AOL IM

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
When you are sending somone a file, does your comptuer take an extremely large speed hit? I can receive files fine but even if i try to type when sending somone a file it slows literally to a crawl, like there is a long delay before text appears to what i have typed!

Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I've noticed a slight slowdown, but never a big slowdown.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    sorry i dont mean send file, i mean Direct connection to send an image, that is what lags my computer horribly, sending files is easy adn painless
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I notice this hit also, but only on the window where I am sending the image. Type lag is horrible, and if I try to type it slows the image from sending.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by ast3r3x:

<strong>sorry i dont mean send file, i mean Direct connection to send an image, that is what lags my computer horribly, sending files is easy adn painless</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah that slows down everything a lot.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    DP

[ 11-10-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 11
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    You people who still use AIM...

WTF do you expect from AOL.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>You people who still use AIM...

WTF do you expect from AOL.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What do you expect use to use? iChat? and all of the other AIM clients are lacking certain features.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    yes they do lack features, plus AIM is the original, and although they have a problem or two, i like the interface, it works, and i like the way its set up, i'm used to it and its logical...proteus or whatever is kinda nice but i dont care for the itunes/mail ideology of message organization
  • Reply 9 of 11

<strong>yes they do lack features, plus AIM is the original, and although they have a problem or two, i like the interface, it works, and i like the way its set up, i'm used to it and its logical...proteus or whatever is kinda nice but i dont care for the itunes/mail ideology of message organization</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wow. I thought I was the only Mac usser that felt this way. I'm glad to see that's not the case.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

What do you expect use to use? iChat? and all of the other AIM clients are lacking certain features.</strong><hr></blockquote>

All of the other AIM clients are forced to use TOC rather than OSCAR (what AIM and iChat use) because of something AIM did to the protocol that I can't really remember right now...in any event it keeps them from having direct IM, the ability to view away messages without sending a message and other enhancements that OSCAR provides.

As for using iChat, why not, it's interface wasn't designed by wannabes at least (witness the shite aquafication of AIM.)

<strong>yes they do lack features, plus AIM is the original, and although they have a problem or two, i like the interface, it works, and i like the way its set up, i'm used to it and its logical...proteus or whatever is kinda nice but i dont care for the itunes/mail ideology of message organization</strong><hr></blockquote>

iTunes/Mail ideology of message organization? WTF are you talking about? AFAIK, every AIM client out there (bar iChat with it's bubbles) displays the user's name on the right, followed by the message text. I don't see how Proteus organizes it any differently...?

As for the AIM interface, it is a bloated piece of crap, they added unnecessary junk to the 4.5 message windows, it has ads, uses really crappy looking square aqua buttons, doesn't have spell checking or customizable toolbars, a crappy 'standard' OS X preferences window (which only mimics the real thing in Cocoa, and isn't the best pref window anyway, I prefer the System Preferences-like one used by Proteus, OmniWeb, and others.)

It's also a freaking window Nazi, the windows are way too big for the information that they display, and AIM doesn't have a tabbed messages feature (I really like this about Proteus and Adium.)

Too bad iChat doesn't have this...it would then be perfect.

[ 11-11-2002: Message edited by: Spart ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 11
    iChat would be good if it had more features and was easier to use...reading somnes away message is a bitch, also you can change the way it looks.

Proteus is ok like i said but it has a window to the left with a list of screen names and you click on them like a playlist from itunes to see the messages, i think this can be changed but i'd rather just stay with IM.

AIM having banners does suck, i remember in 9 you could take them out, there was a way posted in resexcellence that was really awesome

AIM might have a generic interface but it works and they seem to be updating it on a timely fashion...somethign apple has not done with ichat, and AIM has every feature i could imagine, alot of proteus and others added features...some usefull, but some not just so they could be different, i'm not syaing i dont like them, but well i like AIM more