Appletalk Protocol

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does any one know where I can download the AppleTalk Protocol for XP Pro. XP doesn't give me an option to add it in network properties and also can't find it any where on my XP Pro CD. It's starting to piss me off tomorrow I will be setting up an older PC running 2000 Advanced Server and I know that will have AppleTalk but I would like to have it installed on my XP pro Desktop computer also. Any help would be good thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by BrianMacOS:

<strong>Does any one know where I can download the AppleTalk Protocol for XP Pro. XP doesn't give me an option to add it in network properties and also can't find it any where on my XP Pro CD. It's starting to piss me off tomorrow I will be setting up an older PC running 2000 Advanced Server and I know that will have AppleTalk but I would like to have it installed on my XP pro Desktop computer also. Any help would be good thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't think XP supports the Apple talk protocol. Here is the tech doc from M$ on that:

<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q305989&"; target="_blank">M$</a>

PC MacLan software might work.

[ 11-03-2002: Message edited by: trailmaster308 ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    My god that pisses me off. I am surprised MS has done that. Oh well I'm bring home my server from school tomorrow and that will be running Win2k Advanced Server and will have Appletalk on it. I'm getting a 500mhz p3, 384 sd ram, some cheaper graphics, 17" monitor, 40 gig hd, keyboard and mouse from my school for less than 100$ It's in nice shape to I work for the school so I was first on the list for these comps.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I don't know the logistics of your situation and all the components involved, but why not use TCP/IP? OS X is slowly dissolving AppleTalk in favor of TCP/IP.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by DHagan4755:

<strong>I don't know the logistics of your situation and all the components involved, but why not use TCP/IP? OS X is slowly dissolving AppleTalk in favor of TCP/IP.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How do I tell my ibook to use TCP/IP instead of ATalk than?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by BrianMacOS:

<strong>

How do I tell my ibook to use TCP/IP instead of ATalk than?</strong><hr></blockquote>

System Prefs.

Network

Apple Talk tab - uncheck the make apple talk active box (don't have to but I would)

TCP/IP - choose how to configure for network. if you are joining an existing domain/network and you have a DHCP server/router choose DHCP and you will automatically get an IP address. If not post how you want to set up the network and we can help you out configuring it manually.