When will there be a new iPhone??

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
OK. So I'm in the market for a new phone and I would really like to get the iPhone because it has everything and more with what I want and need. But I don't want to buy one and have a newer updated version come out a month or two later. Can any of you guys tell me when a new one will come out?? (Even if it's just a rumor that you read somewhere on the web!)

That'd be really helpful!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 230
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    The current iPhone's hardware design will be industry-leading for years. Apple has the ability to give you a "new iPhone" with each update of the device's firmware. You have to understand that Apple is still rolling-out the current iPhone. It will be rolled-out in a lot more countries before Apple will even think about offering updated hardware.

And what of the updated hardware when it comes? Two new features come immediately to mind. One is likely to be increased memory. That is a no-brainer really. The other is 3G. However, for 3G to be a useful feature, AT&T needs to update its network in the USA. In my state, AT&T 3G is currently available in two cities. I'm guessing that there will be no significant new hardware until 2009, which is when the first iPhone service contracts expire.
  • Reply 2 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

The current iPhone's hardware design will be industry-leading for years. Apple has the ability to give you a "new iPhone" with each update of the device's firmware. You have to understand that Apple is still rolling-out the current iPhone. It will be rolled-out in a lot more countries before Apple will even think about offering updated hardware.

And what of the updated hardware when it comes? Two new features come immediately to mind. One is likely to be increased memory. That is a no-brainer really. The other is 3G. However, for 3G to be a useful feature, AT&T needs to update its network in the USA. In my state, AT&T 3G is currently available in two cities. I'm guessing that there will be no significant new hardware until 2009, which is when the first iPhone service contracts expire.

Thanks man!
  • Reply 3 of 230
    I'm gonna say that Apple will release the details of an iPhone 2.0 in January at the Macworld Expo, and have it go on sale in March. Even though Apple is still releasing the iPhone to other countries around the world, the number one reason people aren't buying the device is because there is not enough storage on it. A new 16GB phone is inevitable, but there is a lot of speculation as to when it will come out. If you look at the cell phone industry, hardware updates often happen faster than once a year. If you look at Apple as a company, they update their hardware about every 10 months or so. I'm guessing that a 16GB iPhone with 3G is right around the corner.
  • Reply 4 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

I'm gonna say that Apple will release the details of an iPhone 2.0 in January at the Macworld Expo, and have it go on sale in March. Even though Apple is still releasing the iPhone to other countries around the world, the number one reason people aren't buying the device is because there is not enough storage on it. A new 16GB phone is inevitable, but there is a lot of speculation as to when it will come out. If you look at the cell phone industry, hardware updates often happen faster than once a year. If you look at Apple as a company, they update their hardware about every 10 months or so. I'm guessing that a 16GB iPhone with 3G is right around the corner.

i don't expect a new iphone until at least september 2008 because you will alienate and disenfranchise a lot of existing customers who have just bought the iphone - think of waht happened when apple cut the price of the iphone by $200 just 3 months after introducing it...
  • Reply 5 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zed888 View Post

i don't expect a new iphone until at least september 2008 because you will alienate and disenfranchise a lot of existing customers who have just bought the iphone - think of waht happened when apple cut the price of the iphone by $200 just 3 months after introducing it...

I agree with ya there, but Apple cut the price and left a big hole to be filled by a better version. I think that Apple is going to be very aggressive with their iPhone. If you go to http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ you'll see that all Apple products get hardware updates about every 200 days or so. A March release would put iPhone 2.0 right in that sweet spot.

I disagree with your use of the word "alienate" ... although a new iPhone would have new hardware capabilities, the general software is going to be very similar if not exactly the same. Think back to when Apple switched to Intel, even though they don't incorporate PowerPC processors into their hardware anymore, they still cater to these individuals with the latest OS X releases. This is a much more extreme case. I see Apple as a very accommodating company. I don't believe customers will be alienated or disenfranchised. As far as customers being upset about an update too soon, "That's technology." -S. Jobs
  • Reply 6 of 230
    Quote:

I agree with ya there, but Apple cut the price and left a big hole to be filled by a better version. I think that Apple is going to be very aggressive with their iPhone. If you go to http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ you'll see that all Apple products get hardware updates about every 200 days or so. A March release would put iPhone 2.0 right in that sweet spot.

