Spiral glass staircase at future NYC Apple store; Hard Drive Update 1.0

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday evening release a hard drive software updated for owners of its iMac and Mac Pro desktops. Meanwhile, Manhattan's third Apple flagship shop is due to receive a snazzy spiral glass staircase. And reports claim that an iPhone line has already formed outside the Regent St. Apple store in London.

Hard Drive Update 1.0

The Hard Drive Update 1.0 [1.4MB] includes bug fixes and important updates for iMac Core 2 Duo systems running Mac OS X 10.4.7 or later, and Mac Pro workstations running Mac OS X 10.4.7 or later.

To complete the firmware update process, Apple instructs users to follow the instructions in the updater application. The updater will launch automatically when the Installer closes.

Meatpacking store to get spiral glass staircase

Though it seems that Apple has successfully courted its construction contractors to join its tight-lipped regiment, one eagle-eyed Manhattan resident was still able to scope out an intriguing nugget of info on the company's upcoming flagship shop in the island's Meatpacking District by studying a posted building permit.

"As I was walking past the sidewalk permits, something caught my eye and I stopped to shoot a photo of one of the permits with my blackberry curve," reports Musings of a VC in NYC. "As I was taking the photo, the construction site boss came out and started glaring at me. He asked me, 'What are you doing and who are you?' I told him I was Fred Wilson and I was taking a photo of the sidewalk permit. I mentioned that it is a public permit and that it was there to inform the public about what was going on there. He just stood there staring at me and I checked my photo to make sure I got what I wanted and then headed on."

What caught Fred's eye was that the permit contained a reference to a "large glass circular stair," which is expected to join floors one and two of the approximately 10,000-square-foot retail outlet.

Apple has already played this card before to much success. The first instance came by way of the company's Osaka, Japan-based flagship shop back in 2004, where a 24-step, spiral glass stairway was suspended from the second floor, forming the centerpiece of outlet and greeting patrons as they pass through the location's glass entranceway. Apple later built similar structures into its Shibuya store in Japan, its Fifth Ave. flagship in Manhattan, and its recent Buchanan Street store in Glasgow, Scotland.

Apple's first spiral glass stairway erected in Osaka Japan.

Interestingly, the Cupertino-based company has received multiple patents on its glass staircase designs, which list chief executive Steve Jobs amongst their inventors. The latest patent, granted in January, focuses on the engineering and manufacture of the laminated glass panels used in the structures, as well as the employment of titanium inserts to attach the panels together.

The spiral glass staircase used in Glasgow is a near twin of the one in Osaka.

The upcoming flagship shop at West 14th Street and 9th Avenue in Manhattan's Meatpacking District had been rumored for an opening ahead of this year's holiday shopping season, though it's presently unclear if it will make the cut.

iPhone line forms in London

Apple will launch the iPhone in the UK at 6.02pm tomorrow night, and a queue is already forming outside its doors on Regent Street, reports Macworld UK.

"It's not the longest queue -- yet, but two people have arrived outside the store equipped with warm weather clothing, folding chairs and grim, dogged determination to be among the first people in the UK to get hold of an iPhone.

Professional line waiter Greg Packer awaits iPhone outside Apple's flagship shop in Midtown Manhattan back in June.

The move replicates the US experience, where the first queues began to form outside Apple and AT&T shops the day before the product launched. Hundreds had joined these queues by the time the iPhone went on sale."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Was that last photo really necessary?
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has already played this card before to much success. The first instance came by way of the company's Osaka, Japan-based flagship shop back in 2004, where a 24-step, spiral glass stairway was suspended from the second floor, forming the centerpiece of outlet and greeting patrons as they pass through the location's glass entranceway. Apple later built similar structures into its Shibuya store in Japan and its recent Buchanan Street store in Glasgow, Scotland.

Let's not forget that there's a big ol' spiral glass staircase right in the middle of Apple's other NYC store, on 5th avenue!
  • Reply 3 of 36
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wopwop View Post

Let's not forget that there's a big ol' spiral glass staircase right in the middle of Apple's other NYC store, on 5th avenue!

At the SOHO it's not spiral, but it is glass and there is also a bridge.

Personally, I think it would be cooler if they used glass only for the supports and made the treads metal and stone. Not only would it be suggest a continuation of the floor upstairs, but it would also look really cool.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    This guy needs to pick up a Nike Sports Kit while he's there.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

Was that last photo really necessary?

It burned my eyes out.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Perhaps rather than spending money on a new phone our chubby friend there should go ahead and buy a gym membership and/or a shirt! hide your shame sir.

flick.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It's too bad that Apple had to put carpet over the glass stairs in the GM Plaza store. I assume someone must have slipped. The grey carpet pieces look terrible.

If they're going to have to do that, then I don't see the point to the glass.

I haven't been to the SoHo store in a while, so I don't know if they did that there as well.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Is that permanent? I thought they only do it when it rains.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

Is that permanent? I thought they only do it when it rains.

My daughter and I went when it was warm and dry. I don't go every week, so I can't say if it's still installed, but it was the first time I've seen that there, and I've been there over a dozen times.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    What a waste of money. Instead they could have installed normal stairs and have lower prices.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Marketing--including store design--is always a waste of money. Retail flagship stores should be in barns with hay floors. THAT would be good marketing. And what's with lighted signs on stores? These stores think you can't read by sunlight and streetlamps? Waste of money.

PS, why are people lining up now, if they already know Apple DID make enough to meet demand last time? People will probably walk in 30 minutes after the line clears and get one without all the fuss
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

What a waste of money. Instead they could have installed normal stairs and have lower prices.

If anything I've read that was silly recently, this is it.

Just how could installing "regular" stairs in a few stores lower prices?
  • Reply 13 of 36
    I have two insightful comments.

1. That man is a hobo, not an iPhone customer.

2. Those glass staircases are created for one purpose only: to look up girls skirts.

</insightful comments>
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

At the SOHO it's not spiral, but it is glass and there is also a bridge.

Right, that's why I said "Apple's other NYC store, on 5th avenue!"
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkExpensive View Post

I have two insightful comments.

1. That man is a hobo, not an iPhone customer.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know.

Quote:

2. Those glass staircases are created for one purpose only: to look up girls skirts.

</insightful comments>

Nah, I tried it, it doesn't work.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If anything I've read that was silly recently, this is it.

Just how could installing "regular" stairs in a few stores lower prices?

You know what a budget is?

Sure they look cool and they fit with Steve's current glass craze, but come'on. In the end it's Mac users who end up paying more for their toys.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

You know what a budget is?

Sure they look cool and they fit with Steve's current glass craze, but come'on. In the end it's Mac users who end up paying more for their toys.

So you think that a few hundred thou' if that's as much as it would cost over "regular" stairs, spent across the world, would change the pricing on the millions of computers, or tens of millions of iPods Apple sells each year? So that a $24 billion dollar company would even notice that expense?

You're just joking, right?

Right?
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wopwop View Post

Right, that's why I said "Apple's other NYC store, on 5th avenue!"

I dunno, I think glass staircases are pretty cool whether spiral or not.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

You're just joking, right?

Maybe he doesn't understand the difference between thousands, millions, and billions.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    I work just a couple blocks away from the Fifth Avenue store and have walked their pretty staircase many times. They only bust out the carpet strips when it's raining or snowing outside.

I wonder if the new 14th Street store will also get one of those cool all-glass elevators like they have at Fifth Avenue.