iPod touch software 1.1.2 adds calendar functions

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Arriving alongside iPhone software version 1.1.2 on Thursday evening was iPod touch software version 1.1.2, which adds new calendar functionality to the touch-screen media players.

The 158MB update began turning up via iTunes for some iPod touch users in the late evening hours, but is also available as a raw download for those users who don't mind triggering the install manually.

Thus far, one of the only visible features delivered by the update appears to be the ability to add and edit calendar events through the Touch's calendar application. Although these capabilities had long been available to iPhone users, Apple omitted them from the initial version of the Touch software presumably to help differentiate the player from the iPhone.

For his part, however, Apple chief executive Steve Jobs in a recent email response to a customer chalked the absence of the functions up to an oversight, calling it a "bug."

"The inability to edit and add calendar events is a bug that will be fixed in a future software update," he said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    Was the omission of mail also a "bug"? Put mail on there and the touch is an awesome machine.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    That is all it needed for me. Mail can be accessed by using safari.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    I'd sell my 5G right now and get an iPod touch if it could do mail. For realz.

Though I'd rather have a larger device without the phone of the iPhone... yes. I'm talking about a new newton.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    Just where is the 64GB version now?
  • Reply 5 of 65
    Give me mail and I'll buy one. Make it a fully-Exchange compatible device, and my company will buy hundreds.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guest View Post

Just where is the 64GB version now?

It's in 2010. Unless you want a phone that costs $1000, get over yourself.

-Clive
  • Reply 7 of 65
    I've downloaded the raw update, now how do I trigger a manual update? I double clicked the file and it switches to itunes, then nothing????

Update:

Okay, I manually downloaded the ipsw zip file, added it to ~/Library/iTunes in the iPhone updates folder. Then I did option-update to select it. So if you're seeing that 1.1.1 is still the current version, you can do your upgrade this way.
  • Reply 8 of 65
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Just calendar editing, and only for those events you add with the Touch?

Ho hum.

This is ridiculous. Give us what we want - google maps, mail, etc. If Apple did this, the hacker motivation would be lessened considerably.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinch13 View Post

I'd sell my 5G right now and get an iPod touch if it could do mail. For realz.

Though I'd rather have a larger device without the phone of the iPhone... yes. I'm talking about a new newton.

Maxink is right. As far as I know, all ISP's have their own version of Web Mail. It may not be as convenient, but it does work well.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

I've downloaded the raw update, now how do I trigger a manual update? I double clicked the file and it switches to itunes, then nothing????

Same thing here... perhaps we're missing something. Help please?
  • Reply 11 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umijin View Post

Just calendar editing, and only for those events you add with the Touch?

Ho hum.

This is ridiculous. Give us what we want - google maps, mail, etc. If Apple did this, the hacker motivation would be lessened considerably.

Do you have one of these things? A lot of it can be accessed through Safari when using a WiFi spot.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Do you have one of these things? A lot of it can be accessed through Safari when using a WiFi spot.

Exactly. I think using Safari to access e-mail is just fine. If the touch could be online all the time, I would want Mail.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    The other thing about Google Maps is that it's now in Google's ballpark, I would imagine. Once the SDK comes out, Google could offer it separately from Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beingnickb View Post

Exactly. I think using Safari to access e-mail is just fine. If the touch could be online all the time, I would want Mail.

My laptop can't be online all the time, and I'm happy it has Mail.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    Quote:

[Oh no - not another melgross/umijin flame war... :-) ]

Yes, I have one.

Maps through Safari on the Touch is not so great. I'd rather do it with the app.

Yes, many mail apps have web app versions (gmail, windoze live) - but even their mobile versions leave something to be desired. [e.g. put the delete message button at the top of the window, not the bottom.] It's also nice to be able to read your email without having to be linked up to a WiFi node. I often do this to check directions or a download map jpg.

What I would really, really like is to be able to open a pdf file stored on my Touch to view at any time. But this isn't even available for the iPhone AFAIK.
  • Reply 16 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umijin View Post

[Oh no - not another melgross/umijin flame war... :-) ]

Yes, I have one.

Maps through Safari on the Touch is not so great. I'd rather do it with the app.

Yes, many mail apps have web app versions (gmail, windoze live) - but even their mobile versions leave something to be desired. [e.g. put the delete message button at the top of the window, not the bottom.] It's also nice to be able to read your email without having to be linked up to a WiFi node. I often do this to check directions or a download map jpg.

What I would really, really like is to be able to open a pdf file stored on my Touch to view at any time. But this isn't even available for the iPhone AFAIK.

No flame war.

The iTouch isn't really supposed to be the communication device the phone is. What you do get is pretty good, considering it is an iPod.

It must properly be compared to the other digital music/video players out there, such as the new Zunes, rather than to the iPhone.

If you want what essentially an iPhone, then get one, that's its purpose.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    for those not against jailbreaking your touch, getting the iphone apps on there is relatively simple. I have google maps and mail on my touch, although I didn't install notes, stocks, or weather, I hear they work as well.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Unfortunately, web-based e-mail is not exactly a stunning experience on the touch.

In addition to a seeming inability to retain login cookies (in my case on gmail) and limitations to the ability to zoom into very dense pages (again such as gmail), using web-based mail is a serious pain on the touch. Do-able, but a pain.

An optimized mail client (gee, like on the iPhone) to which I could sync pop-mail would be wonderful. I tend to think that it will show up either from Apple (once they get the stick out of their butt vis-a-vis AT&T sycophancy) or from a 3rd party developer after Feb.

We'll see.

just realized that the cookie issue came up when I was at the Apple store trying to demo my screen issue (week 37) with a file I had in gmail. Didn't want to click 'remember me'. Still, gmail on the touch is not exactly heaven.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

If the touch could be online all the time, I would want Mail.

I would think the exact opposite of that! If it was online all the time, webmail would be a viable alternative (but still not a good one). But since the touch is not online all the time, that is the exact reason you need an e-mail client that can download your e-mail for offline viewing and composing. Give me an e-mail client with IMAP and you'd have a winner!
  • Reply 20 of 65
    Quote:

No flame war.

The iTouch isn't really supposed to be the communication device the phone is. What you do get is pretty good, considering it is an iPod.

It must properly be compared to the other digital music/video players out there, such as the new Zunes, rather than to the iPhone.

If you want what essentially an iPhone, then get one, that's its purpose.

Sorry Mel - I can't disagree more with your last sentence or the general gist of your post.

It's not a phone. But it IS an internet device. So except to be mean-spirited, Apple has no reason to exclude these NON-PHONE functions.

It is a pretty good iPod - I agree there. But why provide internet or text entry functions if the capabilities (applications) are half-assed?

Even if there was no iPhone for comparison, people would be saying 'hey, why can't I store files locally, why can't i install a third party app to do XX?'. This is the gist of the problem many of us have.

It's not up to Apple to tell us what we want out of our iPods. And to sell a wonderful device with many capabilities that are untapped (and no legit way to tap them -YET ) really makes no sense.

BTW, I don't want the iPHONE because GSM is inadequate and the iPhone will never appear in JAPAN (where I live) until it uses a modern radio.

Just because you are happy with the Touch and everything Apple, doesn't mean the rest of us are.