I disagree with your use of the word "alienate" ... although a new iPhone would have new hardware capabilities, the general software is going to be very similar if not exactly the same. Think back to when Apple switched to Intel, even though they don't incorporate PowerPC processors into their hardware anymore, they still cater to these individuals with the latest OS X releases. This is a much more extreme case. I see Apple as a very accommodating company. I don't believe customers will be alienated or disenfranchised. As far as customers being upset about an update too soon, "That's technology." -S. Jobs

I don't recall ever seeing iPods being updated every 200 days.
  • Reply 7 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

I don't recall ever seeing iPods being updated every 200 days.

check the link, its all there.
  • Reply 8 of 230
    Quote:

... I see Apple as a very accommodating company. I don't believe customers will be alienated or disenfranchised. ...

The first thing that Apple must accommodate is AT&T's infrastructure in the US and its off-shore partners' infrastructure abroad. The upgrade cycle for infrastructure improvements is much greater than 200 days. The software architecture of the iPhone allows substantial increases in functionality. This is happening already. But, hardware upgrades? Beyond models with more memory, don't count on them for another 18 months. As much as you may wish otherwise, wishing will not make it so.
  • Reply 9 of 230
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    We know that they've said Asia (presumably Japan) in 2008. I'd say it's a good bet that would be the time to introduce a new model that would be available both for Japan and for Europe and the US.
  • Reply 10 of 230
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    16GB iPhone is coming in March. 3G iPhone is coming in October '08. And yes, both are guesses.

32GB iPhone is not coming soon enough, I'm gonna try to hold out for that.
  • Reply 11 of 230
    Quote:

The first thing that Apple must accommodate is AT&T's infrastructure in the US and its off-shore partners' infrastructure abroad. The upgrade cycle for infrastructure improvements is much greater than 200 days. The software architecture of the iPhone allows substantial increases in functionality. This is happening already. But, hardware upgrades? Beyond models with more memory, don't count on them for another 18 months. As much as you may wish otherwise, wishing will not make it so.

AT&T already has a handful of 3G capable phones.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...martphones.jsp

They are also investing hundreds of millions of dollars in expanding their 3G network.... Japan is already beyond 3G... and European mobile networks have invested billions in building up their 3G networks; they want those networks used.... what infrastructure are you talking about? Maybe I missed the point??
  • Reply 12 of 230
    Quote:

They are also investing hundreds of millions of dollars in expanding their 3G network.... Japan is already beyond 3G... and European mobile networks have invested billions in building up their 3G networks; they want those networks used.... what infrastructure are you talking about? Maybe I missed the point??

I think that you missed the point entirely. I live in the heart of AT&T country. In my state, we have two cities with 3G coverage by AT&T. Sure, the company is working like a Trojan to expand its 3G coverage. However, it was not nearly there when the iPhone was introduced. It is not there now. It won't be there for quite a while yet.

Whine if you want about what other people have in other places. The fact is that 3G coverage worldwide is not nearly pervasive as people like you would have us believe. Just like in the US, it is spotty to non-existent in many areas. It is all good and fine that Japan is moving beyond 3G. However, the iPhone is not yet in Japan and neither are either of us.
  • Reply 13 of 230
    Quote:

I think that you missed the point entirely. I live in the heart of AT&T country. In my state, we have two cities with 3G coverage by AT&T. Sure, the company is working like a Trojan to expand its 3G coverage. However, it was not nearly there when the iPhone was introduced. It is not there now. It won't be there for quite a while yet.

Whine if you want about what other people have in other places. The fact is that 3G coverage worldwide is not nearly pervasive as people like you would have us believe. Just like in the US, it is spotty to non-existent in many areas. It is all good and fine that Japan is moving beyond 3G. However, the iPhone is not yet in Japan and neither are either of us.

