What does Apple have lined up for the Macworld Expo in January?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I just want an ultra-portable at this point. I think we have waited long enough.

However, .Mac eats up drive sapce now more than before with the disk image. So, they will have to give me 80 GB of HDD space in Flash form.
  • Reply 22 of 78
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I just want an ultra-portable at this point. I think we have waited long enough.

However, .Mac eats up drive sapce now more than before with the disk image. So, they will have to give me 80 GB of HDD space in Flash form.

Just a few months ago, the largest flash drives went from 32GB to 64GB. I'm sure 128GB flash drives will be released sometime in 2008. My 12" PowerBook has a 75GB drive (officially 80GB) and I could live with 64GB.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Can't wait for those 13 and 17 foot MacBooks.

argh! whoops
  • Reply 24 of 78
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    the - from me for long predicted - Cube II / Homeserver..

8x8x8", configurable with up to 3 HDD (=1.5TB)

wireless, no usb, no dvi, only power-line and ethernet..

full remotely controlled from a 'master' Mac ..

as server for music, video, data in whole household...

and mainly as 'Timemachine device' ..

all those new toys&gadgets (a video! library in iMovie, tons of ripped music, an esp. TM) make no sense at all without a wireless server..

all needed software is there, .. we just need a 'designed' box.. did I say NeXT ..
  • Reply 25 of 78
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    No new iPhone, but a new multi-touch device. Kind of a Palm Foleo, but good.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k_munic View Post

the - from me for long predicted - Cube II / Homeserver..

8x8x8", configurable with up to 3 HDD (=1.5TB)

wireless, no usb, no dvi, only power-line and ethernet..

full remotely controlled from a 'master' Mac ..

as server for music, video, data in whole household...

and mainly as 'Timemachine device' ..

all those new toys&gadgets (a video! library in iMovie, tons of ripped music, an esp. TM) make no sense at all without a wireless server..

all needed software is there, .. we just need a 'designed' box.. did I say NeXT ..

I don't see Apple making servers in a form factor other than 1U rackmout. I expect the next Xserve to have space for 4x 2.5" HDDs and a wireless option for home and small business users.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I don't see Apple making servers in a form factor other than 1U rackmout. ...

looks smart, such a rackmount in my closet.. or, aside my stereo.. or ontop my telly..

I wrote HOMESERVER.. home as private, house, consumer, low budget..

Timemachine and all those Gigs of Libraries, (iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie) DO need some space outside a 2.5" laptop drive..
  • Reply 28 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k_munic View Post

looks smart, such a rackmount in my closet.. or, aside my stereo.. or ontop my telly..

I wrote HOMESERVER.. home as private, house, consumer, low budget..

Timemachine and all those Gigs of Libraries, (iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie) DO need some space outside a 2.5" laptop drive..

I'm not talking about laptop drives. The trend in big datacenters is to 2.5" drives because they consume less power and generate less heat per GB. Big RAID arrays with many TBs are increasingly commonly based on 2.5" drives. We'll see 400GB 2.5" drives next year. That means a RAID array in a 1U form factor using 4 drives will have a useable capacity of about 1.2TB.

Producing a different form factor for aesthetic reasons to deliver the same functionality would drive the price up not down. When Apple are selling 100,000 Xserves per year to the home and small business markets, then they might consider a server with a different form factor.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    Quote:

...Producing a different form factor for aesthetic reasons to deliver the same functionality would drive the price up not down. ...

no shocking new news for Apple customers.. and we LOVE to pay a lil' more, to get a different form factor ...

plus, as mentioned above: I don't own, nor do I want an industrial rackmount in my household.. a black Cube with a shimmering red 'eye'? sure..

Quote:

... then they might consider a server with a different form factor.

I assume, the decision making process of Jobso and Yves is quite the opposite..

time will tell..
  • Reply 30 of 78
    I personally expect the following at MacWorld Expo in January 2008:

iPhone--a second-generation model (16 and 32 GB of flash memory) that adds these functionality: optional external keyboard, HSDPA 3G broadband access over AT&T cellular network, and some internal software upgrades.

Mac Pro--new models with upgraded CPU's and graphics cards, plus optional Blu-Ray burner drive with full HDCP video support.

iMac--upgraded versions of current models, now with optional Blu-Ray burner drives with HDCP video support so the iMac display can play back Blu-Ray movies at HD resolution.

iPod--new 32 GB flash memory iPod touch and new 16 GB flash memory iPod nano.

Cinema Displays--new models in 24", 27" and 30" sizes, now with full HDCP support so it can play back Blu-Ray discs at full HD resolution.
  • Reply 31 of 78
    I agree that there is an opening for an Apple HOME server box.

I'd like Apple to Applefy something like the Drobo.

I think the timing is right now that many people have lots of digital images, files, videos etc that are at risk to be lost.

Also it's a pain having fragmented data in the home, centralizing it the Apple way would add improved access to files that are on other machines that may be temporarily unavailable (laptops) and contingency to drive failures.

Also, xMac or improved mini - bring it on!
  • Reply 32 of 78
    I agree with most things.. I'm hoping sometime soon thereafter (cmon, Penryn!) we'll see an ultraportable. Like a lot of you guys, I'm hoping for iPhone 2, redesigned Mini, maybe some other updates to the other products as well.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    guys,

expect Apple to announce no more than maybe at the most 3 pieces of hardware at MWSF. Some of you are listing over a dozen things!
  • Reply 34 of 78
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

guys,

expect Apple to announce no more than maybe at the most 3 pieces of hardware at MWSF. Some of you are listing over a dozen things!

Hey, there are bound to be a few things this year, in time for the Christmas season.

• Reply 35 of 78
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    hehehehe.

Oh man hopefully tomorrow, MacPro update!
  • Reply 36 of 78
    Tuesdays are special to me.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Well WTF is taking them? Nobody is going to buy an updated iPhone without 3G.

I don't know why this keeps coming up as some big mystery. When Apple announced the iPhone in Europe Jobs said he expected 3G to come around late 2008.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

guys,

Well, the more predictions one makes, then the more chances one has of getting some of them right now.
  • Reply 39 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There is a lot of potential for new devices at Mac World not to mention stuff that sorely needs updating. So here are my prdictions.

Apple introduces a low cost machine on the Mac Pro frame that allows them to answer the low cost crowd. This is a single socket machine based on a ATX form factor motherboard. Still we get 4 cores.

This is what I am hoping gets unveiled at MWSF2008.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    tripotripo Posts: 74member
    Should we take this as an option ??

i a tablet ???