Revert back to Tiger?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am wanting to revert back to Tiger from Leopard. What is the best way to accomplish this safely?

I use iCal extensively and Apple really messed with it. The added features in Leopard do not add enough real functionality to make me willing to lose solid features.

(Please don't fill the thread up telling me how horrible of a Mac user I am for switching back)

Thanks,

whardy7

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    The absolute safest way would be to use the recovery DVDs that came with your Mac and wipe the machine clean, then re-install the OS.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

The absolute safest way would be to use the recovery DVDs that came with your Mac and wipe the machine clean, then re-install the OS.

Or, instead of wiping the drive clean, install it on an external drive, then migrate everything from leopard to tiger and you can dual boot by pressing the Alt/Option key after the startup chime.

Thats what I did, and it works great!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Sounds great! I was hoping there was a way that did not involve having to restore everything afterward (I knew backing up would be necessary). The external hard drive sounds like the way to go.

Thanks for the responses.

whardy7
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whardy7 View Post

Sounds great! I was hoping there was a way that did not involve having to restore everything afterward (I knew backing up would be necessary). The external hard drive sounds like the way to go.

Thanks for the responses.

whardy7

No problem.

But one thing to mention...

The Tiger backup disk's won't let you install it onto an external drive, so you will first have to make a partition (using disc utility) on your internal drive of about 15GB then install Tiger on that.

Next download Carbon Copy Cloner (its free) to clone everything on the Tiger partition over to the external drive.

The clone will be fully bootable.

Then you may delete the partition you have just made on your internal drive and migrate your Leopard stuff to Tiger using the Migration Assistant (which can be found in your Utilities folder).

That is the exact same procedure I had to go through, to do what you are trying to do, and what I did

Hope this helps,

Parker
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I just got a new lab of macbooks with leopard pre installed. Running a tiger workgroup open directory system and need to get these machines back to tiger.

Any ideas?

It works over firewire and ccc (carbon copy cloner) but certain interfaces dont function (e.g. network port, bluetooth, etc).
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ray.obrien View Post

I just got a new lab of macbooks with leopard pre installed. Running a tiger workgroup open directory system and need to get these machines back to tiger.

Any ideas?

It works over firewire and ccc (carbon copy cloner) but certain interfaces dont function (e.g. network port, bluetooth, etc).

It should work, and yes firewire will work with ccc. But what did you mean by "certain interfaces dont function"???
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Any ideas?

Normally it's not a good idea to downgrade an OS that shipped on a machine. For instance the Current model of MacBooks have an updated chipset *Santa rosa* and they never came with 10.4.x. They also have the newer GPU. Support for these features were never built into 10.4 so will not function 100% *the santa rosa chipset was in the MacBook Pro though*
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Any ideas?

Have you received any official word from Apple on this? I bought a MacBook for the purpose of running ProTools/MBOX for live performance and recording. When I purchased it I did not know that Leopard would be pre-installed.

In any event ProTools does not work on Leopard yet. The obvious temporary solution is to revert to Tiger until ProTools works on Leopard. So far I haven't found a way to do this and until I do I'm unable to use my MBOX.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    And the problem is that you'd have to reinstall the apps too......

1) Clone the drive with SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to an external FW partition.

2) Install Tiger on your boot drive

3) Create your user as "Admin" or some name you're not using on your Leopard build

4) Install all of the software and all of the updates (updates first, of course)

5) Copy your user folders over from your Leopard build onto your Tiger build (into the Users folder)

6) Go to "Add User" under accounts

7) Type in the name of the user account you want to import. It'll say that that name is being used and asks if you want to import that user. Say yes (of course).

My big worry here is that the mail, address book, and calendar formats may have changes, and you might not be able to "downgrade" the databases.