Upgrade Help Needed - Simple Question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've only been a Mac user for a little over a year now, so this is probably a very easy question.

I have Leopard ready for an upgrade.

I've backed up my system using Super Duper.

I'd like to let Leopard do a clean (erase) install. I don't care if my programs are no longer installed. I can reinstall them.

However, I DO care if these files are not transfered to Leopard:

1. iTunes Library

2. iPhoto

3. iWeb stuff

4. One directory on my desktop, MickWorx (quick spot to store stuff)

What stuff do I need to drag from my backup drive to my freshly installed Leopard system in order to keep my important stuff?

Here's a screen shot of what my backup drive looks like:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    For iPhoto... unless you have changed the default settings for where stuff is stored... in YOUR user, in the Pictures folder is another folder called "iPhoto library" ... just drag that to your new setup.

For iTunes... same thing... in your user, in the Music folder, should be a folder called "iTunes" ... drag that to your new setup.

iWeb... i'm not sure, but it's probably similar.

as for the folder on your desktop... .just drag the backed up one to your new setup.

Most applications can be restored by just dragging the backup of the app to the "new" Applications folder... although you won't retain any preferences and such.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    just backup your user folder... that will cover your data...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debenm View Post

just backup your user folder... that will cover your data...

And then, just drag it to the user folder on Leopard?

That's the hard part to get used to. With Windows, there was a lot more too it.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    I was in the same boat you are in before I installed Leopard.

I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my entire HD (I have a Mac mini) to an external HD.

I then wiped the mini's internal drive clean using Disc Utility.

After that, I popped in the Leopard Upgrade disc and told it to Migrate all of my files to Leopard when it installs. And so it transfered all my apps, settings, mail, itunes, iphoto, I mean everything.

I have had no (none, zip, nada ) problems as of yet and have had it installed for over a week.

It is the snappiest OS i've ever had, and I Love it!

Just my two cents in this.

Parker
  • Reply 5 of 5
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smee View Post

I was in the same boat you are in before I installed Leopard.

I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my entire HD (I have a Mac mini) to an external HD.

I then wiped the mini's internal drive clean using Disc Utility.

After that, I popped in the Leopard Upgrade disc and told it to Migrate all of my files to Leopard when it installs. And so it transfered all my apps, settings, mail, itunes, iphoto, I mean everything.

I have had no (none, zip, nada ) problems as of yet and have had it installed for over a week.

It is the snappiest OS i've ever had, and I Love it!

Just my two cents in this.

Parker

OK. I'll try it this weekend. I hate to lose my iTunes. I'm sure it'll work just fine.

THANKS EVERYONE!