xcode 3.0

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
ok so i have leopard and xcode 3.0 and i'm trying to get into programing in cocoa. for the record, i don't really have any coding experience, but i looked around online and found some tutorials, and documentation to help me learn. anyways, i wanted to try to make a simple text editing program in cocoa so i opened up the .nib file and added an NSTextView to the window, clicked build and go, and i could type, there was spell check, i could undo, etc. but i went up to the format bar and i could not click on the fonts pallet, i could only select the show colors. however, if i added a tool bar, i could click on the fonts icon there and the pallet would show up. what gives?

also, what is the best way to go about learning this stuff (cocoa, core data, etc.) in general? i think its fun to able to make apps if not as freeware, but just for personal sake.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

ok so i have leopard and xcode 3.0 and i'm trying to get into programing in cocoa. for the record, i don't really have any coding experience, but i looked around online and found some tutorials, and documentation to help me learn. anyways, i wanted to try to make a simple text editing program in cocoa so i opened up the .nib file and added an NSTextView to the window, clicked build and go, and i could type, there was spell check, i could undo, etc. but i went up to the format bar and i could not click on the fonts pallet, i could only select the show colors. however, if i added a tool bar, i could click on the fonts icon there and the pallet would show up. what gives?

also, what is the best way to go about learning this stuff (cocoa, core data, etc.) in general? i think its fun to able to make apps if not as freeware, but just for personal sake.

I'd recommend a book - Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X by (cowboy hat wearing) Aaron Hillegass.

If you have not done *any* programming, you might want to read some stuff on C programming to get you started with the concepts.

C.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    thanks. but do you know anything about why i cant get the show fonts menu to work?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    The reason you can't get it to work is because you don't know how to program. "Self taught" means you actually need to teach yourself. Buy the book, run through the chapters and do the examples.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

also, what is the best way to go about learning this stuff

Unfortunately there is no shortcut. Language syntax can be learned in a day but APIs take much longer.

The only way to learn an API is to spend hundreds of hours programming to it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Unfortunately there is no shortcut. Language syntax can be learned in a day but APIs take much longer.

The only way to learn an API is to spend hundreds of hours programming to it.

thanks for the advice instead of just shooting my head off.