Apple releases firmware fix for freezing aluminum iMacs

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    Hmm, so I guess the iMac wont be updated, anyone know when will Apple update the iMac line? January 08?

Oh yeah and so far they are no freezing issues? Thats good to hear
  • Reply 42 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Wrong. It's in and part of an Apple product.

Is GM responsible for airbags that don't inflate or the airbag manufacturer? You better believe GM is responsible. It obviously wasn't tested properly. Apple's fault.

You are absolutely correct. It (the ATI part) is part of the Apple product. Apple selected the vendor, tested the part, accepted the part.

As a design engineer I have worked with Japanese customers for several years. I can tell you that they never accept a wimpy excuse about the problem in MY product having been the fault of one of my vendors. It is my product, and I (alone) am responsible for its performance. End of story.

Having said all that, I haven't read anything about Apple complaining that it is the fault of ATI. As a new Mac used I feel that Apple did the responsible thing and provided a fix in a pretty reasonable timeframe. So far . . . . I am happy with Apple's support.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    Well, seems like my iMac isn't one of those that need the update. I had it running under Tiger for 1 day with no freezing, then the last few days under Leopard with no freezing. There is a sticker on the shipping carton that says "09/09/07", so i guess it is not a brand new iMac and it has been in a storage for a while...
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I imagine the whole design issue will have to be addressed with LEDs and OLED displays in the near future.

The whole thinner is better is a silly marketing ploy.

Stable, cooler and quieter is best.

I spend my day looking at the screen not checking its depth.

One of the best tactics in design of whatever description: architecture, graphic, mechanical, electronic, couture etc, leaving "elbow room" pays.

In this case I am sure the excessively tight internal layout is the root cause of the problem and was easily avoided.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

The whole thinner is better is a silly marketing ploy.

Stable, cooler and quieter is best.

I spend my day looking at the screen not checking its depth.

One of the best tactics in design of whatever description: architecture, graphic, mechanical, electronic, couture etc, leaving "elbow room" pays.

In this case I am sure the excessively tight internal layout is the root cause of the problem and was easily avoided.

I agree. I doubt after an initial setup if many users would notice if the iMac were an half inch thicker. But I bet fewer problems would ensue.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Since very few people are updating you guy son this issue, I guess I will put in a word.

I have had zero freezes since the update when it was released.

Come on people, Mac sales are relying on this fix.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    about effing time... apple was denying this problem months ago after extensive complaints on their discussions forums.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    thanks for the updates. Looks like the update has resolved the issue and I can buy it without looking like a goof shortly afterwards....Early Dec purchase so still a few weeks off...
  • Reply 49 of 53
    I installed the update 4 days and 3 hours ago, and my iMac has been up continuously for 4 days and 3 hours. It hasn't been up for more than a day without a freeze before this, so my feeling and my guess is that the problem is solved (for me, anyway!)
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toxotes View Post

I installed the update 4 days and 3 hours ago, and my iMac has been up continuously for 4 days and 3 hours. It hasn't been up for more than a day without a freeze before this, so my feeling and my guess is that the problem is solved (for me, anyway!)

Glad to learn that :-)
  • Reply 51 of 53
    I'll add that I was having problems with a new iMac locking up at random (performing a "Save" or "Save as..." in Pages, surfing in Safari, ...). Downgraded to Tiger until 10.5.1 and the graphics firmware patch came along. Took a chance on upgrading again to Leopard and applying the patches and haven't had a freeze since. All is well and enjoying Leopard finally.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    everything still working fine. i think its been nearly a week? but yes, i believe the fix was for real this time.

=]
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Had freezing since update 1.2 that went away when I reverted back to 1.1 with Pacifist. Installed leopard and instead of freezing, I was getting artifacts and black screens. Took it to the apple store and they told me I need a new card.

The card has yet to come in yet, so I took my computer back home until it does. I installed the firmware fix and I have been problem free for 3 days (knock on wood).

I'm cautiously optimistic that this problem is now resolved. I will hold off getting a new card now.