Adobe says Photoshop Express beta due by year's end

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Adobe has confirmed it will make a beta version of its online Photshop Express software available before the end of the year, with a finalized version penciled in for availability sometime in 2008.

Photoshop Express will be an online version of the San Jose, Calif.-based company's industry standard image editing software, Photoshop.

The software, reports Macworld UK, will run under existing web browsers, letting users perform basic image adjustments, such as red-eye removal, cropping, colour adjustment and image retouching.

Adobe is introducing limited functionality Photoshop Express as part of its move to providing software as a service. Company chief executive Bruce Chizen has recently vouched his belief that online software will become the de facto standard for software distribution within the next decade.

Adobe presently plans to license Photoshop Express to photo-oriented website including Shutterfly and Photobucket.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Adobe has confirmed it will make a beta version of its online Photshop Express software available before the end of the year, with a finalized version penciled in for availability sometime in 2008.

Hmmm, what about Photoshop Elements first, Adobe?

Quote:

Company chief executive Bruce Chizen has recently vouched his belief that online software will become the de facto standard for software distribution within the next decade.

I disagree, I don't know why some people think that internet based software is going to take over. If my internet goes out so do my apps? Nah, I'll stick to offline software.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:

Photoshop Express will be an online version of the San Jose, Calif.-based company's industry standard image editing software, Photoshop.

The software, reports Macworld UK, will run under existing web browsers, letting users perform basic image adjustments, such as red-eye removal, cropping, colour adjustment and image retouching.

Too late, Adobe!

http://www.picnik.com/

Free! No registration required.

* Fix your photos in just one click

* Use advanced controls to fine-tune your results

* Crop, resize, and rotate in real-time

* Tons of special effects, from artsy to fun

* Astoundingly fast, right in your browser

* Awesome fonts and top-quality type tool

* Basketfulls of shapes from hand-picked designers

* Works on Mac, Windows, and Linux

* No download required, nothing to install

Works with: facebook, flikr, webshots, picasa, photobucket...

Looks and works very very nicely too. Great job. Even for nice real-time text placement, and effects. Snazzy.

~ CB
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Please remove this mistake...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:

Company chief executive Bruce Chizen has recently vouched his belief that online software will become the de facto standard for software distribution within the next decade.

Goodbye Adobe, hello open source! Software as an online service will never fly...

Quote:

Adobe presently plans to license Photoshop Express to photo-oriented website including Shutterfly and Photobucket.

This might be nice for those websites, provided that users don't have to pay extra for the service. If they do, it'll bomb. I think computer users everywhere are spending enough for software these days. Honestly, greed is gonna be the end of companies like Microsoft and Adobe, who levy a heavy tax for their software. Open source alternatives might be a little ways off of providing quite the level of amenities that their software currently supplies, and some of the interfaces are still being worked out, but give it time.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Hmmm, what about Photoshop Elements first, Adobe?

I disagree, I don't know why some people think that internet based software is going to take over. If my internet goes out so do my apps? Nah, I'll stick to offline software.

Maybe for casual use, but I don't see how power users like myself are going to open up a 100 gig Photoshop Extended file and use the layers and 3D features inside of a browser. Good Luck.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Pixelmator baby, Adobe could use some lessons on UI from these guys.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    another vote for Pixelmator! and its cheaper than elements!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Adobe chief executive Bruce Chizen has recently vouched his belief that online software will become the de facto standard for software distribution within the next decade.

Big problems with that one Bruce.

1. I have to trust you with my private work which may be subject to NDA.

2. I have to manipulate large images inside a browser.

3. I have to have a fast internet connection to get any work done.

Sorry, that's just not acceptable.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Between the dozens of consumer-grade demo-ware that comes on every PC and iPhoto on every Mac, plus the proprietary versions that a few camera companies bundle with each purchase, I gotta question Adobe's idea of putting a lot of costly resources into a market that others will continue to hack away at.

What's the purpose? Get people to the site to "edit" pictures and them force them to watch a pop-up CS v.X ad whenever they access a menu or change tools?

But the likely good news: if they put an full version of "Acrobat Pro" online it'll feel just as fast as if you were running it locally.

As for all applications being on the net in 10 years, I wish I had a sawbuck for every consultant & salesman that showed up back in the 90s and told us that in three years, all stores would be gone because all business would be done over the internet.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Online certainly won't be for everyone, but it may be a viable option for light use, and wouldn't require you to install another program. Obviously, it's not going to be for pro use.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    picnik.com - nice app, you'll see it cited on Adobe staff blogs as a great demonstration of their Flex technology :-)

"online software will become the de facto standard for software distribution within the next decade"

Those of you talking about the problems with 10Mb images, etc, not trusting Adobe with your data, etc, are missing the point.

He's talking about software distribution, not on-line applications a la Google. Google want your data to mine. Adobe want you

to pay for a service. (Express is basically an exercise in Photoshop branding).

You need to put some pieces together - for instance, Adobe AIR, which has been created to allow x-platform web deployed apps

(Flash+WebKit) to run outside the browser, and with local storage / OS integration.

Basically, it's their equivalent to Java webstart, but from where I'm sitting it looks like the first steps to Adobe building

their own desktop platform, based around the idea of web delivered software.

Unlike Flash (which is a plug-in and therefore kept tight) they can add whatever they need to into AIR to turn it into the

framework to support Creative Suite (much like Apple's apps drive Cocoa).

The endgame for Adobe is for Creative Suite to become a $15-30 a month service, that designers won't think twice about paying,

rather than the big ticket sale/upgrade cycle that it is now.