MS Office update checking MS servers?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just went to install MS Office 10.1.1 (I know, but I get so many damn .docs that I have to have it around), and I notice my cable modem going crazy on the send and receive lights. This went on for a quite a while, then I force quit the update. The communication stopped.

OK, first off, does anyone know if this is supposed to happen. Why would an updater need to query anything on the web? It was taking so long it made me wonder.

Second, I have heard of port sniffers. Are there any easy ones for OSX yet?

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    have you enabled that firewall setting to keep MS Office from talking to everything on your local network and looking for other copies of itself?

I bet if you killed that off, it wouldn't get to the Net, if that is indeed what it was doing.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by mrmister:

<strong>have you enabled that firewall setting to keep MS Office from talking to everything on your local network and looking for other copies of itself?

I bet if you killed that off, it wouldn't get to the Net, if that is indeed what it was doing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I want to, but don't know how. Any suggestions?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    See <a href="http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20020406142423494"; target="_blank">here</a>. Make and Applescript application out of it and have it launch at login, and you're set. Keep in mind this only prevents LAN checks and doesn't guarantee that the update is prevent from using other ports.

What I'd recommend if you're really worried is to turn off your network connection while you install and see if that has any negative affect on the installation. To do this: go to system preferences -&gt; network and select network port configurations from the drop box (this is jag, it may be called something different in X.1). Uncheck the one that's your connection to the internet. Install it and then recheck it. HTH.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    thank you, i will give your suggestions a try
  • Reply 5 of 6
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>To do this: go to system preferences -&gt; network and select network port configurations from the drop box (this is jag, it may be called something different in X.1). Uncheck the one that's your connection to the internet. Install it and then recheck it. HTH.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Of course, you can also just pull out your Ethernet cable (or turn off your AirPort card). That's much easier for a technologically challenged person like me.

Escher
  • Reply 6 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

<strong>

Of course, you can also just pull out your Ethernet cable (or turn off your AirPort card). That's much easier for a technologically challenged person like me.

Escher</strong><hr></blockquote>

But what's the fun in that? I guess either way would work.