Four states dominate Apple's retail store revenues

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
(ifoAppleStore) Not all states are created equal when it comes to Apple Inc.'s retail store operation, both in the number of stores in each state and their contribution to nearly $1 billion in revenues each quarter.

Not surprisingly, California leads the 201-store chain in total revenues, according to those who have seen the figures for the third fiscal quarter of 2007. California totaled almost $185 million in revenues for the quarter, with 36 stores open -- the most of any state -- and only partial revenues tallied for two of the chain's newest stores.

Lagging behind California in revenues were New York, Florida and Texas, all states with at least 12 retail stores open. Their revenue contributions totaled from $56 million to $107 million for the quarter.

Together the four states contributed over $410 million of Apple's retail store revenues, or about 45 percent. More significantly, the top four states tallied more revenues than the stores in all other 30 states combined.

At the bottom of the Q3 revenue pack were several states with just a single store, reporting revenues in the $5 million range each. Those states include Nebraska, Iowa and Alabama.

An analysis of average store revenues by state shows that the big revenue states fall in the middle of the range of revenues. New York's 11 stores led all states with an average of nearly $9 million per store, no doubt boosted by the highly successful SoHo and Fifth Avenue stores. The five stores in Illinois placed second with $7.1 million in revenues per store on average.

The total revenue leaders of California, Texas and Florida reported revenues in the $4 million to $5 million range.

At the bottom of the Q3 average revenue list were the single-store states of Nebraska and Iowa.

Gary Allen is the creator and author of ifo Apple Store, which provides close watch of Apple's retail initiative. When Gary isn't busy publishing news and information on Apple's latest retail stores, he finds himself hanging out at one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    What states are "W" and "M" ? All states have a standard two-letter codes.

Also, what happened to Virginia? The original Apple Store was in Tyson's Corner, VA. We went there and that's where my wife decided she wanted an iBook years ago. Have they closed that historic store?
  • Reply 2 of 26
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Also, what happened to Virginia? The original Apple Store was in Tyson's Corner, VA. We went there and that's where my wife decided she wanted an iBook years ago. Have they closed that historic store?

No, VA is still going strong, and it makes no sense that it's not included. There are several stores here in a very high income metro area, so I would imagine it would place them up near the top 5.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

That's a good question. I'm awaiting a reply from Gary. We'll update the story once we have an answer.

Best,

K
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

No, VA is still going strong, and it makes no sense that it's not included. There are several stores here in a very high income metro area, so I would imagine it would place them up near the top 5.

I know of 4 stores in VA, at least. Pentagon City and Clarendon do quite well, while Tyson's is the first retail location. It does solid sales volume. It seems a little strange that they skipped those locations. Does anyone else think this is fishy?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    I'd be interested to see the international store statistics, too. Any idea if those will be available soon?
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Delaware is leaching sales from MD, PA and NJ due to it's tax-free status. People are quite willing to drive an hour to save $150 in sales tax.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ctwise View Post

Delaware is leaching sales from MD, PA and NJ due to it's tax-free status. People are quite willing to drive an hour to save $150 in sales tax.

I'll have to think about that when I make my yearly trip to Ocean City, MD (you can literally walk to Delaware from there!) Is there an Apple Store in Bethany Beach, or Rehoboth?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

I'll have to think about that when I make my yearly trip to Ocean City, MD (you can literally walk to Delaware from there!) Is there an Apple Store in Bethany Beach, or Rehoboth?

There shouldn't be.

That area is a wasteland.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    This quote confuses me:

Quote:

Together the four states contributed over $410 million of Apple's retail store revenues, or about 45 percent. More significantly, the top four states tallied more revenues than the stores in all other 30 states combined.

How can the top four be 45% of revenues, but still tally more revenue than all other 30 states combined. Wouldn't the top 4 stores need to be 51% in order for that to be true?

or are they counting international stores as well?
  • Reply 10 of 26
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

I would assume W is Washington because there are 4 stores there and WA wasnt on the graph.

maybe they got confused by Washington and WashingtonDC and that is why they left VA off...
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Drive a few miles West from the Delaware Memorial Bridge on 95 to the Christiana Mall. When you're done, exit 4 on 95 will zip you back to 1 South and you're all set.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    That really surprises me considering the huge construction going on in downtown SLC. The whole place is torn up for a $500 million dollar revamp and the Apple store is still going strong. Makes me think that when the construction is done the store will move up the rankings.

I wonder how they'd do with an Apple store in the burbs?
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Can somebody explain how the top four states have 45 percent which is somehow larger than the 55 percent portion of the other states combined, as stated in the article.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    All the Apple stores:

http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist/

The Short Hills, NJ Mall store has been closed for a couple of months. It's set to re-open this weekend, I think (they sent me an email about the reopening).

The only one in Delaware is in the Christiana Mall. If you bring a spouse, also bring money unless you plan to lock her/him in the car while you shop at Apple. This is a BIG mall, no sales tax, and easy to get to. http://www.shopchristianamall.com/ht...edirectory.asp
  • Reply 15 of 26
    The Nebraska figures don't surprise me. They located the store in a brand new upscale shopping mall way out on the west edge of the city, I live in Lincoln, and it is quicker for me to get there then for 60% of the people in Omah. Where as Nebraska Furniture Mart is more centraly located, and better known. I know they sell alot of Apple stuff. I was surprised they didn't open the store at Westroads, there would be alot more traffic there, and easier to get to.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I'd sure like to know why VA was left out with 5 stores:

Arlington, Clarendon

Arlington, Pentagon City

McLean, Tysons Corner

Norfolk, MacArthur Center

Richmond, Short Pump Town Center
  • Reply 17 of 26
    I'm surprised IL (5) isn't higher on the list. When CompUSA closed its IL stores, they left only one in Rockford (which is a retail sewer). Around the time they were shutting down here, a store manager told me the majority of their traffic was for Apple-related goods.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:

The DE Apple Store is in Newark, about an hour north of Rehoboth.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Yes, this has been one of my (minor) irritants with the Apple Stores; they're not located in all 50 U.S. states. Now, I'm willing to accept the "where the people are" reasoning but that only explains the 35(!!) stores in CA. Shouldn't Apple have at least 1 store in each state, too?

What really rubs me the wrong way is that in my state, S.C., where internet sales are not taxed, Apple Store Online, nonetheless, issues a tax because there are "Apple retail sales" in the state. BS!! Put an Apple Store somewhere here and I can accept that excuse...but resellers are not retailers. FYI, one CompUSA for the whole state, too.

I need to move!! \

/
  • Reply 20 of 26
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I would assume W is Washington because there are 4 stores there and WA wasnt on the graph.

maybe they got confused by Washington and WashingtonDC and that is why they left VA off...

I second Washington State for the W.

There are only 4 possible states, WI is taken.

washington, wyoming, west viginia, wisconsin

Apple would make a killing if they would just put some more stores in WA. All the stores are in the Seattle area leaving out a lot of the population. There are a lot of people who dislike Microsoft in this Microsoft state. They are tired of this convicted criminal of having it's way.