Adobe updates Photoshop CS3, releases Lightroom 1.3

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Adobe on Friday updated Photoshop CS3 to version 10.0.1 and also released Photoshop Lightroom 1.3, which includes additional support for Apple's new Leopard operating system.

Photoshop 10.0.1

The Adobe Photoshop 10.0.1 update [170MB] addresses a number of issues discovered after Adobe Photoshop CS3 and Photoshop CS3 Extended (10.0) software were released, Adobe said.

The most significant fixes in the Photoshop 10.0.1 update include:

The speed of moving objects contained within multiple layer sets has been improved.Converting images to CMYK using certain profiles no longer results in black files.The Save for Web feature now includes an option to "Include XMP" (metadata) in the settings menu within the main Save for Web interface, making the existing capability easier to access.When using Save For Web with "Include XMP" enabled, all XMP data is now included in the optimized file.Print color matching has been improved.Images saved as DICOM and reopened in Photoshop CS3 are no longer corrupted on PowerPC based Mac computers.

Lightroom 1.3

Lightroom 1.3 [47.2MB], an update to Adobe's photography workflow software, delivers updated Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard support and bundles additional camera support for the Canon 1Ds Mark III, Nikon D3, Nikon D300, Olympus E-3, and more.

Lightroom 1.3 also includes the following enhancements:

The import dialog now offers the option to render 1:1 previews as part of the import processThe export dialog layout has been enhanced.A Lightroom Preview Export SDK is available for developers to create and distribute Export Plug-ins. Further details are located on Adobe Labs.

And corrects the following issues:

Writing XMP metadata automatically has been corrected for performance issues.Printing with the native resolution option enabled no longer sets the wrong dimension for portrait oriented images.Prior to Camera Raw 4.3 there was the possibility that artifacts in edge transitions could be introduced through the.Bayer demosaic and luminance noise reductions algorithms. This has been corrected.The Canon sRAW format and the Fuji compressed RAF formats are now supported.

Photoshop CS3 is part of Adobe Creative Suite 3.0.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I'm afraid that the most significant change to 10.0.1 is that a Photoshop 7 and InDesign 2 serial number will no longer support the upgrade package for CS3 apps. PS7 was broken by Leopard, and all of a sudden it is no longer listed as one of the versions from which you can upgrade with discounted upgrade pricing. I don't know how long PS7 has been removed from Adobe's online store, but the change occurred at the Apple Store Online on Monday evening while the "order status" system was down for "scheduled updates". I ordered CS3 Design Standard on Monday morning as an upgrade from PS7, and Tuesday morning, it was no longer an option to upgrade from PS7. Unfortunately, Apple has screwed the pooch on this one, and I guess I'm the pooch, because they haven't actually turned over the package to FedEx for my Monday order that was to be overnighted. I'm afraid when I finally get it, that it will be a 10.0.1 package and it won't upgrade from PS7. I'll return here to confirm if they ever manage to get it to me.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macbear01 View Post

... I guess I'm the pooch, because they haven't actually turned over the package to FedEx for my Monday order that was to be overnighted. I'm afraid when I finally get it, that it will be a 10.0.1 package and it won't upgrade from PS7. I'll return here to confirm if they ever manage to get it to me.

You won't get a 10.0.1 disc.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Mac Pro, OSX 10.4.11, Photoshop CS3 (basic edition, not Extended edition), Wacom Intuos 3 graphics tablet:

'Save' in an Action either played or in Button Mode during editing of an open file (Psd or Jpeg) saves an icon regardless of Image Preview settings in Pshop Preferences.

See screenshot hosted at:

http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?i...icture1in8.png

Images in folders much more legible when no icon saved and Mac view options set to show Icon preview.

Originally under CS2 and CS3 beta on same machine to turn off this behaviour I unclicked 'Icon' and 'Full Size', leaving 'Macintosh Thumbnail' and 'Windows Thumbnail' clicked.

Have tried unclicking all four options - see hosted screenshot - combinations thereof as well as the 'Never Save' and 'Ask When Saving" options, problem persists.

'Save' selected from File menu as normal or as keyboard shortcut works fine, no problem.

Problem present whether mouse or Wacom tablet used to click Action button.

