xp on a macbook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am a life long PC user. But that will soon change. I've decided its time to switch over to a Mac

Leopard seems like it will be less painful for people like me.

My question is if I decided to use Boot camp or Parallel to install XP do I need to purchase a new copy just for the product key? I have the XP disk that came with my laptop as well as both x32 and x64 bit upgrade disks for Vista.

Thanks

J

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    If you are still using your old laptop or if you sell your laptop by right you should get a new copy of WinXP2 Pro. When you buy your Mac an Apple reseller may sell you OEM WinXP2Pro for your Mac Bootcamp/Parallels.

My 2 cents.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Legally speaking yeah... you need a new license. OTOH, as long as it's not one of those OS restore only discs, you should be fine.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

Legally speaking yeah... you need a new license. OTOH, as long as it's not one of those OS restore only discs, you should be fine.

Why is there a difference? I beleive the disk is a restore disk. Only the Vista upgrades are not.

Thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ok....did some googling and found the answer about why OEM would not work in this case.

Am I getting this right, the OEM disk I have will only work on the laptop it came with. So even if I went to an Apple store they can't sell me a new licence for that disk, I'd have to buy a whole new one?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Technically yes. This is why OEM Windows is bad, bad, bad. Just plain evil.

You should just buy full version Windows XP2 Pro since this will last you through 2008, 2009, 2010. [Unless Vista starts to really kick in with the upgrades in 2008, which I kinda doubt].

This full version you should still check activation rules, etc. etc. bollocks.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Bundled OEM disks are atached to your specific computer... may be by model, brand, serial #... ect. A Newegg bought OEM should be fine. Restore disks basically have an image of the hard disk in its original state. Whenever you reinstall, all it does is restore that image.