Adobe Flash Performance in Mac OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The situation in Tiger: Flash performance was poor. On all computers I tested (MacBook, MacBook Pro, iBook 12", iBook 14"), playing a YouTube video would make the fans spin up fairly quickly. While playing Flash games setting the graphic quality to low was highly recommended. Sometimes even reading AppleInsider would make the fans go wild, because of a Flash-based advertisement on the site.

Flash version was 9.0.47.

The situation in Leopard: No more spinning fans. YouTube remains calm. Web-browsing becomes a calmer experience in general. Flash games seem more fluent. But then... Some videos, some games, for no apparent reason, still seem to get my CPUs to 100%. For an example, try this link: http://www.zefrank.com/zesblog/archi...trike_day.html.

Flash version is 9.0.47.

All tests done in Safari.

What is your experience with Flash?

Any browsers or Flash updates that are recommended?

I think this entire Flash thing stinks, they need to get that fixed on the Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ak1808 View Post

What is your experience with Flash?

Very bad on the Mac.

Quote:

I think this entire Flash thing stinks, they need to get that fixed on the Mac.

I am afraid it is not on Apple's hands only to fix it. People often blame Adobe for that. But from what you describe, Apple has its share too.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Sometimes I think Flash is terrible on the Mac but overall, I think it's ok. Considering how much Flash content works well, the odd site or so that uses too much CPU or crashes the browser isn't enough for me to say it's bad. However, it would be nice if performance and stability problems were sorted. I don't know why Adobe don't open source their Flash decoder so that 3rd parties like Apple can make sure the plugins are stable and optimized. This would mean better Linux support too and surely more people willing to use Flash, which is good for them.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Sometimes I think Flash is terrible on the Mac but overall, I think it's ok. Considering how much Flash content works well, the odd site or so that uses too much CPU or crashes the browser isn't enough for me to say it's bad.

This is probably true on Intel Macs, but on PowerPC and especially G4, ouch! \
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

For an example, try this link: http://www.zefrank.com/zesblog/archi...trike_day.html.

Flash version is 9.0.47.

This video worked without a hitch and no extra whirling fans on my dual 2.7 G5 Powermac (they weren't audible). And I was even ripping a cd in iTunes at the same time !

There's also 4 Gig ram inside, maybe that helps too ...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ak1808ak1808 Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theGAR View Post

This video worked without a hitch and no extra whirling fans on my dual 2.7 G5 Powermac (they weren't audible). And I was even ripping a cd in iTunes at the same time !

There's also 4 Gig ram inside, maybe that helps too ...

I think now you are being sarcastic
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Actually, on a MBP C2D, that site plays fine and uses far less than 100% CPU, more like 15-20%

w00t!