Leopard on a G4 PowerBook

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is anyone running Leopard on a 1.5ghz G4 PowerBook? How does it run faster or slower than Tiger? Should I upgrade now or wait till the first patch? My PB has 1gb of ram and a 128mb video card and I use it for surfing and light photo editing no Garage Band or Illustrator CS3 the bigest thing I use is Photoshop CS and Office 2004.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    You should be well off with Leopard,

Leopard will run alot faster than Tiger on your powerbook, especially since you've got 1GB of RAM, all of your programs will work speedy too.

I haven't yet experienced any bugs, so I would just upgrade now.

But make sure you do a Fresh install.

Back up everything from your laptop (including the OS), you can use Carbon Copy Cloner to do it.

Then freshly install leopard onto the laptop and have it migrate all your files from Tiger to Leopard.

That's what I did, and have yet to see any bugs.

Just my two cents,

Parker
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Excellent to hear thank you. I have a full backup that is no problem so it looks like I will purchase Leopard come payday.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TekMate View Post

Excellent to hear thank you. I have a full backup that is no problem so it looks like I will purchase Leopard come payday.

Cool!

When you get it, let me know how the install goes, and if you've got any questions just let me know.

I'm on the forums every day
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I'm running Leo on a 1.5 G4 PowerBook with only 512MB RAM. No problems at all. And it SEEMS snappier than Tiger, but I've made no actual measured tests
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Thanks guys.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I have tryed Leopard on my Rev A 12" Powerbook (640MB Ram, 867MHz and no Core Image capable graphics card). I've tried it on a external 4200rpm harddrive, and it ran really well! Even quicklook and this coverart finder-animation works fast and well.

I will probably install it on my powerbook as soon as I have time, since I need it for work now.

But Leopard will definitely run very well on your Powerbook.