Leopard - UNIX 03 certification

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What is the significance of The Open Group granting OS X 10.5 a UNIX 03 product standard certification? The MacWorld article does not explain what is useful for the average user.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Since the average user does not require a certified UNIX OS, certifying MacOS X 10.5 as UNIX will have virtually no impact at all. For a significant portion of the user base, it means bragging rights on two fronts. MacOS X 10.5 immediately becomes the World's best-selling genuine UNIX port. MacOS X 10.5 is also the first BSD-based OS to receive UNIX certification. For a certain class of customers, particularly those in the Government, MacOS X 10.5 now satisfies specification checklist for UNIX/POSIX-compliant OSes. Although the immediate impact is lies somewhere between negligible and small, I think that this event has significant long-term implications.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Although the immediate impact is lies somewhere between negligible and small, I think that this event has significant long-term implications.

Agreed in full, Mr. Me. You hit the nail on the head, re: gov't spec checklists.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imiloa View Post

Agreed in full, Mr. Me. You hit the nail on the head, re: gov't spec checklists.

And the boasting factor of "Mac OS X is UNIX!"
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiwai View Post

And the boasting factor of "Mac OS X is UNIX!"

Now that MacOS X 10.5 is a certified port of UNIX, UNIX's reputation of being powerful but difficult to use is turned on its head. The most powerful OS is now also the easiest to use.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Now that MacOS X 10.5 is a certified port of UNIX, UNIX's reputation of being powerful but difficult to use is turned on its head. The most powerful OS is now also the easiest to use.

Thanks for the info.

I hope Leopard gets the ZFS file system originally created by Sun Microsystems too.