No whining going on here, I live in Albany NY, we're on schedule to get 3G by the years endhttp://thebreakingnews.com/showarticle.php?articleID=6223 Where exactly is the "Heart of AT&T Country"? See, in Albany, the population is somewhere around 94,000 ... and for Cingular/AT&T to be putting 3G there says a lot. Either they know something you don't ... or they can't count.
  • Reply 14 of 230
    Quote:

... See, in Albany, the population is somewhere around 94,000 ... and for Cingular/AT&T to be putting 3G there says a lot. ...

New York is Verizon country. Because you live in highly populated area of a large state, several wireless providers are competing for your business. Again, there is no dispute that AT&T and its competitors are working hard to provide 3G. The point that I am making and the point that you don't seem to understand is that you can't use the service that AT&T will have in the future. You can only use the service that your provider has now.

The service provided by AT&T now in Upstate New York is spotty, at best. At least, this is what its coverage map shows. AT&T 3G service is limited to just four New York cities: Buffalo, New York, the Hamptons, and Rochester. As of October 31, 2007, 3G has yet to go online anywhere in the Albany area. Or do you know something AT&T doesn't?
  • Reply 15 of 230
    Quote:

I'm gonna say that Apple will release the details of an iPhone 2.0 in January at the Macworld Expo, and have it go on sale in March. ... I'm guessing that a 16GB iPhone with 3G is right around the corner.

Quote:

The point that I am making and the point that you don't seem to understand is that you can't use the service that AT&T will have in the future. You can only use the service that your provider has now.

Okay, I said that Albany is getting 3G by the end of 2007, and I'm guessing 3G iPhone in March 2008 ... I'm not planning on trying to use 3G service before March '08 here... you got yourself in such a tizzy you missed the original point.
  • Reply 16 of 230
    The only thing keeping me from buying an iPhone is ATT's very slow EDGE--and I'm sure there are many who feel the same---

3G is a MUST for the iPhone---

Can't it be made downward compatible for those without 3G?
  • Reply 17 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

The only thing keeping me from buying an iPhone is ATT's very slow EDGE--and I'm sure there are many who feel the same---

3G is a MUST for the iPhone---

Can't it be made downward compatible for those without 3G?

Yeah, I believe the term is "its reverse compatible" ... I've heard people explain it by saying: "the same way playstation 1 games work in playstation 2, but playstation 2 games don't work in playstaion 1" -if that helps
  • Reply 18 of 230
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wazup5416km View Post

OK. So I'm in the market for a new phone and I would really like to get the iPhone because it has everything and more with what I want and need.

Then what is the problem? Seriously.

If it has what you want, and you are in the market then go for it. For me the iPhone doesn't have what I want so I wait for something better to come along..

Quote:

But I don't want to buy one and have a newer updated version come out a month or two later.

That should have no impact what so ever on your decision to buy. What you are basically saying with this phrase is that you really don't want an iPhone. What you want is to be able to say you have the latest and greatest iPhone. That is two different things.

Quote:

Can any of you guys tell me when a new one will come out?? (Even if it's just a rumor that you read somewhere on the web!)

Why? You can't find your own rumors?

Now I can make projections about what might come out, but these are only allusions to how I would develop the product line.

Sometime in January or February the current iPhone gets rev'ed with more flash. This is simply an issue of the right technology being available.

Also soon next year Apple releases a low cost iPhone based somewhat on the old Nano platform. This will take advantage of patents that they have for using a click wheel to dial numbers. The goal here is to have a device with Cell and iPod capabilities and not much more.

iPhone MAX is released in the spring. This would be a larger device that takes cues from the Newton, the Touch, the iPhone and other PDAs/Tablets. It would still be a pocketable device but would have an enhanced feature set. This iPhone would have a larger screen both in physical dimensions and pixel count. It would of course be 3G, have an advance chip set for the computer and lots of Flash. Supported radios would be 3G Cell, WiFi, BlueTooth, FM, and shortwave. Since this device is slightly larger in width, to support a bigger screen, it will need an adapter for standard iPod bases, physical I/O would also include a master USB port, headphone jacks of course and an antenna plug.

