case, sort of like what Pelican sells. They idea being to take the iPhones capability into the harshest of environments. The device will not be dramatically different from the second generation iPhone other than it will have a user replaceable battery for 24/7 operation. It may also come with a secondary communications channel such as a VHF radio. Another possibility would be ad hoc network formation in place of VHF. The problem with RF networking is the limited distance that it would be usable, so Apple might come up with technology to address that.

So there you go a Bakers Dozen of things to expect at Mac World!

Dave
  • Reply 13 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There is a lot of potential for new devices at Mac World not to mention stuff that sorely needs updating. So here are my prdictions.

So there you go a Bakers Dozen of things to expect at Mac World!

Dave

This is the kind of post that makes these forums so much fun!

Me, I'm just looking for an updated iPod Touch that doesn't pretend NOT to be a PDA. (More storage, open to developers, Bluetooth keyboard support, external AC power).
  • Reply 14 of 78
    Dave (aka Wiz)

That sounds more like wishfull thinking or dreaming than a prediction for what might come along in January.

Reality we may see an upgrade to the Mac Pro line, they have been coming out about a month after intel releases the chips. Possibly redesign of the Mac Book Pro. There may be some other updates to software but I don't see too much more. The Apple TV deserves an update and new services this month, not in January.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    I'm thinking

13.3" Macbook Pro SR - LED Display, backlit macbook-style keyboard, 2.2Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, NVIDIA 8600M GT $1799

17" now available with LED backlit display

Apple TVHD - 160GB std. with upscaling DVD player $299

xMac (?) - 250GB HD (+1 free HD slot), Intel Quad Core CPU, 2GB RAM (+2 free slots), ATi 2600 Pro graphics (with 2 free PCI slots) $1199

xMac with the Apple TVHD, both replace the Mac Mini

iPhone 1.3 Software Update

Mac Pro & Cinema Display for November 07!
  • Reply 16 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by looksthatkill View Post

I'm thinking

13.3' Macbook Pro SR - LED Display, backlit macbook-style keyboard, 2.2Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, NVIDIA 8600M GT $1799

17' now available with LED backlit display

Apple TVHD - 160GB std. with upscaling DVD player $299

xMac (?) - 250GB HD (+1 free HD slot), Intel Quad Core CPU, 1GB RAM (+1 free slot), ATi 2600 Pro graphics (with 2 free PCI slots) $1199

Mac Pro & Cinema Display for November 07!

the xMac should have 2gb of ram 2 slots free or 1gb 2 slots free.
  • Reply 17 of 78
    wizard69 you better be ready for some serious disappointment. That list of yours is so off the wall it's not even speculative it's imaginary.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by looksthatkill View Post

I'm thinking

13.3' Macbook Pro SR - LED Display, backlit macbook-style keyboard, 2.2Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, NVIDIA 8600M GT $1799

17' now available with LED backlit display

Can't wait for those 13 and 17 foot MacBooks.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    For the last few years, Apple used to proclaim its motto for the upcoming year at MWSF.

My bet is that 2008 will be Apple's year of High Definition (although we might have already had that for the content creation end).

HD-cabable high-end stuff - Considering that the Cinema displays seem a bit overdue for an update and that Apple has not taken a stand yet for either HD-format, I hope we will see HD-DVD/Bluray-combo drive equipped Mac Pros with HDMI outputs. It will take a while for those to trickle down into the consumer lines as they still are fairly expensive - sort of like it did with the original Superdrive.

Penryn is a given on the Mac Pros as MWSF falls nicely into Intel's release schedule.

HD-content on the iTS - As far as I know choice is still limited to Disney's and its affiliates' stuff and due to Universal's recently developed stubbornness I don't see this situation improving. Besides, movies and TV shows are still US only.

Mac mini - I for one hope it will not die, at least not without a proper replacement. I don't think that this replacement will be the xMac everybody seems to be longing for, i.e. it will not be overly upgradeable. Just out of curiosity: are there any cards out there to fill the PCI slots some of you wish for? And I think that having one (user-upgradeable) harddrive is enough, as having an additional drivebay requires more space most users will never fill.

AppleTV - To me it seems like a hobby project lacking a clear strategy. It left (and still leaves) a lot to be desired. But maybe we are in for a surprise: The hardware seems so capable that a software upgrade would make the new features also available on the existing boxes.

I am still a bit confused why the likes of elgato haven't made their tuners' formfactor match the mini's or the AppleTV's.

No iPhone upgrades besides storage capacity - I can't see Apple's iPhone upgrade strategy, but I don't think we will see a (3G and GPS capable) V2.0 just yet. It took them quite a while to get it out to Europe where the 3G network is fairly dense and only a few carrieres even offer EDGE service.

I think we will see an announcement well in advance as it takes some time to get it through the regulatory authorities and Apple prefers to announce the device themselves instead of info leaking out during the approval process.

But I fear Steve will be talking about the iPhone in great breadth: sales figures, user experience (new TV ads), more international (Asia, anyone?) launches, maybe a few more apps from Apple and finally the upcoming official SDK. I bet this will take half of the keynotes time. This and talk about Leopard and how well it is adopted.

Software - Since iLife and iWorks were released a fair bit delayed, I can't see any big announcements on that front. Since Office 2008 will be launched at Macworld, I think we will have to prepare ourselves for a lenghty presentation. What ever happend to all of id Software's projects that were announcent first on the Mac (e.g. Doom 3) but seemed to become second priority afterwards (games in general, for that matter)?

Wishful thinking on my part -

a) The comeback of the ultra-portable. With ASUS's eeePC, the OLPC and Intel's Classmate stuff, Apple is falling far behind in the emerging markets education business. And opening an Apple Store in India will not help them much without the right products.

b) A home/SoHo server. Five clients max, fool proof centralized user managment, storage (for media files to be streamed) and software update functionality. From early reviews those are the shortcomings of MS's Windows Home Server products. Maybe, they can make it integrate seamlessly with the Airport basestation.

c) Airport Express be upgraded to 802.11n.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Argee to Home Server Point. I was hopping Apple make a Cubic Server with 4 - 5 hard disk inside. Although i think apple is still waiting for ZFS to complete before doing so. But i hope i am wrong.