Where are all the Gigs?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just got my macbook pro in the mail and before I even installed leopard, it says I only have 135 gigs of space and that the HD itself is only 145 gigs. I ordered a 160gig harddrive for a reason. I know its suppose to be less than 160, but by 15 gigs? come on now.

is this normal?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Sigh....how many times will this kind of question be asked?

Yes it is normal. for every K, the difference is 2.5% (1024 vs 1000). For every M, it is 5%. For every G, it is almost 8%.

For 160G, that mathmatically difference is 12G.

Then the file system itself needs space. 145GB is the formatted storage.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    alright...it's all good then. I haven't updated computers recently, so other than my externals I haven't had this much space and wasnt really sure what i was working with. I guess its about 72gigs from an 80. Thanks

p.s. Is tiger automatically uninstalled when leopard is installed?

thanks guys
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Should be 149 for a 160GB HD.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Ah, the knowledge of these forums Bravo for the quick responses.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    The thing is that this problem is only going to get worse. As mentioned the 1024 vs 1000 "gap" will only get bigger and bigger as we approach terabyte level stuff.

Maybe within the next 5 years we will see the marketing adjusted such as storage will be labelled as

"3 TB ready"

"5 TB minimum"

To refer to expected terabytes available after formatting etc. etc.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post

alright...it's all good then. I haven't updated computers recently, so other than my externals I haven't had this much space and wasnt really sure what i was working with. I guess its about 72gigs from an 80. Thanks

p.s. Is tiger automatically uninstalled when leopard is installed?

thanks guys

no it isn't. if you want to get rid of tiger and all it's left overs, you have to do an erase and install. it completely wipes the hard drive and installs a french copy of leopard.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

no it isn't. if you want to get rid of tiger and all it's left overs, you have to do an erase and install. it completely wipes the hard drive and installs a french copy of leopard.

That's fine for you Canadians, but down here in the US it sucks! I only speak English. I know I should really be bi-lingual, but I'm not and while I don't expect other people to conform to my language, I DO expect my computer to! That's totally lame that I get stuck with French if I want to do a clean install of Leopard.

Sorry... couldn't resist.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    LOL ... I do like french toast though.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

That's fine for you Canadians, but down here in the US it sucks! I only speak English. I know I should really be bi-lingual, but I'm not and while I don't expect other people to conform to my language, I DO expect my computer to! That's totally lame that I get stuck with French if I want to do a clean install of Leopard.

Sorry... couldn't resist.

you're leopard is in french? haha sucks. i live in quebec, the place of peppers. but i'm not so swell at speaking it. or writting it for that matter.