Someplace in the wreck of a product line up there will be a direct replacement for the Newton. That is a tablet that doesn't really fit in the pocket. It will be large enough to support steno sized screens and have an optional cell modem. This will still be an ARM device but will have four cores to make up for ARMs execution deficit with respect to X86. The device will have WiFi, a huge amount of storage, handwriting recognition that works and of course Bluetooth.

Quote:

That'd be really helpful!

Well I'm not sure how we can really be helpful. You do realize it is all speculation on this forum?

Quote:

Frankly screw them!!!!!!!!!! I'm really tired of all the whiny people in this world that can't deal with progress. Any one that can't accept that new and improved iPhones will be coming is an idiot, it is much a part of life in the electronics world as death is in the living world. Improvements to the iPhone will happen when the technology and marketing practices allows it to happen.

Quote:

The software architecture of the iPhone allows substantial increases in functionality. This is happening already. But, hardware upgrades? Beyond models with more memory, don't count on them for another 18 months. As much as you may wish otherwise, wishing will not make it so.

I agree that the software functionality is slowly increasing over time. That is obvious. For the current design iPhone I would have to agree that it will be limited to a memory upgrade in the short term. The problem is the iPhone simply doesn't have enough memory for the average iPod user. But that is not all there is to be with respect to hardware.

For Apple to be competitive as a Cell phone manufacture they need a lower cost device. A basic iPod/Cell for people that don't need or want a smart phone. There is also a reasonable demand for a larger Cell phone that can function better as an internet tablet lie device. Such a device would be a good platform to introduce 3G on as the battery could accommodate it easier.

In any event it really isn't a question of wishing for something and trying to make it so. Rather it is a matter of looking at what Apple needs to be competitive in the market place. Apple in some ways does have a lead on the market, but there are glaring holes into which it can fall if it doesn't get cracking on an improved software suite for the iPhone. In any event Android offers up enough incentive to keep Apple at the grind stone.

Dave

Dave
  • Reply 19 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Then what is the problem? Seriously.

If it has what you want, and you are in the market then go for it. For me the iPhone doesn't have what I want so I wait for something better to come along..

That should have no impact what so ever on your decision to buy. What you are basically saying with this phrase is that you really don't want an iPhone. What you want is to be able to say you have the latest and greatest iPhone. That is two different things.

Why? You can't find your own rumors?

Now I can make projections about what might come out, but these are only allusions to how I would develop the product line.

Sometime in January or February the current iPhone gets rev'ed with more flash. This is simply an issue of the right technology being available.

Also soon next year Apple releases a low cost iPhone based somewhat on the old Nano platform. This will take advantage of patents that they have for using a click wheel to dial numbers. The goal here is to have a device with Cell and iPod capabilities and not much more.

iPhone MAX is released in the spring. This would be a larger device that takes cues from the Newton, the Touch, the iPhone and other PDAs/Tablets. It would still be a pocketable device but would have an enhanced feature set. This iPhone would have a larger screen both in physical dimensions and pixel count. It would of course be 3G, have an advance chip set for the computer and lots of Flash. Supported radios would be 3G Cell, WiFi, BlueTooth, FM, and shortwave. Since this device is slightly larger in width, to support a bigger screen, it will need an adapter for standard iPod bases, physical I/O would also include a master USB port, headphone jacks of course and an antenna plug.

Someplace in the wreck of a product line up there will be a direct replacement for the Newton. That is a tablet that doesn't really fit in the pocket. It will be large enough to support steno sized screens and have an optional cell modem. This will still be an ARM device but will have four cores to make up for ARMs execution deficit with respect to X86. The device will have WiFi, a huge amount of storage, handwriting recognition that works and of course Bluetooth.

Well I'm not sure how we can really be helpful. You do realize it is all speculation on this forum?

Frankly screw them!!!!!!!!!! I'm really tired of all the whiny people in this world that can't deal with progress. Any one that can't accept that new and improved iPhones will be coming is an idiot, it is much a part of life in the electronics world as death is in the living world. Improvements to the iPhone will happen when the technology and marketing practices allows it to happen.

