What would you like to see in future Macbooks?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Not coming Apple's notebooks any time soon unfortunately. They made the decision to go with 9.7mm drives for ultra-portables instead of regular 12.7mm notebook drives. In fact there is a slot loading Blu-ray drive already on the market. Dell uses it in the XPS one.

Hopefully we will see this soon then. I'd like to see this next year.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    1. Touch Screen/tablet

2. Tablet-specific applications

3. Light weight

For reference, I dusted off my vintage PowerBook duo 230. It is light weight, although it may have some limitations now a days.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    You bet it might have some limitations, lol.

I voted for the more media ports. What I really want is a simple ExpressCard slot in the MacBooks. Why?

Well, I can stand not gaming on the screen of the MacBook, but when I'm home, I can hook it up to an external video card (that hooks up via ExpressCard) and hook it up to my 22" widescreen monitor and game away! It's a temporary solution until Apple wakes up and finally starts offering options for gfx cards in their notebook line-up.

Because for me, right now, that MacBook is looking pretty overpriced compared to a 13" Dell XPS (which, btw, has been put some thought into in terms of design) with a gfx card built-in AND an expresscard port (and a slot-loading drive with Blu-Ray options).
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Yes, the EspressCard port is a must, for exactly the reason you mentioned.

The world needs a thin & light laptop with a great cpu and way to kick it in to low-power mode. I have a vision of docking my laptop at work, taking it with me when I travel, and using it at home to play games on. Seamless docking and external disk/DVD can make most of that happen, but the ExpressCard slot is needed for the home gaming machine so the extrenal graphics adapter can be used.

I think two of those external gfx enclosures have been announced (Asus & MTI?) and neither have yet been released. This is a product shift that needs to happen.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Hi team;

I look at the Mac Book as being a machine that pretty much fulfills its role as an entry level machine. So I don't expect to see a lot more done to it. I do see these as possibilities:

LED backlighting.

Built in cell Modem

Better batteries - this is a given as technology improves.

A much higher RAM capacity.

Those are four ideas that certainly would improve the Mac book and help it maintain its position in the line up. The problem is it is not what I want to see. I'd rather that Apple went whole hog into a line up of tablet type computers.

Tablets wouldn't be exactly replacements for Notebook computers but rather a different and new segment for Apple. Well partly new, if you consider that the iPhone and the Touch are in fact tablet computers. I see huge potential in this segment. So I'd like to see a whole family of tablets from pocket size up to Mac Book screen size.

Dave
  • Reply 46 of 53
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Built in cell Modem

I think an expresscard slot might be best for this and it allows for a heap of other capabilities.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I think an expresscard slot might be best for this and it allows for a heap of other capabilities.

You're right - it allows the modem to be upgraded by the user - in case a new cell tech arises (think WIMAX). But I also see a limitation here: what if I'm using the express-card slot to get more USB port (since the MacBook is extremely limited to 2 right now, which is horrible) and want to use the express-card HSDPA or EVDO card? I'm out of luck!

Granted, the average home user - the target market of the 13" MacBook - will rarely if ever run into such a scenario, but what if? Well, the Pro lineup should have 2 express-card slots then.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexluft View Post

You're right - it allows the modem to be upgraded by the user - in case a new cell tech arises (think WIMAX).

WiMax isn't exactly cell technology as it was developed by the computer industry not the tele-coms industry. Your point is taken though, as both Cell and WiMax technology continue to evolve. However a 3G modem built it will be viable for a very long time.

Quote:

But I also see a limitation here: what if I'm using the express-card slot to get more USB port (since the MacBook is extremely limited to 2 right now, which is horrible) and want to use the express-card HSDPA or EVDO card? I'm out of luck!

A real issue especially if the form factor of the laptop becomes any smaller. For a small portable I'd go with a built in cell modem first.

Quote:

Granted, the average home user - the target market of the 13" MacBook - will rarely if ever run into such a scenario, but what if? Well, the Pro lineup should have 2 express-card slots then.

I disagree it is very easy to run into issues with a lack of USB ports. Of course the cry we always here is get a hub but that is one extra thing to carry around. The simplest example I can think of is carrying a camera, printer, laptop and one other USB device on a trip. All of a sudden you are into constant swapping if you need access to more than one device. Same thing if you get a USB Cell Modem and need to balance other connecting hardware.

Now all of the discussion above doesn't really highlight what my reasoning is for a Cell Modem. In a nut shell if the modem is built in you will never loose it nor misplace it. Now to many this may sound funny but it is a real issue. Somewhat related is the issue of reliability, a built in modem "should" be much more reliable and would save wear on any "card" port you may have. So built in means knowing completely where that modem is all the time.

