First builds of Mac OS X 10.5.1 pack over two dozen fixes

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Moving quickly to address issues in the inaugural version of its Leopard operating system, Apple on Wednesday tapped its developer community to begin testing the first maintenance and bug fix update to the software, labeled Mac OS X 10.5.1.

The Cupertino-based Mac maker initiated the testing process by offering software developers access to Mac OS X 10.5.1 build 9B13, which weighed in at a hefty 267MB, according to people familiar with the process.

Among the fixes already baked into the first test build are corrections to Leopard's application Firewall, Spotlight indexing, iCal syncing, Keychain login and text drawing corruption.

Mac OS X 10.5.1 will also deliver a significant number of bug fixes relating to Leopard's email client, namely corrections to Mail syncing, HTML anchors, Email alarms, To-Do Notes, and smart mailboxs.

In total, build 9B13 includes well over two dozen fixes and code corrections, those familiar with the software say, and addresses an issue present when moving files across partitions -- possibly one and the same with the widely publicized Finder data-loss bug.

Apple has reportedly asked that its developers test the update broadly, paying particular attention to Time Machine, Mail, iCal, Back To My Mac, Bonjour, AirPort, gaming graphics, networking and the Finder.

Mac OS X 10.5.1 is expected to be released within a few weeks' time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 111
    Finally!!!!!!!! Took long enough!!!!!!!!!!

/sarcasm
  • Reply 2 of 111
    yea! I think I will wait just for a few more dot releases before I convert over fulltime... I did enjoy using 10.5 momentarily though.
  • Reply 3 of 111
    Glad to see Apple is 'johnny-on-the-spot' with these corrections. But it does seem to point to spotty beta-testing of Leopard. So many fixes and most aimed at the highly touted features.

And Microsoft just announced they were pulling SP1 for Vista from it's beta testers as it's not even close to prime time. M$ expects to deliver those bug fixes somewhere around the middle of next year....

I guess patience is a virtue for Windows suffers, er, I mean users.....
  • Reply 4 of 111
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Come on, Apple, just fix the dock so you can use nested folders again and I'll put my name on a 24" 2.8GHz iMac...
  • Reply 5 of 111
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Come on, Apple, just fix the dock so you can use nested folders again and I'll put my name on a 24" 2.8GHz iMac...

If you are not planning on using Spaces, you can replace the 10.5 dock with the one from 10.4
  • Reply 6 of 111
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    You will always have issues with the advent of a major OS update.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcsdoc View Post

Glad to see Apple is 'johnny-on-the-spot' with these corrections. But it does seem to point to spotty beta-testing of Leopard. So many fixes and most aimed at the highly touted features.

• Reply 7 of 111
    It's a real shame that Apple has chosen to ignore the SERIOUS problems with the "folder side" of the dock in Leopard, and has chosen not to fix any of these dock problems. Namely, the loss of hierarchical navigation in folders, the loss of folders' abilities to display custom icons (without a tedious workaround), and the ability to turn OFF stacks. Horrible changes which have made Leopard completely unusable for us and many others... yet Apple refuses to ignore these issues.

Not to mention the fact that all the "special folders" in the Finder now look exactly the same. Absolutely horrendous decisions from somebody at Apple... most likely Steve Jobs, who is not a power user of Mac OS X and is now catering the operating system to beginners by stripping away features from advanced users.
  • Reply 8 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

yet Apple refuses to ignore these issues.

I refuse to ignore this comment.
  • Reply 9 of 111
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

If you are not planning on using Spaces, you can replace the 10.5 dock with the one from 10.4

How? Can Leopard's menu bar be replaced with Tiger's? Can I make the Leopard Finder look like Tiger's?

Never mind. I'll just stick with Tiger.
  • Reply 10 of 111
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

How? Can Leopard's menu bar be replaced with Tiger's? Can I make the Leopard Finder look like Tiger's?

Never mind. I'll just stick with Tiger.

Why would you want to replace these superior GUI qualities with those of an inferior one?
  • Reply 11 of 111
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    My EYES, the BRIGHTNESS is killing me!!
  • Reply 12 of 111
    Quote:

Horrible changes which have made Leopard completely unusable for us and many others... yet Apple refuses to ignore these issues.

Completely unusable? Please.

I for one am glad to see that - as you say - Apple refuses to ignore these issues. So we should see some changes any day now.
  • Reply 13 of 111
    I for one HOPE they change the opacity issue with the drop down finder menus. Apple took a step backwards in regards to that. The menus are hard to read when on top heavy text windows or web windows etc.. Anyone else agree? I remember them changing early versions of OSX because people complained about it. 10.4 was nice in my book in regards to the very little transparency eye candy.
  • Reply 14 of 111
    Sorry, but I'm boycotting Leopard until a way is found to get navigation back in the folder side of the dock - I use this all the time on Tiger. Also the dock is vastly inferior in Leopard - from every point of view, design and look and functionality - the Tiger dock is more clear (I hate the blue orbs), the stupid shelf idea steals space from the display compared to Tiger, and the folders on Tiger are much more clear than the generic BS look of Leopard folders. Plus countless bugs in Leopard. No thanks.

Now, no doubt fixes, workarounds and 3rd party solutions will be found for most of these problems, so I'll wait for that. I'm very disappointed by Leopard. Bring on 10.6. I'll be in the market for an iMac next year, but I may just skip it if Leopard continues to be a dog instead of a cool cat.
  • Reply 15 of 111
    Quote:

It's a real shame that Apple has chosen to ignore the SERIOUS problems with the "folder side" of the dock in Leopard, and has chosen not to fix any of these dock problems. Namely, the loss of hierarchical navigation in folders, the loss of folders' abilities to display custom icons (without a tedious workaround), and the ability to turn OFF stacks. Horrible changes which have made Leopard completely unusable for us and many others... yet Apple refuses to ignore these issues.

Not to mention the fact that all the "special folders" in the Finder now look exactly the same. Absolutely horrendous decisions from somebody at Apple... most likely Steve Jobs, who is not a power user of Mac OS X and is now catering the operating system to beginners by stripping away features from advanced users.

Who is this us you speak for?
  • Reply 16 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Who is this us you speak for?

QFT.

I hope Apple ignores all the nonsensical hysteria over the dock and focuses on getting the far more serious networking/AirPort issues fixed.
  • Reply 17 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Spaces works just fine with the 10.4-style (and superior) dock.
  • Reply 18 of 111
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

Why would you want to replace these superior GUI qualities with those of an inferior one?

Menu Bar Transparency: useless, makes the menu bar harder to see in certain circumstances (depending on your background).

Finder: In Tiger, the categories (Networks, MacHD, Desktop) were clearly separated, the icons are much bigger and easier to see.

Leopard Dock: Don't even get me started.
  • Reply 19 of 111
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charleski View Post

QFT.

I hope Apple ignores all the nonsensical hysteria over the dock and focuses on getting the far more serious networking/AirPort issues fixed.

Yep, I need them to fix PPPoE over VPN first or I can't use it. Until I get an external hard drive (and they fix time machine) I can't install it anyways.
  • Reply 20 of 111
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I'll probably upgrade to Leo when .1 is released and after I see how it is received by users here. Recently I was at the Apple store in Orlando and was able to play around with some Macs with Leopard. Although I spent limited time on the machines I liked what I saw. As far as the dock and menu bar issues, they seem overdoene to me. I had no trouble 'seeing' and doing what I wanted to do.

As soon as some bugs are worked out I ready.

Does anyone know if there are any HP printer issues with Leopard? I've not read of any but all the printers I use with my MBP are HP.