Stacks!?! why do you use them?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Yep. Just do this, just do that, if YOU WORK HARD ENOUGH, do what we say, keep your chin up high, and do all the right things you're supposed to do, modify this and modify that, well, maybe then the OS will be decent enough for you to stomach.

Well, guess what? I just don't subscribe to that notion. My deep seated problem is that I've been an Mac OS user for over 23 years. I learned to expect better. But I'm not one of those OS 9 or bust guys; I've been an early X adopter for years. My fault I guess.

Here's what I've learned about being a newly infected member of the Apple lepard colony:

Leopard is the new Teenage OS.

It's all about iTunes. All the Finder "browsers" look exactly like iTunes. It's the iTunes generation; it's the iTunes OS.

Welcome to iTunes OS. Drop the Mac moniker, let's call it what it is.

It's all about shit moving back and forth. Zippy graphics. Lists in weird curves popping up, keeping little boys & girls who have less than 5 seconds of attention span busy. Keep them busy.

This is not about smart or intelligent computing. It's the Teenage OS, the iTunes Generation.

I've been an OS X supporter since 10.0. But today, now, this is really awful. For the first time EVER, I cannot and will not upgrade all my systems until these speedbumps on the road to success are plugged and/or fixed.

Let's face it, Siracusa was right when he said that the new requirement to set the View in every damned Finder ? was basically a denial of service attack by Apple.

I'm tired of this crapola. Give me something I can work with, PLEASE.

sorry for trying to be helpful...
  • Reply 22 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ste View Post

Walk a mile in my shoes, brother. Try actually using Stacks for 24 hours then tell me it isn't the biggest load of bollocks ever forced on the Mac community.

Man, I'm glad I've decided to hold off on Leopard. Junk like Stacks is just too infuriating.
  • Reply 23 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

How about this solution:

Add a 3rd view option: List View

Single click a list-view stack and the old style pop-up list comes up. The main difference being, list view used to be invoked via the right mouse button and now it would be a normal, left click. This would make stack viewing behavior consistent across all views while not adding any interface complexity. (Double click could open the stack's actual folder.)

Seems so simple it is mind boggling that it isn't an option. I'm willing to bet it will be in less than a year. Let's just hope it is in far less time.

On the other hand, they could just get rid of the Finder's list view in order to make things consistent. After all, who needs an efficient listing of files.

Forget that... I'm sticking with my one-button olde fashioned mouse. Two button mice make me sick. OS9 for 2008!
  • Reply 24 of 83
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Let me get this straight, you are no longer able to do this in Leopard?

• Reply 25 of 83
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Let me get this straight, you are no longer able to do this in Leopard?

Nope,

You simply click on it in the Dock and this is what it looks like:

• Reply 26 of 83
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    ... and that's the best case because there are so few items in Utilities and they have nice, distinguishable icons.

I couldn't find any folder with over ~150 items on my computer. Those still open as normal. I'd like to know how Stacks behave at 1k and larger amount of items.

A Smart Folder, just like an alias to a folder, won't open as a stack and you still do not get to right click and drill down. WHYYY?
  • Reply 27 of 83
    Well, I just installed Leopard, and now I see that what used to be a way to open a frequently-used window by clicking on its icon in the dock has become a way to get a sort of pseudo-window, in icon view only, without any of the navigation controls you get in a finder window or any way of burrowing into your data.

This is called 'Stacks' and it is utterly, totally, retarded.
  • Reply 28 of 83
    Message for Steve Jobs,

Stacks allot for ruining a workable computing environment and making Vista seem more appealing.

It's bad enough that the majority of scanners do not work with Leopard (yet), but those stacks!

Steve, what were you thinking?

I am beginning to believe that you have changed strategies at Apple.

It's no longer about "thinking different", it's more about "looking cool".

Question for the regulars:

Would you switch back to Tiger if Apple offered you a 100% refund?
  • Reply 29 of 83
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr fish View Post

Message for Steve Jobs,

Stacks allot for ruining a workable computing environment and making Vista seem more appealing.

It's bad enough that the majority of scanners do not work with Leopard (yet), but those stacks!

Steve, what were you thinking?

I am beginning to believe that you have changed strategies at Apple.

It's no longer about "thinking different", it's more about "looking cool".

Question for the regulars:

Would you switch back to Tiger if Apple offered you a 100% refund?

Pardon me, but you're a fool. Do you even own Leopard? It's great. Stacks works well and makes things easier to find. There are few minor bugs, such as icons not always updating, but those are minor. Like it or hate it, I sure as well wouldn't say Vista is better.
  • Reply 30 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Pardon me, but you're a fool. Do you even own Leopard? It's great. Stacks works well and makes things easier to find. There are few minor bugs, such as icons not always updating, but those are minor. Like it or hate it, I sure as well wouldn't say Vista is better.

