Good Riddance AppleInsider!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Your pop-under audio ads were the last straw.

I can tolerate pop-up ads, but when you took over my speakers, nearly giving me a heart attack in the process, you clearly crossed the line!

You just killed the goose that laid the golden egg. You're never getting any of my clicks again.

Good riddance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I can tolerate pop-up ads, but when you took over my speakers, nearly giving me a heart attack in the process, you clearly crossed the line!

You just killed the goose that laid the golden egg. You're never getting any of my clicks again.

Good riddance!

You don't have to get so mad over a small thing like that. They've had those kind of ads around for a long time.

I do have to admit that when I have my speakers on and I get those kind of ads, they do freak me out. But I just get a good laugh and keep working.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Thank you for your participation. Have a nice day!
  • Reply 3 of 29
    odd.... I've never heard an audio ad on here. In fact, I've never gotten a pop-up/under ad on here.

Oh yeah!... I selected "Block Pop-Up Windows" in preferences rather than whining to the world... now I remember!
  • Reply 4 of 29
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    What pop-up ads? Never seen one.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Me neither......

Funny how that works.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    i've never had a popup ad here
  • Reply 7 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    See you next week!
  • Reply 8 of 29
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Good riddance!

You DO realize that Kasper doesn't get to approve the ads beforehand right? This complaint of yours is akin to Earth getting hit by an asteroid and somebody saying "Damn it, I knew Bush was going to do something like this!"
  • Reply 9 of 29
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    We all have a threshold of ad tolerance. Yours has been passed. We hate to see you go
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Wow... who pissed in your cornflakes?

Bye-bye....
  • Reply 11 of 29
    There's this amazing thing called a pop-up blocker...
  • Reply 12 of 29
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

You DO realize that Kasper doesn't get to approve the ads beforehand right? This complaint of yours is akin to Earth getting hit by an asteroid and somebody saying "Damn it, I knew Bush was going to do something like this!"

People say that all the time. You need to drop in to AI/Political Outsider. I think Bush was just blamed for the extinction of the dinosaurs in there.

Nick
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

People say that all the time. You need to drop in to AI/Political Outsider. I think Bush was just blamed for the extinction of the dinosaurs in there.

Nick

Have you seen a dinosaur in Texas recently?
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

Have you seen a dinosaur in Texas recently?

I saw a bushasaurus once...
  • Reply 15 of 29
    I see pop-up ads briefly on AppleInsider in Safari for Windows on my work PC.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Real Batman View Post

I saw a bushasaurus once...

Too bad those aren't extinct.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Something has changed with the way ads are handled here on appleinsider. My popup blocker in Safari has always worked but today I am noticing quick pop under windows that do disappear quickly but they were never visible before.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    The Safari popup blocker SUCKS. I don't get any popups on AppleInsider but I get popunders elsewhere all the time. To add to that, it doesn't allow you to temporarily disable popup blocking with a keyboard shortcut, and it doesn't allow site whitelisting.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "You DO realize that Kasper doesn't get to approve the ads beforehand right?"

He may be a bit overblown, but the ads here suck royally, and Kasper does have a choice--he could leave and join another ad network that isn't so slimy and creepy. They are exceptionally sh!tty ads, which luckily I rarely see--I can't imagine in the long run that this is a winning plan for ad revenue.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The new Crucial ads are crazy distracting. A 600 vertical skyscraper in the centre of the browser.