what do you all use for virus?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    In my opinion, the risk of viruses on the mac is so minute that running an AV program is actually more dangerous than not running one. (for average users)

Not that AV programs are dangerous. Just that the alternate risk is so low.

Do the most recent versions of mac anti-virus programs install as normal applications? Or do they still require mucking with /System or .kexts?
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

In my opinion, the risk of viruses on the mac is so minute that running an AV program is actually more dangerous than not running one. (for average users)

Not that AV programs are dangerous. Just that the alternate risk is so low.

Do the most recent versions of mac anti-virus programs install as normal applications? Or do they still require mucking with /System or .kexts?

I'm not sure about the others, but I know ClamXav was just a regular installation package. It was pretty simple to install.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I wasn't referring to the complexity of installation. Instead, I am interested in if it needs to mess with the system at all.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:

I wasn't referring to the complexity of installation. Instead, I am interested in if it needs to mess with the system at all.

Hmm... don't know that one off the top of my head. Sorry for the mix up.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Quote:

It did reset all my Photoshop CS3 settings.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by compulsiveguile View Post

Ha ha, well that doesn't add to our bias, does it? Good to know it works, right?

Hahahaha... That's great, that should answer everyones questions!
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Only precaution I take is to use a 'Standard' account for everyday with a separate 'Admin' account. If you use your admin account all the time you can be tricked as after entering the password there is a 300 second countdown before the OS will request it again (I'm told). In a standard account it asks every time.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthem View Post

What program is the best or what do u use that has protected u the most? Im going to need to pick one up soon. thanks in advance.

On the PC, NOD 32. On the Mac, nothing.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    What's a virus?

Seriously though, on OSX, four years running without a virus now. On PC, AVG Free Edition and the Windows Firewall. I also run all my computers through a home router, which helps.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Vir... what?
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Viruses? ,,,,,, What are they? ......