Briefly: iTunes rentals; $100 off Office 2008; BlackBerry iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I'm laughing how all y'all are just dying to buy Microsoft software!
  • Reply 22 of 46
    You DO NOT need MS for anything anymore!

..and why is it that MS can find a way to complicate all of their products..

buy the old one now (but only on a particular day) to get a discount

and you can then buy a special edition of a product we may release in January as opposed to the standard edition...

Just download NeoOffice

I'm sure someone will point out Exchange server blah blah etc etc

Change jobs!
  • Reply 23 of 46
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    It's very possible that current generation iPods could support 720p content. All they need is a firmware update.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmoeser View Post

and you can then buy a special edition of a product we may release in January as opposed to the standard edition...

Just download NeoOffice

Change jobs!

You were making adecent argument against MS' foolish complexities, but thinking people should change jobs because of Exchange server is foolish at best.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

It's very possible that current generation iPods could support 720p content. All they need is a firmware update.

They could support 1080p via a software update too. But anything more than the screen's native resolution requires extra work for the processor. Since video is already the weakest link in regards to battery life severely cutting it down even more is not a very good plan.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

video is already the weakest link in regards to battery life severely cutting it down even more is not a very good plan.

I agree, better avoiding high res on iPods unless there's a decent advantage.

Even processing 480 lines instead of 240 significantly reduces the battery life on 5G ipods (not sure about the classics). With files 4 times bigger, the iPod has to spin up the hard disk 4 times as often to read them. Displaying on TV provides all those lines of course, but watching on iPod does not.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

So I can buy Office 2004 Teacher & Student at Amazon for $124.99, get $100 mail-in-rebate and free upgrade to Office 2008 Media Edition for nominal S&H fee (around $7)?

That about sums it up.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I'm laughing how all y'all are just dying to buy Microsoft software!

Get over your smugness.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corkurk View Post

Does anyone know if the Office 2008 offer will be a full install or just an upgrade disc? My parents have a G5 iMac, so I was thinking about buying and sending them Office 2004, then waiting a couple of months for the 2008 version to be sent to me to install on my MBP.

Would this work, or has Microsoft thought of a way to keep this offer workable on only one computer?

If you follow the links to the article you will see you have two options: one for a one-computer Office license and the other for a five-computer Office license. Download the .pdf rebate coupon for the specifics.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

Get over your smugness.

Repeat after me: We don't need Microsoft Office. We only think we need it in fear of losing compatibility. In 2007 we have enough alternatives. Sure, the die hard MS Office users are going to miss one or two features but hey, we're an intelligent species, you know, adaptable and stuff. Right?
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corkurk View Post

Does anyone know if the Office 2008 offer will be a full install or just an upgrade disc? My parents have a G5 iMac, so I was thinking about buying and sending them Office 2004, then waiting a couple of months for the 2008 version to be sent to me to install on my MBP.

Would this work, or has Microsoft thought of a way to keep this offer workable on only one computer?

You are violating the terms of your license. Upgrades are just that... new versions of your current licensed softwarte. It doesn't make your previous version a sudden freebie for you to give away or sell. Similar to ripping all your CDs to MP3 and then selling your CDs. You need to keep the original full license copy of Office in order to use buy/use/install the 08 upgrade.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Quote:

You were making adecent argument against MS' foolish complexities, but thinking people should change jobs because of Exchange server is foolish at best.

Me thinks thou dost takest my resignation encouragement a little too seriously...

Get an iLife, or rather an iWork

• Reply 33 of 46
    steste Posts: 119member
    So, has it definitely been confirmed that online purchases, such as from Amazon -- made on 11/23, but not received until a week later -- still qualify for this offer?

Microsoft's language on the PDF makes me nervous. Although they do not discount online purchases directly, the wording seems to assume a brick-and-mortar purchase.

Has anyone called the 800 number and asked?
  • Reply 34 of 46
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmoeser View Post

Just download NeoOffice

Change jobs!

Yeah, get a job at Starbucks and you don't even need a computer, Mac or PC. Woo hoo.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Quote:

iTunes Store video purchases are On Demand as you can watch them while it's Downloading. I don't see why rentals would be any different.

By "on-demand" I meant streaming video.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

I think the issue of rental resolution will be an interesting one. Quite honestly, they only need to offer two options- SD or HD. Since the time of the rental is up in the air (1 day? 3 days?) I don't think it's unfair for Apple to assume you know how you're going to watch what you're renting. If you're going to be viewing on an iPod, download the SD version, and HD for AppleTV if you have an HD set. If someone wants to downconvert to HD from SD so that their kid can watch it during the same rental period on their iPod, so be it. I don't think there's a universal option once they start offering in content HD.

As far as circumventing the DRM, I think you'd be dealing with a small minority of renters who would work to get around the DRM, and these are the same people who could get the move off torrent sites if they really want to. Piracy is always going to be a problem, but it's an extreme minority share of the market (I think).

Might not Apple want to encode content in their new ProRes HD format?
  • Reply 37 of 46
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Office rebate only available in the U.S.

That sucks!
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

If you follow the links to the article you will see you have two options: one for a one-computer Office license and the other for a five-computer Office license. Download the .pdf rebate coupon for the specifics.

Thanks for the heads up - I hadn't checked out the pdf yet. Glad to see they're keeping the "3 installations for Student and Teachers Edition" offer around. I work in Higher Ed, so I can actually pick that version up legitimately.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    I can get a copy of mac office for students for about $99 at my student union. I fill in the rebate and get $100 back, and get a copy of office 2008 in january (will be getting the full 1 license one)... I basically get it for free. More than free, as they give me $1 for it. (not including the postage and handling $7)

Why not?

To be honest I wouldnt do it if i had to pay for it... well I may have payed for the $125 amazon one, which would have made it $25. Still cheap.

And you seriously cant compare neo office with mac office! Dont get me wrong, I use neo office and love it, but for all the faults of microsoft, i would still pay $25 for 2004, and 2008. (wouldnt pay more than that though) Come on, who wouldnt go for it?

(here comes the list of those who wouldnt...)
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Has anyone that is not a student or teacher had problems using Office 2004 student/teacher edition?

You don't have to provide proof to register the software do ya?