Transmit 2 is out [now version 2.3!]

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Panic just released Transmit 2 today. This has been my one and only favorite FTP for many years (since the time it was still called "Transit", without the "m"). Go <a href="http://www.panic.com/transit/"; target="_blank">download it now!</a>.

These are the the observations and thoughts I posted on VersionTracker:

[quote]I've used Transmit exclusively for many years and even paid for it twice. Transmit 2 looks even better than 1.7b2. However, the Cocoa interface seems a lot more sluggish, especially resizing the download window (on a G3 iBook/500/320). I prefer the old icon, but that doesn't matter. Considering how good 1.7b2 was, I wonder whether Transmit 2 is worth the $17 upgrade price. I guess I'll decide in 15 days.<hr></blockquote>

What a great 24 hours this has been with (1) Epson releasing drivers for my EPL-5700i laser, (2) Glu releasing WeatherPop 1.6.1 and (3) Panic releasing Transmit 2!

Escher

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Yes!!

Downloading now...

*crosses fingers, hoping new version will work behind firewall*
  • Reply 2 of 14
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Yes!!

Downloading now...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Gah, so it's you slowing Panic's server to a crawl.

I like the new icon. Brum brum!

Hmm, not only is the new interface a lot slower, Escher, but the main panel is pretty much identical to the original, and yet it takes up so much more space!

[ 10-23-2002: Message edited by: Belle ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 14
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>Hmm, not only is the new interface a lot slower, Escher, but the main panel is pretty much identical to the original, and yet it takes up so much more space!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, just the more reason I'll wait. I have the previous registered version so there's no rush...it is still the best FTP out there for the Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I helped beta test this bad boy, and I am glad to see it released!

Download this! Now! Go! Do it, man! :0)
  • Reply 5 of 14

<strong>Hmm, not only is the new interface a lot slower, Escher, but the main panel is pretty much identical to the original, and yet it takes up so much more space!</strong><hr></blockquote>Slower, eh, maybe for you. I don't see it any slower. At least now it properly menutasks.

Bigger? Eh, make a few adjustments first.

• Reply 6 of 14
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member

<strong>Hmm, not only is the new interface a lot slower, Escher, but the main panel is pretty much identical to the original, and yet it takes up so much more space!</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's the beauty of Aqua for you, Belle. On the rare occasions I still start up in OS 9, I'm blown away by how spacious my iBook's 1024x768 screen really is. Transmit 2's interface feels as sluggish as the Finder felt in Mac OS X 10.0.

Now I will have to get a new PowerMac and giant LCD to run Transmit 2. Until then I'll stick with 1.7b2.

Escher
  • Reply 7 of 14
    hey, folks, Transmit 2 *really* isn't that much bigger than 1.7.

See?

• Reply 8 of 14
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member

<strong>hey, folks, Transmit 2 *really* isn't that much bigger than 1.7.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'll have to give the thing a tweak, I guess.

How about doing the same with the standard two-pane window and toolbar, though?
  • Reply 9 of 14

<strong>hey, folks, Transmit 2 *really* isn't that much bigger than 1.7.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh, I've accepted the larger interface in OS X. What I can't accept on this machine is Transmit 2 that is as poky and slow as iCal. I really didn't expect my May 2001 iBook to become outdated by new software so quickly.

Escher
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Im using Transmit 2 now and its working great. Im able to connect to a server that I would usually have to restart into 9 to use. I love my Jag. its working great and so's Transmit.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

<strong>

Oh, I've accepted the larger interface in OS X. What I can't accept on this machine is Transmit 2 that is as poky and slow as iCal. I really didn't expect my May 2001 iBook to become outdated by new software so quickly.

Escher</strong><hr></blockquote>

...Snappy as I could want on my 233MHz iMac (considering my 56k connection.)

And, being as I am a toolbar nazi, it is satisfying in other ways as well.

Gotta love Cocoa.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>...Snappy as I could want on my 233MHz iMac (considering my 56k connection.)</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's actually the interface, mostly window-resizing, that I thought was sluggish. No complaints about transfer speed at all. After using T2 a bit more extensively, I sent Panic my $17 upgrade fee without a second thought.

Escher
  • Reply 13 of 14
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Unfortunately, it doesn't have SCP support.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Transmit is now up to version 2.3. <a href="http://www.panic.com/transmit/[/url"; target="_blank">Download it now!</a> According to MacMinute:

"Version 2.3 improves Rendezvous support, fixes a rare problem that prevented some users from uploading, adds support for Strato FTP servers, includes a much-requested preference that allows the user to define what Transmit does when a file is double clicked, and more."

The double-click preference is an especially welcome fix in my book. (In 2.2, double-clicking would both upload and edit, which was quite impractical. Now I can set it just to upload, or edit.)

Go Panic!

Escher