Hiding Open Program Windows

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
There is an option in System Preferences that allows you to automatically show/hide the dock. So when you move the cursor over the bottom part of the screen the dock pops up, and when you move the cursor away the dock hides itself. My friend has the same feature for programs. Say she has Adium open, it hides itself and when she moves the cursor to the left of the screen the Adium window appears. I tried fiddling around with Expose but couldn't get this effect. Does anyone know how to enable this, or the program that will allow me to enable this? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I don't know about Adium, but the dock can hide itself. Check out the Dock settings in System Preferences.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j.rucinski View Post

[...] Say she has Adium open, it hides itself and when she moves the cursor to the left of the screen the Adium window appears. [...]

This is a typical feature of IM applications.

Anyway, I think you should not be so shy and ask her for details

- anef
  • Reply 3 of 4
    In Adium>Preferences>Advanced>Contact List, under Window Handling simply choose "On screen edges".

To hide any other frontmost window, simply press command-H; to show the window, either click the icon in the Dock for whatever program the hidden window(s) belongs to, or simply press command-tab and choose.

In the command-tab feature, you can toggle left-right with the keyboard arrow keys, cycle through by pressing or holding tab while holding the command key, or use the mouse while holding command-tab.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by - Ø®£Z - View Post

In Adium>Preferences>Advanced>Contact List, under Window Handling simply choose "On screen edges".

To hide any other frontmost window, simply press command-H; to show the window, either click the icon in the Dock for whatever program the hidden window(s) belongs to, or simply press command-tab and choose.

In the command-tab feature, you can toggle left-right with the keyboard arrow keys, cycle through by pressing or holding tab while holding the command key, or use the mouse while holding command-tab.

Thank you! This is the exact solution I was looking for (in regard to Adium.)