This behaviour not present in CS2 or CS3 beta. Uninstalled CS3 to check this, problem immediately no longer present under CS2 on same machine whether mouse or Wacom used to click.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    It's too bad they took all this fucking time to come out with an update and that's all they fixed. How about fixing exposé when you are in maximized or fullscreen mode? Stupid idiots.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

I'm afraid that the most significant change to 10.0.1 is that a Photoshop 7 and InDesign 2 serial number will no longer support the upgrade package for CS3 apps. PS7 was broken by Leopard, and all of a sudden it is no longer listed as one of the versions from which you can upgrade with discounted upgrade pricing.

I checked the Adobe Products page for Photoshop CS3 and the upgrade tool still shows $199 upgrade pricing from 7.0, CS, or CS2...
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Actually, if you read the project manager's blog, he says the most significant aspect of the update is a reworking of the printing engine. There is a whole PDF dedicated to explaining how to implement it and what was fixed.

Go here to read all about it.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I cant find this update anywhere on the Adobe website, i must be super stupid coz every link I try leads me nowhere, they all seem to end here:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/?notFoundID=null

And then when i try searching through the crap Adobe system all I get is:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...form=Macintosh

which doesn't show any of the recent CS or ACR 4.3 updates.

What gives?

Has anyone actually managed to download this update?

• Reply 8 of 16
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rashumon View Post

I cant find this update anywhere on the Adobe website, i must be super stupid coz every link I try leads me nowhere, they all seem to end here:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/?notFoundID=null

And then when i try searching through the crap Adobe system all I get is:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...form=Macintosh

which doesn't show any of the recent CS or ACR 4.3 updates.

What gives?

Has anyone actually managed to download this update?

Just go into Applications | Utilities | Adobe Utilities | Adobe Updater 5 and run the updates from there. ;-)
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i386 View Post

Just go into Applications | Utilities | Adobe Utilities | Adobe Updater 5 and run the updates from there. ;-)

Not if they're using illegal copies.

• Reply 11 of 16
    Photoshop Lightroom is not part of CS3, as of now AFAIK.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    If I run Adobe updater it just sits there trying to find something for 5 minutes before eventually crashing. And yes my copy is legitimate and legal.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    I can't see any new update to Lightroom on adobe's site? Only the 1.2 update..
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

I checked the Adobe Products page for Photoshop CS3 and the upgrade tool still shows $199 upgrade pricing from 7.0, CS, or CS2...

I didn't just want to upgrade Photoshop. I have both Photoshop 7 and InDesign 2. I could upgrade both of them separately for the same price for which I could upgrade to Creative Suite 3 Design Standard, which includes PS and ID as well as Illustrator and Acrobat, so CS3 Design Standard is the package I wanted. I went back and looked at Adobe's online store again this morning, and it shows PS7 and InDesign 2 as valid versions from which to upgrade to the CS3 Design Standard package. I swear it only showed CS1 and CS2 versions on Monday morning, but I'm glad that it is there now, even if it means I am losing my mind.

[update] I was just looking around Adobe's site some more, and apparently, the upgrade options show different things depending on where you look at them. I was looking to see what the differences were between PS CS3 and PS CS3 Extended. While doing so, I clicked an Upgrade Link on the PS CS3 Extended page and saw a tab named "Upgrade Tool". After clicking on it and choosing Photoshop 7, InDesign 2, and Pagemaker 6.5 as products I own, I was shown $899 as the cost of the upgrade to the CS3 Design Standard package. Even though Photoshop 7 was still an option for upgrading, the price was $500 higher. [end update]
  • Reply 15 of 16
    I still can't find the update, it's like Adobe removed it ?!?

But they still write about it on adobe.com so this makes no sense at all.

Further more, after downloading the current 1.2 update that is availabe from abobe, Lightroom now refuses to change the module to Print.

Please, does someone have a suggestion or helpful idea?

Thx.

Update: Somehow Lightroom works fine again, no problems switching modules.. *puzzled*
  • Reply 16 of 16
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

After clicking on it and choosing Photoshop 7, InDesign 2, and Pagemaker 6.5 as products I own, I was shown $899 as the cost of the upgrade to the CS3 Design Standard package. Even though Photoshop 7 was still an option for upgrading, the price was $500 higher.

Welcome to the New Adobe. They really screwed the long time power users when they started with the whole CS concept because we already had all of the titles but purchased them individually. So just because you have multiple apps, it is just as expensive to upgrade to CS3 as if you only had one app. As discouraging as it seems, you really don't have a choice, bite the bullet.

I don't foresee Adobe moving away from the suite concept anytime soon so you have to jump in sometime, might as well be now since PS7 doesn't work in Leopard anyway.