Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update for Tiger users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    I'm running Leopard right now, but on an external drive i've got Tiger, so I switched over and did the update and I can definitely notice the little speed increase. And it's running off of USB to my mini

But now I'm back in Leopard, nothing beats leopard.

I haven't had any bugs whatsoever with leopard, been running it for 2 weeks now.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    "Various issues with certain Apple Dashboard widgets like Unit Converter, Calculator, and Stocks are also addressed in Mac OS X 10.4.11."

My Stocks and Weather widgets are now broken - can't retrieve any data. These are Apple-supplied widgets.

As noted by others, PithHelmet is broken for now, but they usually come up with a fix soon after a Safari update - hope they do. As a substitute, SafariBlock seems to be working okay...
  • Reply 23 of 55
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    Well done! Now lets wait for 10.5.1
  • Reply 24 of 55
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    After upgrading to 10.4.11 my Weather and Stock widgets have also bailed. I had the Safari 3 beta installed prior to the update but I doubt that's the cause. I can click the city name in the widget and open the weather page in Safari. Other widgets like Radar in Motion, iStat and my BART Widget are fine.

Other than this one issue the update has been fine so far.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    I upgraded to 10.4.11, now Photoshop and Illustrator crash right after finished loading, no error no warnings!!!

*FIXED* by rebooting mac os, strange.. BUT it's working now
  • Reply 26 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugodrax View Post

What a crappy app. I keep trying to install it on my leopard machine and it keeps giving me an error.

haha Good one
  • Reply 27 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool View Post

After upgrading to 10.4.11 my Weather and Stock widgets have also bailed. I had the Safari 3 beta installed prior to the update but I doubt that's the cause. I can click the city name in the widget and open the weather page in Safari. Other widgets like Radar in Motion, iStat and my BART Widget are fine.

Other than this one issue the update has been fine so far.

My (Intel) upgrade yesterday evening from 10.4.10 to 10.4.11 went OK (just in case anyone's worried). As usual, a long wait to reboot.

I've been unhappy with Safari 3.0.3's stability (crashes) and forgetfulness of saved log-ons and passwords after restarts (either of Safair or the OS due to memory fragmentation). So far, no crashes. It still forgets logons and passwords that Safari 2 remembered.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    This update killed my mac. It won't start back up and is stuck on the grey screen that pops up on boot with the little "spinning circle" action going. Left it like that for about an hour - no change. Shutdown (manually) and waited about 30 minutes to reboot - same thing.

I won't lose any critical data, but my wife did not backup to the NAS, so if this require fresh install, she's in trouble.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkovach View Post

This update killed my mac. It won't start back up and is stuck on the grey screen that pops up on boot with the little "spinning circle" action going. Left it like that for about an hour - no change. Shutdown (manually) and waited about 30 minutes to reboot - same thing.

I won't lose any critical data, but my wife did not backup to the NAS, so if this require fresh install, she's in trouble.

Try unpluging any USB devices. I know OS X tends to do this same thing to me if I leave my iPod plugged in during a reboot.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkovach View Post

You can archive & install, preserving users and settings, then run the combo update, and you won'y lose any apps, prefs, or data.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris v View Post

You can archive & install, preserving users and settings, then run the combo update, and you won'y lose any apps, prefs, or data.

I cannot get target disk mode or my systems disks to load. The computer freezes after about 10 sec of gray spinny thing on startup. Now what. I have a 1.25 Ghz mini (G4). Anyone else? Lots of other post have variations of the problems shown here. The fixes are all using startup disks with Terminal or Target Disk Mode. Not going to do it in my case....
  • Reply 32 of 55
    OMG! Did this update really fix my iCal problem??? The icon no longer bounces after I close an alarm!

• Reply 33 of 55
    I'm so pleased Apple gave us old timers some love... Tiger is running great on my 12" iBook w/ 1.2 GHz, and 768 ram. Safari is definitely improved.. refreshing brings you right back where you were, vs. the top of the page. It is handling ram leakage better, but not great. Thanks to MemoryCell for keeping me up to speed regarding any app's ram usage. It is snappier all around. One little side note, but I've noticed that if I put in the zip code vs. the city's name, I get much more accurate results in the weather widget, at least with previous versions of OS X. Also if the startup takes too much time I always do another reboot, and it'll boot up right quick.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    So far so good. No problems for me. Sorry to hear that others are having issues.

Will now give Safari another look.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wettej01 View Post

From what I can tell, 10.4.11 does NOT include the drivers to any of the Santa Rosa hardware...

I think you're right: I'm finding that the updated 10.4.11 NetBoot Image I'm creating is kernel panicing non-Santa Rosa machines, but working fine on the SR. Is anyone able to verify this? Or has anyone gotten a 10.4.11 NetBoot to work on these chipsets? Thanks.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    To anyone working on NetBooting 10.4.11 on the Santa Rosa chipset, I've started a thread here at Apple's DIscussion Board:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....4123&stqc=true

Thanks.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    updated with no issues (that I can find) seems snappier and safari 3 seems more stable, I was previously using 2 and it kept falling over for some reason.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugodrax View Post

I keep trying to install it on my leopard machine and it keeps giving me an error.

Be thankful that the upgrade software detected your mistake.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

OMG! Did this update really fix my iCal problem??? The icon no longer bounces after I close an alarm!

No, I was mistaken.....nevermind.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

updated with no issues (that I can find) seems snappier and safari 3 seems more stable, I was previously using 2 and it kept falling over for some reason.

I've been playing around with Safari 3 and so far I'm impressed. Blazing fast and no crash landings yet. Camino's days could be numbered for me.