Pardon me, but who is the fool, the fooled or the fool who follows him?

I am a proud Leopard owner.

For the most part, Leopard is good.

Once all of the problems are fixed, we will have a better system, but the Stacks are horrible and many folks from all around the Internet agree.

Fact: There are no scrollbars with Stacks (in either view).

Fact: There are no options for scrollbars or arrows to make the list "scroll".

Fact: If given a choice, most people I've interacted with would agree that it was better before Stacks.

Just because I don't like a "feature" does not give you the right to falsely accuse or judge - these are all opinions and we have rights to publish our opinions here on this forum.

You are not god and I am not your slave. Get over it. Goodbye.
  • Reply 31 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smee View Post

Nope,

Not again. This is incredibly annoying when it comes to opening files and folders nested within folders.

Why does Apple insist on getting rid of this navigational method? They first got rid of it with the introduction of OS X. They finally put the feature back into the folders residing in the Dock, a great solution by the way, now they take it away again. Lame Apple, very lame.
  • Reply 32 of 83
    Quote:

Once all of the problems are fixed, we will have a better system, but the Stacks are horrible and many folks from all around the Internet agree.

Fact: If given a choice, most people I've interacted with would agree that it was better before Stacks.

Just because I don't like a "feature" does not give you the right to falsely accuse or judge - these are all opinions and we have rights to publish our opinions here on this forum.

I see. So you need to rely on others to back up your opinion. I can find just as many people that like stacks as you can find that don't like it. And my opinion on the topic is no less valid than yours. In fact, since you're the one that posted the following, I think we can safely say you've gone off the road a little in your criticism:

Quote:

Neither of those statements is reasonable, whether you love or hate stacks. That is why I said what I did to you. It has not "ruined" the computing environment nor has it made Vista more appealing. Really, take some sort of pill.
  • Reply 33 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I can find just as many people that like stacks as you can find that don't like it.

That's not the ponit. The disagreement here isn't that stacks are necessarily bad, they do have a useful function, it is the removal of the hierarchical menu that has people upset including me.

Apple could have added stacks as a new UI function without destroying an already successful existing one.

That is what the discussion is about.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    Quote:

Not only do I agree with your former post, but I just wanted to commend you on the subsequent.
  • Reply 35 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smee View Post

Nope,

I am definitely not "upgrading" now.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdnc101 View Post

Not only do I agree with your former post, but I just wanted to commend you on the subsequent.

I like Leopard.

I just added an adapter to connect another monitor and it's amazing.

Now I can have two different background pictures and when I activate "spaces", I see double the amount of spaces and if you set the resolution just right on the other monitor, it looks pretty nice.
  • Reply 37 of 83
    I never liked hierarchical menus: I have a hard time find things in the mountain of text. Stacks are fine. Icons are easy to distinguish quickly, unless they're shitty icons like the ones Adobe used for CS3.

It ain't Leopard's text-search (best thing in Leopard by miles), but I think Stacks are pretty snappy.
  • Reply 38 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I never liked hierarchical menus: I have a hard time find things in the mountain of text. Stacks are fine. Icons are easy to distinguish quickly, unless they're shitty icons like the ones Adobe used for CS3.

It ain't Leopard's text-search (best thing in Leopard by miles), but I think Stacks are pretty snappy.

I agree. I've seen some screen grabs of some people's hierarchival setups and frankly it's a mess to my eyes. What I'd like to see is an easy way to scroll in large grid views and a way to lock in a folder icon. Showing me a preview of the last sorted item is cool but I really need a static icon that represents what I'm familiar with.

Really I use Stacks all the time. My download folder has aliases to other folders and I can quickly pop a stack open and drag items to the proper folder alias.

It's not perfect but certainly not as horrific as some have portrayed.
  • Reply 39 of 83
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    The original question is "Stacks? Why do you use them?"

The answer, obviously, is because fvcking Apple didn't leave us any other choices in Leopard. The net effect of their sh!tty implementation is that I use the Dock even less than I used to, which I actually thought wasn't possible.
  • Reply 40 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I agree. I've seen some screen grabs of some people's hierarchival setups and frankly it's a mess to my eyes. What I'd like to see is an easy way to scroll in large grid views and a way to lock in a folder icon. Showing me a preview of the last sorted item is cool but I really need a static icon that represents what I'm familiar with.

Really I use Stacks all the time. My download folder has aliases to other folders and I can quickly pop a stack open and drag items to the proper folder alias.

It's not perfect but certainly not as horrific as some have portrayed.

I agree. I don't like the hierarchal menus either.