Quake 3 And Display Hz

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi all i have a Sony display and every time i play Quake 3 it sets the display at 120hz which i find to be too high.....doesn't that use up the displays life quicker? Any ways there isn't a easy GUI way of telling quake to go at a lower rate in the options so is there a code i can use so it stays at 75hz? I have RTCW and it plays at 75hz why can't quake 3 do too? By the way this is all in OS X.

I hope someone can help.

Frank_t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Yes, add this line to your q3config.cfg file:

seta r_maxDisplayRefresh "75"

I don't know if using higher refresh rated shortens the life of a monitor.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Yes, add this line to your q3config.cfg file:

seta r_maxDisplayRefresh "75"

I don't know if using higher refresh rated shortens the life of a monitor.</strong><hr></blockquote>

When you say add to your q3config.cfg what do you mean do i open that file with the text app? or just type it in with the ~ key and type it in there? and will it stay at that res or do i have to re type it every time?

Thanks for the help

frank_t
  • Reply 3 of 6
    You're right; you can do either.

a) Use a text editor to add it to the actual config file located at ~/Application Support/Quake3/baseq3/

b) Bring up the console (by default, use the ~ key) after launching Quake 3 and enter the line. Then relaunch Quake.

Unless you change the display settings again, this setting should stay.

[ 11-03-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 6
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Hey it worked! Thanks again...i hope they pay you well there

Frank_t
  • Reply 5 of 6
    My question is kind of along these lines so I will ask it in here.

Can you edit the cfg file to get a customer screen size also?

I see where it says "seta r_customwidth" and "seta r_customheight" but changing those do nothin for me.

I've tried to get Q3 and Jedi Knight to play in higher quality Widescreen aspect ratio on my iMac17. I'd love to test it out at 1400x900 (native rez).

Any other suggestions?

ps. I see that there is a "seta r_customaspect" set to "1". Do I need to change this?

Thanks
  • Reply 6 of 6
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    frank_t:

Running your display on higher refresh rate should do nothing to its life.

On the contrary, even if you don't consciously notice the better refresh rate after a certain point (for most people: around 85Hz) lower refresh rate still irritates your eyes more than a higher one. The difference registers in your subconscious too, and even though you might not be able to tell the difference at a glance, it makes a difference after a day staring at the screen.

Use all of your 120Hz and be happy.

- Gon