Briefly: iPhone Software version 1.1.2 due Friday

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple sometime tomorrow afternoon is expected unleash the fourth software update for the iPhone since the handset made its U.S. debut back on June 29th.

The new version, to be released as iPhone Software version 1.1.2, will offer full support for the UK and German versions of the handset due to go on sale at 6:02 p.m. local time Friday, in addition a French model due later this month.

iPhone Software 1.1.2 will also reportedly pack support for dozens of other foreign languages and include various localized keyboard layouts, complete with accented characters and so forth.

European iPhone customers are likely to be the first to receive the update as part of their respective iPhone launches on Friday -- the software will reportedly come preloaded on the UK and German versions of the handsets.

Meanwhile, U.S. customers should expect the software to turn up via iTunes shortly thereafter.

iPhone Software 1.1.2 will be the fourth widespread iPhone software update, following version 1.1.1, which was released in late September. Versions 1.0.2 and 1.0.1 were released in August and July, respectively.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    iBrick coming near to u r iPhone soon do not update if using unlocked iPhone

kasper joined Nov 1997, 10 years on AI!, congrats ...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
  • Reply 3 of 16
    steste Posts: 119member
    Will this update have anything new/useful for the average U.S. customer? I mean, the languages are all well and good for European customers, but I don't have much need for umlauts on a daily basis.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I just figured out why the iPhone goes on sale at 6:02 in the UK. So funny, I love it.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Darth Vader Scream: Nooooooooooooooo!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    A new update for European iPhones - but the ones going on sale will be preloaded with it. So who needs it then? Could it be it is intended for all those European iPhones already in use? Surely Apple wouldn't do something like that - brick all the iPhones already in use in Europe?

What happens when such users install the update, do they get a screen that says 'Apple, we are wankers and we think you are too. Enjoy your new paperweight'?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    My only suggestion is stop buying Apple products - I have.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Buy a iPhone if you want iPhone features.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Also sounds like 1.1.2 will kill jailbreak.

UK iPhone sports new v1.1.2 firmware ahead of US release - kills jailbreak

Get used to the idea that every new version of the iPhone OS will kill jailbreak. Jailbreak works by exploiting security holes on the iPhone. Do you honestly expect Apple to leave security holes open just so a minority of people can hack into their phones?

This is the price you pay when you use hacks. Wait a few weeks after release, and there will be a new jailbreak based on a new security exploit that Apple will later patch.

And the cycle goes on?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Hey Apple,

Is there a To Do application in my iPhone future? I'm not getting any younger...
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I expect that Apple will break custom ringtones via iToner as well (at least that's the word on the street). Just friggin' beautiful.

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 12 of 16
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    i really wonder how many guys with hacked phones will insist on putting this totally pointless upgrade on their iphones this time...

german, russian, usbek, pashtun.... yeah, those language packs are worth the risk....
  • Reply 13 of 16
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

I just figured out why the iPhone goes on sale at 6:02 in the UK. So funny, I love it.

Do Tell!
  • Reply 14 of 16
    As brilliant as the iPhone is, it remains more form over function. Apple needs to put some serious resources into correcting its most glaring problems, namely:

Support for Exchange mail, not just imap.

Multiple select mails so I can delete more than one at a time.

Copy and paste.

Forward SMS messages.

Offline games!!! Believe it or not, there are places where there is no carrier signal (yes, even on AT&T's network) or no open WiFi.

For all the work engineers have put into making it simple, I find I have more taps to get to key functions than I do on my Treo. This shouldn't be the case with Apple products.

What gives? Too much attention being paid to protecting patents and profits maybe?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    steste Posts: 119member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Do Tell!

Okay, I'll bite. Because U.K. service is provided by O2, of course.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

i really wonder how many guys with hacked phones will insist on putting this totally pointless upgrade on their iphones this time...

german, russian, usbek, pashtun.... yeah, those language packs are worth the risk....

What exactly are you saying here? It makes no sense.