Safari Plugins?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
What's the deal with Safari plugins?

From what I heard, Apple considers the user InputManagers directory to be a security risk. This is the mechanism by which plugins were installed for Safari.

I just visited the PithHelmet page, and found out that Pith Helmet doesn't yet work in Leopard.

IMO, this represents Safari's #1 weakness as a browser. Despite their lack of elegance in OS X, Firefox and Opera represent much better and feature-rich browsers. For Firefox, a big reason for this is the rich variety of plugins.

Without Pith Helmet or any other adblocker, Safari is simply not usable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    steste Posts: 119member
    I believe Safari plug-ins are disabled in 10.5. Don't know if this is a permanent decision or not.

I had the same problem with FLVR, but Tasty Apps acted quickly, offering a workaround application called Videobox free of charge to previous FLVR subscribers. Videobox is still in beta, but so far it works like a charm.

Link: http://www.tastyapps.com/
  • Reply 2 of 3
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I have used Safari and Firefox. For me, I needed plugins to make Firefox do what Safari already does. I don't find myself needing plugins for Safari. Might just be me.

I also ditched the pdf browser plug in (schubert?) and now use what is in Leopard Safari. Reads pdfs fantastic and quick. Also gives you the option while the pdf is open to view in Preview.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Inquisitor works.