Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.1 Update for Leopard users

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released Mac OS X 10.5.1 Update, its first maintenance and security update to the new Leopard operating system which is recommended for all users.

Mac OS X 10.5.1 is available as a 110MB download and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac, Apple says.

The following improvements for both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs are included in this update:

AirPort

Allows password-protected accounts on AirPort Disks to show up on in the Finder's Shared Sidebar.Resolves an issue with saved passwords for wireless networks.

Back to My Mac

Improves the reliability of Back to My Mac-enabled Macs appearing in the Finder's Shared Sidebar.Improves compatibility with D-Link NAT gateways.

Disk utilities

Restores the functionality of the progress bar during permission repairs in Disk Utility.Addresses an issue that could produce an alert when creating disk images using Disk Utility or Terminal.Improves disk partitioning when multiple RAID sets are created on the same disk.

iCal

iCal alarms are now more reliably delivered via email.Resolves an issue when inviting attendees via a CalDAV account.

Mail

Improves stability when resizing columns in the message viewer or switching between Stationery templates in email messages.Addresses an issue in which attachments enclosed inside an HTML link may not be clickable in email messages.Fixes an issue with email accounts added using the "Simple Setup" feature in which messages cannot be sent due to an SMTP connection failure.Improves Smart Mailboxes compatibility with .Mac Sync, and addresses an issue with To Do's disappearing when using Smart Mailboxes.Resolves an issue with syncing Mail accounts with .Mac in which multiple On My Mac folders appear in the Mailbox pane.

Networking

Addresses an issue in which Microsoft Windows shared folders may be read-only when connected via SMB.

Printing

Resolves an issue in which user-selected values on Paper Feed PDE are reset to default while saving a custom preset.

Security, Firewall

Addresses a code signing issue; third-party applications can now run when included in the Application Firewall or when whitelisted in Parental Controls.In Security preferences' Firewall tab, the "Block All" option is now called "Allow Only essential services".Includes recent Apple security updates..

System and Finder

Addresses a potential data loss issue when moving files across partitions in the Finder.Resolves an issue with login after turning off FileVault for a specific user account.Improves compatibility with Adobe Flash-based uploaders used by .Mac Web Gallery and certain other websites and applications.Resolves a potential text drawing issue with certain Adobe Flash-based websites and applications.

Time Machine

Addresses formatting issues with certain drives used with Time Machine (specifically, single-partition MBR drives greater than 512 GB in size as well as NTFS drives of any size and partition scheme).Resolves an issue in which files restored in Time Machine may be restored to the backup hierarchy rather than the folders to which they belong.

Mac OS X 10.5.1 Server

Apple also released Mac OS X Server 10.5.1 Update [110MB] which delivers several improvements, including:

Server Preferences

Addresses an issue which could block adding external users to a newly-created group.

NetBoot

Addresses an issue in which 10.5.x-based software images could lead to an unresponsive NetBoot client.

Open Directory

Addresses an issue blocking control of client application access when usernames contain non-ASCII characters.Addresses intermittent Password Server errors.

SMB File Service

Addresses an issue in which Microsoft Windows clients may misinterpret shared folders' ACL settings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    Don't see anything about the freezing issue seen here. If anyone with the freezing issue applies this and it resolves the problem PLZ let me know. Waiting for that one to be fixed before dropping my $$.

Thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 102
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Gonna take my chances with the update. Holding breath...
  • Reply 3 of 102
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Alright, here it goes...
  • Reply 4 of 102
    What freezing issue?

Did this make anyone's computer explode?
  • Reply 5 of 102
    lablab Posts: 10member
    Just 39MB with Software Update...?
  • Reply 6 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

What freezing issue?

No.

The new iMac's are having freezing problems, people are asking if the update fix's the problem.

I'm restarting the computer now....*cross's fingers X)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lab View Post

Just 39MB with Software Update...?

Yip, only 39mb for intel's
  • Reply 7 of 102
    Yeah, guys, you might wana fix that, it's only 39mb.
  • Reply 8 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

What freezing issue?

i think he mite mean the new iMac freezing issue. not sure though
  • Reply 9 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

There is a difference between Apples downloads page and an Intel-only update via Software Update.
  • Reply 10 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

The stand-alone DMG file you can download from Apple's website really is 109 MB. It probably contains all the updates relevant to every hardware configuration.

The 39 MB download you got from Software Update probably pares the download down to only include updates for the hardware and optional software components that are actually present on your particular machine.
  • Reply 11 of 102
    Great! I'm finally able to connect to my WPA2-Network (again).

Plus: Time Machine now calculates correct sizes when excluding folders...

Keep ipfw running... Gotta build trust in the fancy new firewall
  • Reply 12 of 102
    Someone over at TUAW posted a link to a PDF list of the contents in the update. I'll link it here.

I was looking through the list and on page 12, there is a chunk of file updates to ATI drivers. Not sure if these are the same drivers for the ATI cards in the iMacs that are locking up, but if they are, I am waiting to hear word on whether this in fact might fix the freezing issue. I upgraded to Leopard then retro-graded back to Tiger because of the freezes.

UPDATE: Just looked more at the pdf and the ATI driver updates stretch from page 12 to page 19! I am holding a glimmer of hope that they've fixed the freezing issue with this.
  • Reply 13 of 102
    mbaynham, lfmorrison - thanks. Must be it.
  • Reply 14 of 102
    Ok, downloaded!

I checked disc utility and now it shows the progress!!!

Awesome, it's I guess kinda snappier on startup.
  • Reply 15 of 102
    I was hoping that individual folder views would now stick correctly, but they still don't...
  • Reply 16 of 102
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Back from 10.5.1 update and so far so good.

Although I thought the same thing on my Mac Pro with the 10.4.11 update which hosed my Weather and Stocks widgets. More on that drama in another thread but one more reason to upgrade it to Leop! (Damn you production boxes!)
  • Reply 17 of 102
    I was hoping to see updates to x11, restoring the same functionality as Tiger's x11. Does anyone have insight on the matter?
  • Reply 18 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polar315 View Post

Don't see anything about the freezing issue seen here. If anyone with the freezing issue applies this and it resolves the problem PLZ let me know. Waiting for that one to be fixed before dropping my $$.

Thanks.

Over at the MacRumors forum some people are claiming that there is another update for iMacs. I am not sure if it appears only after installing 10.5.1, but you might want to hop over there and ask.
  • Reply 19 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    My Keychain and .Mac issues appear to be fixed.
  • Reply 20 of 102
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    I noticed that when I ran repair permissions, I got a lot of errors that have been reported by other users on Apple's forums.

Anybody else see them?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....41488&tstart=0