burning itunes rippable audio dvd

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey guys, new here, and had a quick question.

After my old mp3 player finally bit the dust, I decided to go and get a new ipod. Before doing that, I wanted to back up all of my old mp3s onto dvds to then copy to my itunes library (as i plan on formatting my computer's hard drive before buying the new ipod, just a little bit of OCD on my part). Unfortunately, after buning one DVD as such, when i went into itunes to make sure that itunes could recognize the disc as an audio disk and then copy it as with any other normal audio cd, it could not recognize it as such.

now, a couple weeks back, my uncle sent me 18 dvds full of his entire collection. the disk file system is udf, as opposed to the cdfs file system that the backup dvds i burned were. the problem is that his dvds are recognized by itunes as containing audio files, so itunes can copy it to the itunes library just like a normal audio cd, even though there are ~1200 mp3 files on each of the disks.

i want to be able to burn my existing library onto dvds that itunes can read as audio cds (like it can with my uncle's dvds) and then rip them. i want to do this as opposed to manually copying the files to the new, clean hard drive and then using itunes to convert them to aac, without installing any programs to rip the dvds into aac files.

in short, how can i burn these data(?) dvds so that they can be directly ripped to aacusing only itunes, like it can with my uncle's dvds.

sorry for the lengthy post, and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Hi there,

What format are all the files on the burned DVDs?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    they are MP3 files? - yes ?

burn them on the DVD as mp3 files

iTunes plays MP3s

iPods play MP3s

wheres the problem?

no need to convert to ACC
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Yes - don't burn a DVD-Audio disc! He's probably using something like Nero, so he just needs to set the software to burn a DVD-ROM of files only... Then just drag his MP3 files into the window and click burn.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Yes - don't burn a DVD-Audio disc! He's probably using something like Nero, so he just needs to set the software to burn a DVD-ROM of files only... Then just drag his MP3 files into the window and click burn.

all of my existing files are mp3, as are those of my uncle's. ive tried burning the discs as dvd-rom discs using nero, in both udf and iso file systems, however, itunes still doesn't recognize that there is a disk in the drive, and so doesnt pull up a list of songs on the disc and ask me if i want to copy them to my library.

like i said, i want to be able to copy the discs of my music to my library as aac, just like with a normal cd album that i might have purchased, since i dont want to have to convert each file from mp3 to aac and i want all of the files on my ipod to be aac.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I might be misunderstanding something here so apologies...

If your music collection has all been created in MP3 format, you will naturally have a loss of quality if you use iTunes to convert them to AAC format. Therefore your best bet would be to rip the CDs from source again. Even if you burn them to DVD as full-quality audio files, the files will still have contain MP3 artefacts.

However if you are happy in doing so, you do not have to convert files from MP3 to full quality and then to AAC, iTunes will convert them directly to AAC for you if you so wish.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Burn them to DVDs as data, just open the DVD from your computer and drag and drop all of the mp3s in it. Then when you need to copy them over put the DVD in, open the DVD in your computer, and drag and drop all of the .mp3s wherever you want (outside of the dvd). Then you can open them in iTunes.