NBC chief says Apple 'destroyed' music pricing

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polar315 View Post

Hey Zucker !!!

I would not pay $2.99 for a show. End of story. I am hard pressed to pay $1.99 for the show. Keep in mind that with so many people having PVRs your audience is shrinking.

Try $0.99 for a show instead. Think of the big picture. Numbers of downloads increase and you make more. If I missed a show would be willing to spring for a buck to watch it. Keep in mind that since you are getting all these shows for the price of your monthly bill already it is like I am paying twice for something.

TV shows are viewed differently than movies. I am paying my cable bill and 20 minutes of every hour for commercials. How many times do you want to charge me for these shows ?

I wonder what the floor is for Apple to sell video content? Would a .50 show work? how about .25? There is a lot of 2-3 minute content that might be worth anywhere from 10 cents to under a dollar that would dramatically expand the market for iPod/AppleTV content consumption.
  • Reply 162 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by borg_drone View Post

Zucker just wants more $$$$ to send to Israel

Keep your anti-Semitic crap to yourself. We're talking business here, not religion.
  • Reply 163 of 176
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzman View Post

Yeah, or a cellphone manufacturer wanting a cut from the mobile provider - that would be absurd, I tell you, ABSURD!

You have it backwards. It's like a mobile provider wanting a cut of every cell phone sold. Whether that cell phone sign up for their network or not. Just the fact that it's capable of signing up for their network is enough for them to demand a cut.

The way you have it worded is the way it actually is. Apple gets a cut of every NBC video sold in iTunes. Whether that NBC download is veiwed on an iPod or not.

Why should NBC get a cut of every iPod sold when not all iPods sold will ever have a NBC video downloaded into it and not every NBC video sold is downloaded into an iPod. Some people watch the video on their computer or use iTV to watch it on their TV.

You get the picture?
  • Reply 164 of 176
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

Why should NBC get a cut of every iPod sold when not all iPods sold will ever have a NBC video downloaded into it and not every NBC video sold is downloaded into an iPod. Some people watch the video on their computer or use iTV to watch it on their TV.

I don't know why either, but Zucker is publicly demanding it. I think they want it to be something like the CD levy in some countries, where they get a cut of the blank media, under the assumption that a lot of those CDs will be used for infringing purposes.
  • Reply 165 of 176
    Thank you Mr Zucker for signing your own resignation. There's no way you can talk your way out of this once your plan fails miserably like every single service before it.

How can someone be so blind as to see service after service fail because they did exactly what you want Apple to do. You might as well be asking iTunes to go bankrupt instead of asking the stupid questions you are.
  • Reply 166 of 176
    straskstrask Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

You have it backwards. It's like a mobile provider wanting a cut of every cell phone sold. Whether that cell phone sign up for their network or not. Just the fact that it's capable of signing up for their network is enough for them to demand a cut.

The way you have it worded is the way it actually is. Apple gets a cut of every NBC video sold in iTunes. Whether that NBC download is veiwed on an iPod or not.

You get the picture?

No, he had it right. I assume you get the point that this was a joke about Apple's deal with ATT.
  • Reply 167 of 176
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Are we not men?

To the last - again!
  • Reply 168 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You make some good points, Greg, but iTunes also reduces cost. With fewer DVDs and printed materials that would normally accompany a DVD release, the all-digital download is almost pure profit.

It never ceases to amaze me how cheaply stuff can be manufactured & shipped and how high IT salaries are!

McD
  • Reply 169 of 176
    Quote:

I wonder what the floor is for Apple to sell video content? Would a .50 show work? how about .25? There is a lot of 2-3 minute content that might be worth anywhere from 10 cents to under a dollar that would dramatically expand the market for iPod/AppleTV content consumption.

I just subscribed to ITN News from the UK - I have the undeniable urge to buy a BMW. I think the ratio of ad to content by time was 25%

McD
  • Reply 170 of 176
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strask View Post

No, he had it right. I assume you get the point that this was a joke about Apple's deal with ATT.

Yeah, I realize that he was jokingly trying to point out the irony of it all. But he still had to turn around the analogy in an attempt to make the joke work. It would be right if Apple demanded a cut from every ATT subscriber. Whether they use an iPhone or not. But then again, if Apple did demand a cut from every ATT subscriber, he wouldn't be a joking. \
  • Reply 171 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzman View Post

Yeah, or a cellphone manufacturer wanting a cut from the mobile provider - that would be absurd, I tell you, ABSURD!

Well I don't think you have thought that through very well. Apple as a mobile phone manufacturer gets a cut from all the new business that they bring to AT&T which is nothing different than AT&T paying commission to their sales force. (Which they do)

However, NBC's content on iTunes is not exclusive and they are not responsible for bringing that much (if any) new business to Apple. The iPod/iTunes business is established.

Smart phones on the other hand only make up a small portion of the cellular market and the iPhone has brought hundreds of thousands of new subscribers into this market for the first time. Does NBC's content on iTunes do the same thing for iPod sales that the iPhone does for AT&T's sales? I think not.
  • Reply 172 of 176
    " "Apple sold millions of dollars worth of hardware off the back of our content and made a lot of money,"

And NBC made lots of money with overinflated pricing of download materials.

Not only that, but NBC surely made money by increasing its ratings on said shows by having them available for people to download. Downloads on iTunes surely acted as additional advertising for NBC. Why do they also need a cut of Apples hardware?? Oh yeah that was already answered -- "Greed."

With regard to the music industry, let's remember that it was the Music industry itself that eliminated the single, forcing YOU to buy the entire CD whether you wanted to or not. First they tried to charge $3 to $4 per pop, then they said "no more singles, it costs us too much." Apple came along and showed them that BILLIONS could be made sellings singles for 99 cents each. Apple isn't destroying the music industry. It seems to me that the music industry is destroying itself just fine.
  • Reply 173 of 176
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Quote:

AppleTV2 needs to add torrent capability and DVR. That'll show 'em.

Dont hold yer breath on the torrent thing

DVR on the other hand would be fantastic. Love my tivo but with apples record on ease of use and functionality, I would trade my tivo for an apple tv with DVR in two seconds.
  • Reply 174 of 176
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jesterpaul View Post

I fired up the latest Xtorrent. Heroes already downloading.

Lots more of that will happen thanks to NBC. And we only just got an iTunes store about six months ago in New Zealand. What an idiotic attitude to take NBC.

While I understand your sentiment, what you are saying in your post is still illegal (at least here in the US).

I would keep the torrent info to yourself and just live with the satisfaction that you wont be bullied by the media greedies