I agree that the software functionality is slowly increasing over time. That is obvious. For the current design iPhone I would have to agree that it will be limited to a memory upgrade in the short term. The problem is the iPhone simply doesn't have enough memory for the average iPod user. But that is not all there is to be with respect to hardware.

For Apple to be competitive as a Cell phone manufacture they need a lower cost device. A basic iPod/Cell for people that don't need or want a smart phone. There is also a reasonable demand for a larger Cell phone that can function better as an internet tablet lie device. Such a device would be a good platform to introduce 3G on as the battery could accommodate it easier.

In any event it really isn't a question of wishing for something and trying to make it so. Rather it is a matter of looking at what Apple needs to be competitive in the market place. Apple in some ways does have a lead on the market, but there are glaring holes into which it can fall if it doesn't get cracking on an improved software suite for the iPhone. In any event Android offers up enough incentive to keep Apple at the grind stone.

Dave

Dave

uh... ok. I wish you were a bit nicer but thanks for the info!
  • Reply 20 of 230
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I agree that the software functionality is slowly increasing over time. That is obvious.

Not that obvious. The biggest features has been the iTunes WiFi Store app and ringtones. That's about it outside of bug fixes and optimizations. It hasn't been slow, it's been glacial. They've got a lot, and I'm mean a lot, of work still left to do for the iPhone, and they can't staff up quick enough.

The SDK can't come soon enough (I imagine an SDK helping Apple as much as 3rd party developers, if not more). Safari should have a Flash plugin. iPhone Safari should have a plugin architecture period. There should be a To Do app (or functionality existing in Mail). Notes should be better. There should be a much more functional calculator (scientific option at least). There's probably untold improvements needed in Mail and Messaging applications. There's definitely untold number of UI improvements left to do everywhere in the device. There's just a lot to do.

It's amazing the as-shipped software has been that good.

Quote:

For the current design iPhone I would have to agree that it will be limited to a memory upgrade in the short term. The problem is the iPhone simply doesn't have enough memory for the average iPod user. But that is not all there is to be with respect to hardware.

Couldn't agree with more on a low end version of the iPhone in the $150 to $250 range. And it'll need to be smaller. Perhaps a 3 inch 320 x 480 version around 4" x 2" in length and width. 8 and 16 GB storage would be the minimum for a low end and high version of the low end iPhone. At least UMTS (~750 kbit/s) data network. All the normal iPhone apps (with many, if not all, of them having to be redesigned for a smaller screen). And I'm sorry to say, that text input will likely have to be through a soft T9 keypad. After spending a month overseas, I afraid T9 is going to be like the QWERTY of cell phones. People are already used to it and it'll be just too difficult to get people to change. Apple will have to have a low end version if they want anything more than 1% market share in the cell phone market.

I think the current iPhone has a lot of room for improvement in the hardware front. HSDPA/HSUPA is obvious, and possible by 2Q 08, when low power 3G chipsets should be in mass production. So, a 3G version of an iPhone Apple would like to ship should be possible by Summer 2008. I say a version Apple would like to ship because they could have shipped a 3G iPhone in June if they wanted. It would probably have to be 18 mm thick, but it was definitely possible. I also think there is room to grow the screen to 4 inches by reducing the size of the Home button (like the iPod touch), growing the screen more towards the earpiece, and growing towards the sides as much as physically possible. So, 4" at something like 600 x 400 or 640 x 400 if Apple wants to use a 16/10 aspect ratio. Lastly, there should be a 100 to 160 GB HDD version.

Don't think I agree with on an UMPC or tablet version. The market is pretty small for such a thing, unless it can become a real note-taking educational and e-book type device.

So to answer the original post, I think the version 2 of the iPhone will appear in April/May 2008 as a 3G device with 16 GB memory. But I also think a low end iPhone will appear sometime in the Summer. Apple desperately needs that low end iPhone, not to mention a large storage version (at least 64 GB) either.