What's the useful life of an iBook display?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
We've retired the iBook G4 in our house. I've decided to put it in the kitchen, primarily to browse the web when we need to look up a phone number or a recipe. I thought that since it'll be centrally located, it would be nice to use it as a picture frame and have the screen saver display an iPhoto album or feed from my server.

My question is, what kind of life can I expect from the display? I want to just set the screen saver options and forget about it, so I'd be setting the energy saver options to never sleep, not dim the display, and to never put the display to sleep.

If I can count on getting a nice photo display for at least 2 years, that would be great. But if running the display 24/7 is going to mean it'll die within a few months, I'll probably find another use for this machine.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mototom View Post

We've retired the iBook G4 in our house. I've decided to put it in the kitchen, primarily to browse the web when we need to look up a phone number or a recipe. I thought that since it'll be centrally located, it would be nice to use it as a picture frame and have the screen saver display an iPhoto album or feed from my server.

My question is, what kind of life can I expect from the display? I want to just set the screen saver options and forget about it, so I'd be setting the energy saver options to never sleep, not dim the display, and to never put the display to sleep.

If I can count on getting a nice photo display for at least 2 years, that would be great. But if running the display 24/7 is going to mean it'll die within a few months, I'll probably find another use for this machine.

Thoughts?

I'm just making an educated guess, and I think it should last at least 2 years. However, I would recommend you set the computer to sleep between hours where you/your household is sleeping if possible. This could shave 25% or more time, saving you screen lifetime, and energy usage.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I would say forever. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatne1wuddo View Post

However, I would recommend you set the computer to sleep between hours where you/your household is sleeping if possible.

That's not a bad idea. Anyone know of an application that could update my energy saver settings based on a schedule?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mototom View Post

That's not a bad idea. Anyone know of an application that could update my energy saver settings based on a schedule?

System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> "Schedule..." kinda does that.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> "Schedule..." kinda does that.

\

Wow. Never even looked at that before. That's really cool. Thanks.