Latest Mac OS X 10.5.1 build fixes Finder data loss issue

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Inc. on Monday continued to pound away at its first maintenance and security update to the recently released Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system, issuing a new test build to developers that fixes the much publicized Finder data loss issue.

People familiar with the ongoing testing process for Mac OS X 10.5.1 Update say the new build, labeled Mac OS X 10.5.1 build 9B16, was accompanied by a note to developers that specifically mentions a Finder-related fix affecting files that are moved between directories.

It was widely reported earlier this month that Leopard's Finder is affected by a glaring bug in its directory-moving code, which could lead to horrendous data loss if a destination volume disappears while a move operation is in progress.

Those people familiar with pre-release builds of Mac OS X 10.5.1 also added that the software update will deliver an enhancement to Leopard that will allow Apple's Software Update and installer applications to make revisions to application files which may have been moved outside their designated "Applications" directory on Leopard volumes.

As was the case with build 9B13, which was released for private testing last Monday, Apple is reportedly asking that its developers test the latest build broadly, paying particular attention to Time Machine, Mail, iCal, Back To My Mac, Bonjour, AirPort, gaming graphics, networking and the Finder.

Mac OS X 10.5.1 is expected to be released as a free update within a few weeks' time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    Quote:

Those people familiar with pre-release builds of Mac OS X 10.5.1 also added that the software update will deliver an enhancement to Leopard that will allow Apple's Software Update and installer applications to make revisions to application files which may have been moved outside their designated "Applications" directory on Leopard volumes.

This is the best news I've heard in a long time. Imagine being able to put applications where you want them. Who thought of such a crazy idea?
  • Reply 2 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

This is the best news I've heard in a long time. Imagine being able to put applications where you want them. Who thought of such a crazy idea?

And somebody will still bitch because they "decided" to put Safari in a subfolder nested 15 levels deep and the "enhanced" Software Update can't find it.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

And somebody will still bitch because they "decided" to put Safari in a subfolder nested 15 levels deep and the "enhanced" Software Update can't find it.

Nice thing about Unix is the terminal

find / -name "Safari.app" -print

if it is on the harddrive it'll find it.

m
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

m

And then they'll complain that it didn't get updated even though they renamed it...
  • Reply 5 of 40
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

I still don't understand why people would rather organize their applications into separate folders in the Finder rather than just putting folders with links to applications in them onto the dock?

I mean, isn't a pain to have to launch Finder and navigate to different folders to launch applications all the time? As opposed to just clicking and holding a labeled dock folder, scrolling to the application you want to launch, and selecting it?
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I still don't understand why people would rather organize their applications into separate folders in the Finder rather than just putting folders with links to applications in them onto the dock?

I mean, isn't a pain to have to launch Finder and navigate to different folders to launch applications all the time? As opposed to just clicking and holding a labeled dock folder, scrolling to the application you want to launch, and selecting it?

Don't try to understand them. Just know that there are some weirdos out there.

These people either a) don't share a computer with anyone else (have more than one account) where putting applications in the Application matters if access to those applications is important to all account, b) have some odd fetish of manually organizing things on their computer and prefer navigating their hard drive and hunt wabbits...errr, apps instead of putting the often-used ones in the Dock and using Spotlight to find the other ones or simply opening the Applications folder where apps *should* be. I mean, why not? Is it a crazy idea to keep apps in the Applications folder?

While I agree that the ability to update apps that aren't found in the Applications folder should have existed in 10.0, I find people that micro-manage their apps and documents a bit crazy. Humans are mostly irrational. But some are ridiculously irrational and it's almost disturbing.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    I'd be happy if they fixed the CD/DVD frimware problem that has rendered my 17" laptop useless to me.

Reads cd's and music dvd's just fine, but can't read any of the data DVD's i've burned. On the Apple Discussion forums, this seams to be a common big problem, so i'm not alone.

FYI, Leopard on a 1ghz 17", 1gig ram, zero'd drive-fresh install... is slower then Tiger, still usable, but sags quite a bit.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Don't try to understand them. Just know that there are some weirdos out there.

Actually, I kinda blame Apple for this situation.

I mean, I'm a fairly advanced user and so I know about symbolic links and whatnot. I don't like using Finder to launch apps, but then I also don't like having 100 applications on my dock, each of which has an icon that's about 10x10 pixels large so that they can all fit on the screen (like my wife does). So I know well enough to create folders with symbolic links in them, and then drag them to the dock as a way to organize. But this isn't something well documented or intuitive to the average Mac user.

What would be nice is if Apple had something which automated this application organization process (aside from using Spotlight to search for apps -- which isn't the best way either if you don't want to use a keyboard just to launch an app).

Maybe a way to select dock icons and create a folder for them? Or even just a way to create a dock folder from the dock itself so that you can manually drag and drop dock icons into it.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:

I agree 100%. I keep all apps in the Applications folder so I can find the actual app file if I need to. I keep a folder on the Dock with links nested by function. It works great in Tiger (Stacks screws that up though).
  • Reply 10 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Maybe a way to select dock icons and create a folder for them? Or even just a way to create a dock folder from the dock itself so that you can manually drag and drop dock icons into it.

You can drag your Applications Folder to the dock.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:

You can drag your Applications Folder to the dock.

Really? Could you please give me step by step instruction on how to do this? This must be simple, but I've heard this over and over and every time I drag my Applications folder to the Dock it goes *POOF*! Is there some kind of key+drag combination that I have to do?
  • Reply 12 of 40
    you really need to discover quicksilver or launchbar for application launching.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Really? Could you please give me step by step instruction on how to do this? This must be simple, but I've heard this over and over and every time I drag my Applications folder to the Dock it goes *POOF*! Is there some kind of key+drag combination that I have to do?

Make sure you drag to the far right side of the Dock, just to the left of the Trash can, on the right of the dividing line. Folders can't "live" on the Applications side.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Don't drag the Applications icon from the sidebar of a Finder window. That's just a shortcut itself. You need to drag the *real* Applications icon located at the root of your hard drive.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    What I loved about NeXTSTEP in Networked environment, at NeXT.

All Applications were installed, on the Server which had the Directory exported into NetInfo and client systems mapped to to folder.

We just dragged a link to the Shelf of WorkspaceManager.app or to the Dock and launched the executable using local resources, but having no applications installed to hog the drive system.

It made for deploying updates much cleaner as well.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

you really need to discover quicksilver or launchbar for application launching.

I've gotten hooked on Spotlight doing this. command-space to open Spotlight, type the first few letters and hit return - its open. Also smart enough so the wor <return> launches 'Microsoft Word'.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

...instead of putting the often-used ones in the Dock and using Spotlight to find the other ones or simply opening the Applications folder where apps *should* be.

Yes, this is the optimal way to launch applications. The problem is that some people are set in their ways and refuse to adapt to the changing technology.

Command+space c o n <enter>... and boom, console is open.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Physguy, the 70s called and they want their interface back...

Put down the command line and slowly step away from your tab-completion.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Don't drag the Applications icon from the sidebar of a Finder window. That's just a shortcut itself. You need to drag the *real* Applications icon located at the root of your hard drive.

Aha! Thanks. THAT'S what I've been doing wrong.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:

m

True, but it'll take awhile. Much faster is:

Code:

locate Safari.app

You'll get all the package contents, so you could then instead do something like:

Code:

locate Safari.app | grep "Safari.app$"

...if you wanted to exclude the superfluous stuff.