Anyone upgrade 867 MHz PB to Leopard?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a Rev A Aluminum PB. Have 640Mb of Ram and have ordered a 1 gig stick.

Anyone try it yet?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcmac View Post

I have a Rev A Aluminum PB. Have 640Mb of Ram and have ordered a 1 gig stick.

Anyone try it yet?

I have a 1.5 GHZ G4 Pbook with 1.25 GB of memory. Some things do feel a bit slower. Safari is faster for sure though. It's worth it on any machine (Safari so much better now).

Overall, when you get your extra memory in there, I'd say it's not a dumb decision to upgrade. you'll probably be satisfied.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    ke^inke^in Posts: 98member
    Some things are a lot faster on my 1.25 G4, some are slower.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I installed last night on an 867 Mhz Titanium PBook with 512 MB of RAM (I have another 512 stick on the way.) I didn't think it could take single sticks larger than 512? Are you sure the 1 GB will work?

In any case, it installed fine, and is at least as fast as before. I'm happy.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ke^in View Post

Some things are a lot faster on my 1.25 G4, some are slower.

Would that be a desktop or laptop?

I ask because I have a 1.25Ghz G4 Powerbook and am considering a Leapord family pack for it and our iMac G5 iSight and my daughter's 1.33Ghz? Macbook.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    ke^inke^in Posts: 98member
    It's a desktop. With 1.5g of RAM.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    d.mantic: Tibooks take 512MB/slot. You are correct.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I have an 867 Quicksilver PowerMac with 1.5GB RAM, and I am not going to upgrade it.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ke^in View Post

It's a desktop. With 1.5g of RAM.

Thank you for the reply. My laptop has only 1Gb of ram.

I wonder how my laptop's ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 (4X AGP) graphics with 64 MB of DDR SDRAM might effect performance using Leapord. Anyone using a 1.25Ghz 15" Powerbook upgraded to Leapord yet?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    OK, a question for those people who actually upgraded a Powerbook G4 867mz to 10.5. Are you satisfied with the results or did 10.5 degrade performance?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I've not installed Leopard on my internal drive, but I have tested a install on a external firewire 4200rpm drive. (Rev. A Powerbook 12", 640MB Ram, 7200rpm drive)

So my speed-test was with no heavy apps installed.

I was very happy with the speed, I would say it is as fast as Tiger, or even faster, startup may be a little slower, I don't know for sure, but nothing to worry about.

I will not buy Leopard and install it until I am sure that Matlab and QtiPlot do work well on it since I need these apps on a daily basis.

As for speed, you will be happy to know that Quickview and cover-flow do both work. As opposed to the newest macbooks, quickview takes about 3 seconds to show an excel file, but it is still worth it!

I will definitely upgrade as soon as possible.

Good luck!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I added a 1 gig stick of RAM. Makes a pretty good difference. Overall, feels like a new machine. This ought to keep me for awhile until Apple puts out a new small form PowerBook.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I just updated my 1 GHz TiBook (which I would say is the closest PB to your 867 Mhz) and all seems fine. Doing my first Time Machine backup as I write this. I'm really digging the Spaces feature... didn't think I'd really use it all that much at first. It's great to isolate certain app's (like iTunes) to a specific 'Space'. It would be nice to be able to set different desktop bakgrounds though. Only issues (so far) are some Widgets crap out (I miss my Pac Man Widget) and Entourage (v.X) crashes on database rebuilds. My ZBrush won't take the previous serial# anymore, but that's probably not a Leopard issue.

Just curious... what's your total RAM now (both slots)? I didn't think you could put a 1 Gig stick in either the 867 or 1GHz.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    My rev A Alu 12" 867 runs Leopard like a dream. My machine only came with 128MB soldered to the board, but I have put a 1GB stick in the second slot with no problems at all. I've not noticed any slowdowns, and Quicksilver, iPhoto 7 and Safari are all much faster than under Tiger. Network performance is also much improved.

I say go for it. Especially as the machine's weedy graphics mean you won't have to worry about the see-through menubar!
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Overall faster on iBook G4 640mb 933mhz. Yeah go for it should be good on 1gb g4 867mhz...
  • Reply 15 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    What's slower on 10.5 vs. 10.4 on a G4 867mhz w/ 640 RAM?? I'm wondering whether to upgrade my fiancée's PB G4 867mhz (12").
  • Reply 16 of 16
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

What's slower on 10.5 vs. 10.4 on a G4 867mhz w/ 640 RAM?? I'm wondering whether to upgrade my fiancée's PB G4 867mhz (12").

10.4 is slower by a little. But some of the new features in leopard can be a little slow at times, it really isn't that noticeable.

But it would be a good idea to upgrade the PB's memory to 1Gb, then you will have a more snappier experience with leopard (and tiger).

Just my two cents,

Parker