Vista/Leopard?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Ok, I am not a moron, but I have been out of touch with the Mac World for a while, due the evils of work. So here is my question, I have a white Macbook, running a 2GHZ Intel Core Duo with 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM and OS 10.4.10, ok so I copied that from the About this Mac window. Anyway, what I want to know is can I run Vista on this system as is, or do I need to upgrade to Leopard. And how do I set up my computer to share both. I greatly appreciate your any help, so I will thank you in advance.

FA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    You don't have to upgrade to Leopard, but there's always the possibility of a snappier experience. You can run Vista with Boot Camp, VMware Fusion, or Parallels in 10.4.10, but it will be terribly slow in Fusion or Parallels. It will run just fine in Boot Camp though, considering the beta hasn't expired like so many other users have been reporting. A RAM upgrade wouldn't hurt though.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    How much RAM do I need?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fay31 View Post

How much RAM do I need?

Another gigabyte wouldn't hurt. My son runs XP under Fusion on his 2GB MBP and has no complaints about performance - he uses it to run AutoCAD which, while not a graphics intensive game, certainly stresses the system more than just running Outlook or IE would.

... WkH
  • Reply 4 of 11
    The Bootcamp beta will expire soon, so if you want to use Bootcamp, you have to upgrade.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    What type of work do you need to do in Windows will XP work for yoy or do you have to use Vista?

If XP will work for you, I would use VMware Fusion, or Parallels 3.0 under Tiger.... I would also upgrade the ram if you can 2Gb would do the trick
  • Reply 6 of 11
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

If XP will work for you, I would use VMware Fusion, or Parallels 3.0 under Tiger.... I would also upgrade the ram if you can 2Mb would do the trick

I think you mean 2Gb.

• Reply 7 of 11
    atlasatlas Posts: 90member
    Vista only requires 1GB, but Home Premium recommends 2GB.

Deffinently won't hurt. Vista hogs up too much RAM.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I am using it to sign into my company's remote access so that I can have access to my work computer. I thought I could only run Vista, are you saying I have my choice of XP or Vista?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fay31 View Post

I am using it to sign into my company's remote access so that I can have access to my work computer. I thought I could only run Vista, are you saying I have my choice of XP or Vista?

If what you're doing is supported by XP I would choose XP over Vista. Boot camp does allow XP and runs it very well. If you're not using real intensive applications 1GB of ram would be fine but 2GB total would work better. If you decide to go with Vista I would recommend 2GB actually - it hogs all your resources.

I run OS X, XP and Vista on my Mac Pro and all work fine.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

If what you're doing is supported by XP I would choose XP over Vista. Boot camp does allow XP and runs it very well. If you're not using real intensive applications 1GB of ram would be fine but 2GB total would work better. If you decide to go with Vista I would recommend 2GB actually - it hogs all your resources.

I run OS X, XP and Vista on my Mac Pro and all work fine.

So am I wrong in thinking that there was some conflict with EFI and 32bit? Does the new boot camp fix that issue? Once again thank you everyone for your help so far.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    If you want to keep your cost down just use VMware Fusion, or Parallels 3.0 and install XP home or Pro. Your cost will be less than $100.00.

You can set your VM up to use 512mb of ram for XP if you are going to connect to your work computer with remote desk top, because all the real processing is going to be taking place on the work PC. The 1GB of ram you have will be OK.

In the future you will be able to add more ram if you would like and also upgrage to OSX 10.5 but to do what you need to do should only cost you about $80.00 if you have a good copy of XP already.

Just figured I would point that out if the cost comes in to play for you.