How do I delete limewire?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all.

A long time ago, my son installed limewire on my G4 Imac running tiger. I never use it and do not want it. I always thought it was easy deleting applications off of a mac, but this one does not seem to be easy.

I first just dragged the limewire folder from my applications to the trash, but it still appears to open upon start up.

I did a spotlight search, and 12 limewire items showed up. I tried a few ways of getting rid of them, but now spotlight says I have 24 items, so I must of duplicated them somehow.

This should be simple.....I love my mac, but I admit I do not know how to do many things on it. Thank you for your help.

Frank D.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Well, I was playing with this a bit more, and figured out how to do it. I now type limewire in spotlight and nothing shows up.

I appreciate the help this forum has given me. Thanks,

Frank D.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post

Hello all.

A long time ago, my son installed limewire on my G4 Imac running tiger. I never use it and do not want it. I always thought it was easy deleting applications off of a mac, but this one does not seem to be easy.

I first just dragged the limewire folder from my applications to the trash, but it still appears to open upon start up.

I did a spotlight search, and 12 limewire items showed up. I tried a few ways of getting rid of them, but now spotlight says I have 24 items, so I must of duplicated them somehow.

This should be simple.....I love my mac, but I admit I do not know how to do many things on it. Thank you for your help.

Frank D.

Well, Fank... next time you want to delete an application on the Mac, you should use "Appdelete". It's free and will delete all related files to that program you want to get rid of.

You can find it here ---> http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23149

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Thanks...!

I knew these apps were around for windows...did not know they were needed or even existed for macs......

Frank D.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Thanks...!

I knew these apps were around for windows...did not know they were needed or even existed for macs......

Frank D.

Oh yeah... it is available for Macs and very useful... some applications DO leave trace and files around...

So, enjoy!

• Reply 5 of 7
    I was having the same problems, this post helped me at first. Then I found I had to buy Appdelete to use it very much. And for some reason, I STILL can't delete limewire. There's something wrong with my garbage can, when I place things in it, they delete right away for some reason. And whenever I try to delete Limewire, it says I don't have permission to do so even though I am the administrator... \\:<
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Hello all.

Frank D.

Go to their website and there are instructions how to delete Limewire
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Hey Frank,

besides AppDelete or AppCleaner, of which I have an alias on the desktop, I have also installed AppTrap. It works in the background: in case I somehow forget to use AppCleaner and drag an application, or a folder with an application in it, straight into the Trash, like you did, AppTrap will 'catch' that application and ask if you want to trash all related files too.

Some applications install hundreds of files scattered around your harddisk. Last time I trashed (i.e. uninstalled) Micro$haft Office for Mac AppCleaner caught 1,500 related files to trash!