From Apple standpoint I suspect that they could leverage a built in cell modem with developers. Especially developers of business class applications. The problem here though is that I see these sorts of applications as high end.

Dave
  • Reply 49 of 53
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

I disagree it is very easy to run into issues with a lack of USB ports. Of course the cry we always here is get a hub but that is one extra thing to carry around. The simplest example I can think of is carrying a camera, printer, laptop and one other USB device on a trip. All of a sudden you are into constant swapping if you need access to more than one device.e

Gee, if you're already carrying all that junk, what's an extra few ounces for a USB hub? Are there really a lot of people on the road with all that? I don't disagree that perhaps there should be three USB ports on Apple portables, but um, that that doesn't seem like the simplest example of why.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

A real issue especially if the form factor of the laptop becomes any smaller. For a small portable I'd go with a built in cell modem first.

And if I don't need a 3G cell modem but an eSATA port instead I should be SOL? Because in a small portable there's a limit to what you can stuff into one.

An expresscard slot allow for folks to decide what they need vs just having a single option.

If you can have BOTH an expresscard slot and a 3G modem, that's fine. Have both. If you can only have one then the expresscard slot is a lot more useful to more people.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

And if I don't need a 3G cell modem but an eSATA port instead I should be SOL? Because in a small portable there's a limit to what you can stuff into one.

If the laptop is small enough it won't have a the room for an express card slot. It might have room however for an in built Cell Modem. It appears that you are missing the point that an express card slot takes up a lot of area. There is really no way to get around that either. With a built in cell feature the actual radio hardware would take up much less space.

So yeah the reality is that you are SOL if the laptop/tablet/ultra***** is to small. It is much like my personal need for compact flash (CF) readers built in. CF is something I use a lot and being able to access it on a portable device would be really nice. I'd be the first to acknowledge though that the easy way out for manufactures is to go with a much smaller form factor for user flash. Why is it easier becasue the smaller form factors allow for much less board are use.

Quote:

An expresscard slot allow for folks to decide what they need vs just having a single option.

I don't doubt that at all. the question is how does one integrate it into a very compact and thing structure?

Quote:

If you can have BOTH an expresscard slot and a 3G modem, that's fine. Have both. If you can only have one then the expresscard slot is a lot more useful to more people.

Actually I have to disagree with this also. The vast majority of the laptop users I know never make use of a card slot. It is common though for people to tether to a cellphone though.

About the biggest problem with a built in cell modem would be the need for another account. If Apple could integrate the laptops cell usage with the iPhones cell usage, so that when one is active the other isn't, that might lead to an incentive to adopt. Of course smart, tethered, cell networking with the iPhone is another possibility.

Somewhere a few days ago I mentioned the possibility of an ultra portable with a port for iPods/iPhones. This I see as having more advantage to the average user than an Express card slot. The portable then becomes the intelligence storage area for the machine. When your needs move from the need to be laptop portable to pocket portable you simply unplug your iPhone and go. There you have all your data and a subset of applications suitable for the pocket device.

Dave
  • Reply 52 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Gee, if you're already carrying all that junk, what's an extra few ounces for a USB hub? Are there really a lot of people on the road with all that? I don't disagree that perhaps there should be three USB ports on Apple portables, but um, that that doesn't seem like the simplest example of why.

Probably not the best example but then again none are perfect. The only point to be made here is that it is easy to run out of ports when you only have two. Hell if you choose to use a wired mouse you are down to one port right away.

The bigger problem I have with all of this is that Intel's chip sets support far more than 2 USB ports and even if the internally used ports are taken into consideration there are ports going to waste. I hate waste. It would be a different story if adding ports cost Apple more hardware space beyond the connectors.

In the case of Apples current laptops I think the lack of ports is a sign of cheapness on Apples part as fitting more into the machine should be relatively easy. If the laptop gets shrunken considerably then there may be a balance act that needs to take place. In any event a rev of the current size MacBooks really need more USB ports.

Dave
  • Reply 53 of 53
    There should be one option more in the poll. And that is a bigger screen.

Ever since the 15 inch ibook went away, a big gap was left. Only having a tiny 13,3 inch screen in the macbook range is stupid. Lot of ppl would buy more laptops if the 15 inch would return. Look at the competition, they have all the sizes in both consumer as pro user ranges.

Apple has always been bad at making what customers want if they don't want to spend $2000 or more. And if they do, they dont take care of it like the mac mini.

So my vote goes to 15 inch macbooks.