Apple announces Final Cut Express 4, slashes pricing

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    I bought final cut express education in england. i now go to school in america can i buy the upgrade for $99? because there is no way i am shelling out $179. If i buy the upgrade will it work.. or am i just not supposed to buy it? this upgrade seems pretty small really so i dont know if ill bother!
  • Reply 22 of 33
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Very good deal on the upgrade

I good deal yes but not a great deal. With the price drop to $199 the upgrade should have been change to $79. That would then be a great deal.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:

* Upgrade information: Requires a previous commercial version of Final Cut Express (version 1, 2, 3, or HD 3.5) for installation. Academic and not-for-resale versions are not eligible for this upgrade.

Apple's education discount has always been screwed up because they apply it equally to institutions as well as students. The non-upgradable thing makes might sense with students because they are supposed to graduate and should move up to the regular version after that, but it makes no sense for institutions. The university where I work is often able to negotiate cheaper prices for software from Apple, but not always, and something like Final Cut Express that is not so commonly used gets left out.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

With new updates, Apple is weaning the educators off of the 50 percent discounts of the past.

Actually I just checked the Apple Education store and it is only $69 or 65% off the regular price of $200

I think it is a good deal but LiveType is really showing it's age and needs to be replaced with Motion Express.

Also the previous version of Final Cut Express included Soundtrack 1.5 but that is no longer bundled with it.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,006member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Actually I just checked the Apple Education store and it is only $69 or 65% off the regular price of $200

For "Final Cut Express 4?"

What Apple Education store are you looking at?

Maybe I can pick up a new MBP for $799!
  • Reply 26 of 33
    im looking at the education page now... its $179 to buy no upgrade is avaliable.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

For "Final Cut Express 4?"

What Apple Education store are you looking at?

Maybe I can pick up a new MBP for $799!

Sorry, I was looking at institutional pricing not individual pricing.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,006member
    Quote:

Bummer...
  • Reply 29 of 33
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:

You got a link you can share for institutional pricing?
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

You got a link you can share for institutional pricing?

Sorry, unless you are a recognized educational institution you can't get that pricing.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

Sweet! A new version that can import iMovie '08 projects and costs 1/3 less than the previous version. I can't wait to see what Apple is going to do with Aperture 2.0 and if it will go from $299 to $199. With prices this low people might move from iMovie to Final Cut Express and maybe even iPhoto to Aperture. Moving from iPhoto 6 and earlier to Aperture is a no-brainer for me, but iPhoto 7 might keep people from moving.

I'm hoping Aperture comes out with much better books then current. I would like leather for clients as well as larger sizes. If Aperture is for pros, why make us print somewhere else?

Rich

RichGetz.com
  • Reply 32 of 33
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiocollective View Post

Soundtrack is no longer in final cut express! that sucks. and the student price went up. This is a big deal when you are looking at this for 100 students for the video and audio classes.

Maybe that's why it's cheaper, one less app to maintain. I wonder the intention is to use Garage Band instead.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe that's why it's cheaper, one less app to maintain. I wonder the intention is to use Garage Band instead.

Maybe the AVCHD codec forced Apple into a situation where they had to rethink Final Cut Express. According to Steve, AVCHD was difficult to work with in iMovie and couldn't be done in FCE, which is why iMovie '08 is a brand new application. FCE had to be updated to support AVCHD and be able to import iMovie '08 projects so they looked at it with fresh eyes. As far as Soundtrack is concerned, Apple might have cannibalized some audio features and absorbed them into FCE so we have access to their functionality without needing a separate application that has nothing to do with video.